PPS-Pro method of fertilizing questions
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fertilizers and Water Parameters

Old 02-19-2013, 09:01 AM   #1
Tayjay76
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

PPS-Pro method of fertilizing questions

Just a couple of questions...One how often to dose the stuff. From what I understand, when you weigh the dry ferts to the amount of grams it says you put the macros in one battle and the micros or trace plantex one in another bottle. I'll use the 500ml bottles, so after I put the ferts in the bottle can I fill it up with my tank water, shake real well, then wait a day?

Another question is how often to dose each bottle, I realize to dose the macro one everyday, 1ml per ten gallons, but what about the trace one? 1 ml per ten gallons every day as well?

Does this system work well, should I start with 1 ml per ten gallons from the start or do half?

It also says to dose ferts before lights come on, can I do it before I go to bed, or does it have to be like an hour before? BTW, I have an angelfish, its a 29 gallon, and the lighting is t5ho two 6500k 24watt bulbs.

That about covers it thanks guys
Tayjay76 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2013, 09:09 AM   #2
creekbottom
Planted Tank Enthusiast

When you add water, use distilled. Leave it overnight and it should be all dissolved by morning. I was dosing a 20 gallon to the recommended levels. I have a T5HO fixture above it as well and running DIY CO2. The algae was getting the better of me. Test your water so you know how much nitrates are sitting in your water, then you'll know how about how much to fertilize. With my fish, and it's not overstocked, I am dosing half the recommended. Before this my nitrates were sky high.

When you dose, do both. I always dosed when I got up in the morning, I would run the lights on a suitable schedule that they were on in the morning for a few hours, then off, and they would come back on later in the day.
creekbottom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2013, 05:36 PM   #3
latchdan
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)

I'm still curious if you are dosing macros/micros everyday as well or is it different depending on your tank?

I found this link but doesn't specify https://sites.google.com/site/aquati...r/home/pps-pro

I have been doing EI and I would like to change to a different method to see if I get better results. Although, I'm going to need to get a scale for the pps-pro.
latchdan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2013, 06:13 PM   #4
Tayjay76
Algae Grower

From a lot of research over this form of fertilization I found that the best results are when you dose 1ml per ten gallons of each-micro and macro-everyday prior to when the lights turn off. Just make sure that you put the macros and micros on opposite sides of the tank so that the phosphates and iron don't cross-react with each other.
Old 02-20-2013, 06:24 PM   #5
seanski21
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

The whole idea behind this method is to keep concentration constant at an optimal level. To do this you have to figure out how fast your tank uses the nutrient and then add accordingly, however this is hard to do since plants act differently depending on the concentrations of the nutrients in the water, fish add nutrient to the water, etc.

It can be done though.. just do the math to get your concentration to optimum level and then test a day or so later then add just enough to to replace the amount that was used.

Over time you'll figure out exactly how much to add each day or other day. Most people, however avoid all of the headaches of testing by using EI
seanski21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2013, 07:29 PM   #6
latchdan
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tayjay76 View Post
From a lot of research over this form of fertilization I found that the best results are when you dose 1ml per ten gallons of each-micro and macro-everyday prior to when the lights turn off. Just make sure that you put the macros and micros on opposite sides of the tank so that the phosphates and iron don't cross-react with each other.
You dose at night then?
latchdan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2013, 12:28 AM   #7
Tayjay76
Algae Grower

No I dose in the morning.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.