Drop Checkers
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 02-19-2013, 11:36 PM   #1
latchdan
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (5/100%)

Drop Checkers

Why are the drop checkers so expensive from GreenLeafAquariums? Are they hand blown or somthing? They look a little different from the ones you can get on ebay but the price difference is HUGE. Both are made of glass I just can't see spending 48 dollars on somthing that I can get for around 6.

Can someone clue me in on why they are so expensive?

Only thing I can think of is you will get it faster then buying from china.
latchdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2013, 11:41 PM   #2
pwolfe
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)

If you're looking at the cal aqua brand, CA uses borosilicate glass in thier products instead of the cheapo glass the chinese ebay replicas use. Borosilicate glass is significantly stronger and less likely to break; It is the same glass used in laboratory grade equipment. The cheaper glass products available in the hobby are very prone to breakage. Other quality glassware brands are ADA, Gush, Do!Aqua, and Borneo Wild.

Do yourself a favor and buy quality glassware from the companies that spend money on R&D, not cheap replicas.
pwolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 11:47 PM   #3
Yankee
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwolfe View Post
If you're looking at the cal aqua brand, CA uses borosilicate glass in thier products instead of the cheapo glass the chinese ebay replicas use. Borosilicate glass is significantly stronger and less likely to break; It is the same glass used in laboratory grade equipment. The cheaper glass products available in the hobby are very prone to breakage. Other quality glassware brands are ADA, Gush, Do!Aqua, and Borneo Wild.

Do yourself a favor and buy quality glassware from the companies that spend money on R&D, not cheap replicas.
Or buy a Chinese one, treat it with care, and make your own 4DKH fluid.
Yankee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 11:56 PM   #4
acitydweller
ओं मणिपद्मे हूं

PTrader: (174/100%)

The focus shouldnt be the drop checker persay but rather the durability of the suction cups they each use...
Old 02-20-2013, 12:44 AM   #5
koiboi
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

Or, don't drop it. I don't think there's much R& D that goes into a drop checker.
koiboi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 12:47 AM   #6
RoyalFizbin
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by acitydweller View Post
The focus shouldnt be the drop checker persay but rather the durability of the suction cups they each use...
Those cheap ebay ones have replacemnet suction cups you can get from ebay aswell. $5.50 for ten suction cups exactly the same ones that come originaly with the drop checker. I bought a lot of 3 drop checkers and 10 extra suction cups for less than half the GLA version. Save your money. There is no preasure exerted on a drop checker. There is no pressing need for it to be made of a stronger glass.
RoyalFizbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 01:00 AM   #7
talontsiawd
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to talontsiawd

The ebay drop checkers are cheap because they are from China. Look at any other products you may own that are not brand specific, or really not branded and compare the price between a US seller and overseas, same thing. The other downside is these can take weeks to get. Their is no difference in functionality, outside of the fact that many come with PH solution, not mixed with 4DKH fluid so you need to buy that off the bat. You will have to buy it down the road regardless, just saying that is another difference.

That said the Cal Aqua Labs stuff is a premium brand, not uncommon in glassware. ADA stuff is even more expensive. They are just premium brands. ADA could even be considered a "designer brand", like Gucci or the like.

At the end of the day, it's like comparing shoes. Different price points don't necessarily have a huge differentiation of quality, or even style, but many will still buy a more expensive brand. Same idea here.
talontsiawd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 01:14 AM   #8
veryzer
Planted Tank Obsessed

There's a guy on the forum who sells glass ones on [Ebay Link Removed] Shipping took about 2 days since he's out of Ohio (I think). Looks good and works just fine.

Didn't post a link, btw.

Last edited by veryzer; 02-20-2013 at 01:15 AM.. Reason: x
veryzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 10:53 PM   #9
latchdan
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (5/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by veryzer View Post
There's a guy on the forum who sells glass ones on [Ebay Link Removed] Shipping took about 2 days since he's out of Ohio (I think). Looks good and works just fine.

Didn't post a link, btw.
Dang I must of missed the US supplier, I would much rather of gotten it from the states. I ordered the one from Hong Kong, estimated time was 2/7-2-13. Needless to say, it has not arrived.

I already have the 4dkh solution the bottle looks the same as the one on GLA web page, I bought it years ago.

Quote:
Those cheap ebay ones have replacemnet suction cups you can get from ebay aswell. $5.50 for ten suction cups exactly the same ones that come originaly with the drop checker. I bought a lot of 3 drop checkers and 10 extra suction cups for less than half the GLA version. Save your money. There is no preasure exerted on a drop checker. There is no pressing need for it to be made of a stronger glass.
Arrg, I didn't know this either, I tossed my last one because I broke the suction cup and coudln't find a replacement. I feel retarded now.
latchdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 01:21 AM   #10
talontsiawd
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to talontsiawd

Quote:
Originally Posted by latchdan View Post
Dang I must of missed the US supplier, I would much rather of gotten it from the states. I ordered the one from Hong Kong, estimated time was 2/7-2-13. Needless to say, it has not arrived.
If you look around, it's not hard to find someone from the US who has bought up a lot of the Chinese stuff and just marks it up a few bucks. I used to know a few places but they seem to not be in business anymore.
talontsiawd is offline   Reply With Quote