Ideas needed please....
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion > Riparium/Terrarium/Vivarium

Old 09-24-2003, 03:10 PM   #1
Dee
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

My mother and father in law gave me their old 55gal fish tank. Sadly I'm not much of a fish person.....but...... I have been wanting to do frogs for over 10 years now. First trying to convince my parents that I was old enough to take care of them and now trying to convince my husband that they won't annoy him hehe.

I plan on doing 4 red eyes (Agalychnis callidryas), and 4 Dendrobates azureus..I think I am still asking around to see if they would do fine together in that size of a tank.

I have the money to spend and want to do this well. I'm having such a hard time finding out how they have put the vivarium together. Such as where do I put the heaters....how.....Is there a system that can monitor the heat and drop the temp. a few degrees at night? Which are decent misting systems? I have been from board to board and all over the library.

I found my inspiration piece a few days ago: http://www.aquariumdesigngroup.com/aquascapes.htm under the rain forest section. I also saw it posted here this morning. I want to incorperate a waterfall and maybe run a small stream down the center to the front edge of the tank into a small pond. Granted the stream will only be about 1-1.5 inches wide, very shallow, and run down into the pond at the other end. I will have a pump that circulates all the water...soon as i find one that will be small enough for the tank.

I think I might be rambling...if so sorry
Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-24-2003, 06:02 PM   #2
GDominy
Planted Tank VIP

Check out http://www.kingsnake.com/ they have tons of info for keeping herps and the forums are quite nice.

Generally speaking I would not recomend mixing different herp species as a beginner. Keeping Frogs is a fairly large responsibility and you will have to be prepared for ongoing costs (sometimes as high as $25-$30 a week) and a lot of personal involvement.

Dendrobates azureus are a good species to begin with, although they are extremely expensive. $250 each (canadian) is not uncommon for these frogs.

I would check out the books on poison dart frogs from Barrons publishing. They have a few good ones, and the info is all usefull.
GDominy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2003, 10:17 PM   #3
Guttboy
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Guttboy

GDominy,

How come those are so expensive to keep week by week $25-$30 bucks? I was toying with the idea of making a terrarium but this may be a killer....the wife is already doing this -----> :roll: . Now that I have 3 thanks in my computer room....lol

Mike

10 Gallon...20 Endler's live bearers planted, peat/kitty litter/sand substrate

15 Gallon...Just Schultz Aquatic Plant soil
Guttboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2003, 11:07 PM   #4
GDominy
Planted Tank VIP

Thats the average cost of Food, water and electricity. Reptiles and amphibians are not cheap to keep by any stretch of the imagination.

You can still make a terrarium, you just may have to limit yourself to what living things you keep in it.

This is an excellent article to read if you are considering keeping a reptile.

http://www.kingsnake.com/anolecare/1.htm
GDominy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2003, 03:47 AM   #5
Wheat
Algae Grower

Frogs are cool to have I dont think it will cost you that much you should search or ask local pet stores about any herp shows near you. Breeders will bring there frogs also and sell them CHEAP. I got my red eyed tree frog at a herp show for $15. You should not mix darts with tree frogs they will end up food. My red eye could eat my dart no problem.
Wheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2003, 07:33 AM   #6
Zurp
Planted Member

Not sure if you are reading this still or not, but here is what I have in my 55 Gallon tank.

1 Grey Tiger Salamander (Sam)
4 Fire Belly Toads
- (Neon), (Spot), (Olive), and (Spotless)
2 Giant Black African Millipedes {268 legs} (Many) and {? legs} (?)
2 Fire Belly Newts (Shadow) and (?)

(Those are thier names, not subspecies)

All of the above, except for the Fire Belly Newt, are idiot proof pets. If you feed them they will move, if you don't, they won't! The Fire Belly Newt isn't that mutch harder to care for, but they have short lives and can easily be harmed by poor living conditions.

I spray my tank with a regular water spray bottle (On Mist Setting) every other day, and add 2 dozen small crickets every two or three days for all except the Millipede, who likes fruits and veggies, and the Newt, who likes minnows and pellets.

I drain excess water every one or two months, and mix up most of the soil to keep it airated for better living conditions. All these guys like to burrow.

Ocationally, Sam (The Grey Tiger Salamander) will snap at an intrusive toad, but thier defensive toxins keep any real damage from being done. It is funny watching him wipe his mouth like he just licked a stink bug. As for the millipede, he couldn't fit down the salamanders throat, and his armor and toxins keep Sam from messing with him as well as the toads.

