canon 24-70mm users
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Photography

Old 03-06-2013, 12:43 AM   #1
gnod
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)

canon 24-70mm users

just curious but for the canon 24-70mm users, what settings are you guys using when you shoot for your fish tanks? i'm embarrassed to post up any photos of mine.

i have a light right over head the tank, at 1/60 @ 9 fstop, 1250 iso, roughly about 2-3 ft from the tank. maybe i need more light but i can't seem to get as crisp shots right now. i have my off camera flash ready but would rather not shock the shrimps with light unless i have to. haha

i also have 85mm 1.8 prime with me if that'll make a difference. after trying it out, it didn't for me.

i'm shooting with a 5dmk2.

thanks!
gnod is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2013, 12:49 AM   #2
Nubster
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)

Tripod? If not, stop the lens up some and get a fast shutter speed. That way you'll reduce or eliminate shaking from hand holding. Or get something to set the camera on that's steady, turn the ISO all the way down to 200 (100 if it goes that low), get good focus and use the timer function to take the shot.
EVIL Camera Pimp member #1
NIKON Pimp Club member #012
SunSun Pimp Club member #069

20L OEBT/Super Tiger/PFR Tank 20L Yellow Neo tank

Nubster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2013, 12:49 AM   #3
sarahspins
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)

Try a faster shutter speed and opening up your aperture more (your lens goes to f/2.8 so don't be afraid to open up - you will lose some depth of field but that's not always a bad thing.. f/9 is very closed down)... at 1/60 it's going to be almost impossible to get a clean handheld shot. Using a tripod may help but if you have moving plants or swimming fish they will be probably still be blurred unless you can use a faster SS.
sarahspins is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2013, 01:05 AM   #4
gnod
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahspins View Post
Try a faster shutter speed and opening up your aperture more (your lens goes to f/2.8 so don't be afraid to open up - you will lose some depth of field but that's not always a bad thing.. f/9 is very closed down)... at 1/60 it's going to be almost impossible to get a clean handheld shot. Using a tripod may help but if you have moving plants or swimming fish they will be probably still be blurred unless you can use a faster SS.
hehe, the only reason i tried shooting with a f/9 was just to try to get everything sharp and see how that comes out.

tried your way and it's a lot better but i was talking more about the sharpness of a zoomed in photo, of say my stationery shrimp. even when i shoot faster at lower fstop, with a stationary shrimp, they're coming out not as tac sharp.

i guess my question was, does anyone with 24-70 successfully use it for a decent macro use? i'm sure it can be done but was wondering if anyone has done it here. :P

thanks!
Old 03-06-2013, 01:12 AM   #5
Kai808
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)

I rarely use my 24-70 for fish shots but sometimes when I'm too lazy to use the speedlites, I'll open it up to 2.8 and bump the ISO up to 2000. Fast shutter speeds are very important for capturing anything moving. Tripods and Monopods also help because I tend to sway a little when taking pictures and that causes the blur.

I usually use manual focus on the 5dmkII or else I'll miss the shot.

Good luck!
Kai808 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2013, 02:29 AM   #6
gnod
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai808 View Post
I rarely use my 24-70 for fish shots but sometimes when I'm too lazy to use the speedlites, I'll open it up to 2.8 and bump the ISO up to 2000. Fast shutter speeds are very important for capturing anything moving. Tripods and Monopods also help because I tend to sway a little when taking pictures and that causes the blur.

I usually use manual focus on the 5dmkII or else I'll miss the shot.

Good luck!
noted, and thanks for all that info. im gonna try with my speedlite this weekend!
Old 03-06-2013, 02:44 AM   #7
sarahspins
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnod View Post
tried your way and it's a lot better but i was talking more about the sharpness of a zoomed in photo, of say my stationery shrimp. even when i shoot faster at lower fstop, with a stationary shrimp, they're coming out not as tac sharp.
If you shoot through flat glass at any kind of angle instead of straight on that will also mess up the sharpness of your image... there's some complicated physics involved there, but basically with smaller optics (such as your eye, or a cell phone camera) those effects aren't as obvious, on a larger scale like with your camera lens, they are.

It sounds stupid but because of that I have better luck getting pics of shrimp (and fish) with my phone than using my "real" camera, whether that's with the 24-70 or my macro lens (though I shoot nikon, the limitations of the optics are similar).
sarahspins is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2013, 03:00 AM   #8
gnod
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahspins View Post
If you shoot through flat glass at any kind of angle instead of straight on that will also mess up the sharpness of your image... there's some complicated physics involved there, but basically with smaller optics (such as your eye, or a cell phone camera) those effects aren't as obvious, on a larger scale like with your camera lens, they are.

It sounds stupid but because of that I have better luck getting pics of shrimp (and fish) with my phone than using my "real" camera, whether that's with the 24-70 or my macro lens (though I shoot nikon, the limitations of the optics are similar).
haha, thanks for your observation. i'm sure the low grade glass on my tank affects it also.
regardless thanks for your feedback!
Old 03-06-2013, 06:02 AM   #9
Bettatail
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (87/98%)

Quality of the lens is its ability to capture light.

which means you can control the amount of light, you can pick any lens you like and take good pictures.
Bettatail is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.