The newt dominates the water when Sam isn't in there, and when they are both present, they cuddle with one another (Strange relationship).

All three frogs play together, and actively prowl the tank looking for a new nook to hide in, or an unfound cricket to snack on.

Many (The Millipede) sleeps curled up in a Rams Horn shape when she sleeps, and slowly creeps about scouring the floor for rotten leaves and fruits all day. I really have to get her a mate, then I can breed food! For now, I got her another female companion.

Other things that occupy the tank are...
- a few stray worms
- a few odd forest flys that look like miniature moths
- a few mites which prowl the millipedes body cleaning her hard to reach places (This is normal, and they come free of charge, but don't let them infest the creature)
- a few ghost shrimp to keep the pond in order
- a few minnows which become food for the newt (Shadow)
- a couple of friendly snails, living off mostly the pond algae, so far!
- various other forest floor foraging bugs which help maintain the bedding in the tank... though I am sure there are a few that don't

Then there are the plants, which I can't even begin to identify! Though I guarentee, they all look good and are not what you would concider to be common plants, except my ferns. I searched for months to find half these plants, though some are common, the arrangement makes them seem exotic, or they were used as fillers, which adds to the natural look of the tank.
Zurp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2003, 12:42 PM   #7
Dee
Algae Grower

wow that just sounds completely awesome! I still prowl the boards deciding on what I want to do and how. I have decided against dart frogs for now seems it might be more than I know how to deal with, and that fire belly toads may be a better first timer route. I'm still working it all out and trying to figure out my best options.

I would love to see pictures of your tank though. It sounds like it's a real treat!

*edit* ok typing anything when I first wake up is a mistake :lol:
Old 12-15-2003, 05:39 AM   #8
Zurp
Planted Member

That's ok, I am not an editor!

Right now I am looking around for some good twisted cypress driftwood to add some more character to my tank. I purchased two knotty pieces and love the look that they give. They compliment my ferns well. I am going to journey to my car and get my camera soon. There is a lot of snow between me and my car!

For now I will post a quick drawing of the setup that I am trying to create, and what I have now. Although I hate flowers, I feel that they might be needed in my higher places to add more apeal to the tank.

The picture below is a layout of the terrain, no plants drawn for simplicity. The bluish grey area is an artificial sand bank wall with several cave entrances for critters to hide. The left side is the lagoon and the overhanging jungle gym of twisted cypress roots that also form a wall where they touch the ground, to seporate the feeding area from the water. The right side has the caves, towards the front/lower half, and the shade forest above, on the upper back half. There is plenty of exploration paths and the gym will be planted with air mosses to provide a ground-like setup in the air above the lagoon.
Old 12-15-2003, 08:52 PM   #9
Anonymous
Planted Member

<proceeds to poke zurp> I know I'm blind sometimes, but where's the drawling?
Anonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2003, 08:54 PM   #10
Anonymous
Planted Member

This is Dee...and the post above is me........my computer is occupied atm and forgot my username. <smacks self in forehead>
Anonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2003, 01:44 AM   #11
KyleT
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (5/100%)

Dee, you cannot see pictures unless you are logged in. It is a bandwidth issue.

Kyle
Old 12-16-2003, 01:37 PM   #12
Zurp
Planted Member

Thanks Kyle,
They should have an icon that says "MEMBERS ONLY IMAGE" that links to the sign-up page. Letting guests know that there are advantages to membership, and to remind members that they are not logged in...
Old 12-16-2003, 02:35 PM   #13
Dee
Algae Grower

Looks very pretty. A job well done!

<---forgot I had to be logged in.
Old 12-27-2003, 01:43 PM   #14
Zurp
Planted Member

I have almost all of the wood to do the above mentioned setup, now all I need is the pond glass. I am going to the glass cutter today. In, "Sin City", formerly known as ,"French Town", there is still an old glass cutter shop, and a shoe repair shop. That part of town once was a real sight to see, now it looks like ghetto ville. Boarded up houses, weeds all over every sidewalk, trash in every yards corners.

Slowly but surely all the druggies are being pushed out, and that part of town is starting to get restored. The only good part to that side of town... That is where you get the best Italian breads, cookies, glasswork, shoe-repair, and now stolen kids bikes...