CO2 Nano Diffuser Not Working.
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > DIY

Old 02-19-2013, 01:25 PM   #1
Jafooli
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

CO2 Nano Diffuser Not Working.

Hi

I've only recently built my DIY CO2 for my 20 Gallon Tank, I made a mixture a week back that was producing a bubble each second but slowed down with in 4 days and then it was a bubble every 4 seconds, which people seem to aim for anyway, but my nano diffuser obviously wasn't getting the pressure at a bubble per 4 seconds.

I should of done my research before buying a nano diffuser, I just read they was great for getting the CO2 in the tank, until now I read there best for pressurized systems.

I am using a 2l bottle at the moment, and am thinking it might be worth a try to get another 2l bottle hooked up and see if I get enough pressure then, Any opinions on this would be great, I get my co2 drop checker tomorrow I hope so at least I can then measure the CO2 then.

I also think I have a small leak somewhere, as it use to work, I did find one earlier by using washing up liquid, I'm only using super glue at the moment to seal around the tubes, I'm also only using normal air line tubing, so would this stop it working?

I have read limewood air stones are a good diffuser, what would you recommend? I want to keep it simple as possible, but would prefer if I can get the nano fuser working as the bubble are so tiny when it gets going.

Also to add, my setup is a 2l bottle into a smaller bottle of water, to act as a bubble counter and to remove the yeast or anything nasty that could enter the tank... I did have a check valve but removed that earlier, but its still not getting enough pressure, strange as a few days ago the whole system was running for at least 2 days with a check valve aswell. But I guess 1/2 tsp yeast was to much and died of quickly.

Any help and tips on how to find leaks or fix my system would be appreciated, thanks.
Jafooli is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2013, 02:04 PM   #2
james0816
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (61/100%)

Does sound like a potential leak. It takes a bit more pressure to use the nano diffusers over all the others. I use them in all my setups.

I started with the 2L soda bottles but eventually switched to Ocean spray and Gatorade bottles. They offer a much better seal than the 2L.

Here's my build: DIY Made Easy

Regular air line tubing will be fine as well.
james0816 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 02:24 PM   #3
Jafooli
Planted Member

Hey thanks for the reply James.

Your build looks very good, Will try get some Silicone like you used instead of superglue and give your mixture a try, I hate using superglue as-well it always ends up on my hands how ever careful I am lol.

Its started to come out my nano fuser now, it seems so temperamental, One min it comes out nice and smooth, then the next its bursts then nothing, I'll have to go down to supermarket and try look for ocean spray bottle, or a more stronger bottle. My 2l bottle which is a lemonade bottle defiantly does not have a leak its just the smaller bubble counter bottle, which I think is the issue. Thanks for the linking me your build and input. I might invest in a Glass Aquarium Bubble Counter that look like a small syringe.
Old 02-19-2013, 02:35 PM   #4
mrkookm
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (94/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jafooli View Post
Hi

I've only recently built my DIY CO2 for my 20 Gallon Tank, I made a mixture a week back that was producing a bubble each second but slowed down with in 4 days and then it was a bubble every 4 seconds, which people seem to aim for anyway, but my nano diffuser obviously wasn't getting the pressure at a bubble per 4 seconds.

I should of done my research before buying a nano diffuser, I just read they was great for getting the CO2 in the tank, until now I read there best for pressurized systems.

I am using a 2l bottle at the moment, and am thinking it might be worth a try to get another 2l bottle hooked up and see if I get enough pressure then, Any opinions on this would be great, I get my co2 drop checker tomorrow I hope so at least I can then measure the CO2 then.

I also think I have a small leak somewhere, as it use to work, I did find one earlier by using washing up liquid, I'm only using super glue at the moment to seal around the tubes, I'm also only using normal air line tubing, so would this stop it working?

I have read limewood air stones are a good diffuser, what would you recommend? I want to keep it simple as possible, but would prefer if I can get the nano fuser working as the bubble are so tiny when it gets going.

Also to add, my setup is a 2l bottle into a smaller bottle of water, to act as a bubble counter and to remove the yeast or anything nasty that could enter the tank... I did have a check valve but removed that earlier, but its still not getting enough pressure, strange as a few days ago the whole system was running for at least 2 days with a check valve aswell. But I guess 1/2 tsp yeast was to much and died of quickly.

Any help and tips on how to find leaks or fix my system would be appreciated, thanks.
I used DIY Co2 for a long time on a 20gal tank with a Rhinox 500 (not familiar with nan or how much more difficult it is) back in the day with no issues. Prior to that move I used a limewood stone, but the mist quality deteriorated over time and why I moved to the diffuser approach.

In making this move I came across the problems due to the increased pressures needed to get things going through the Rhinox, mostly the tube coming out of the cap. So I came up with a solution that worked very well.

Looking at the pictures below you can see where from the underside of the cap I inserted a wedge (a straight brass nipple) from the underside of the cap. The force applied keeps the tube locked into place.

When I used Limewood:

Added wedge to fix the problems due to the increased pressures.

The Junkie
mrkookm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 02:55 PM   #5
Jafooli
Planted Member

Thanks for the images and brass nipple idea, very nice tank as-well

In the images I cant see a check valve but can see another brass connection?, whats your opinion on a check valve with these diffusers that require more pressure? I read it shouldn't flood as the co2 system should all be water tight, unless there is a leak. So the only way it can leak is where you undo the cap to change the mixture? I want to use a check valve to be safe but they also use a lot of pressure =\ ... did you ever try using 2 2l bottles?

I could only find Rhinox 5000 not Rhinox 500 ... There pretty much the same as the nano.
Old 02-19-2013, 03:06 PM   #6
mrkookm
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Thanks for the images and brass nipple idea, very nice tank as-well

In the images I cant see a check valve but can see another brass connection?, whats your opinion on a check valve with these diffusers that require more pressure? I read it shouldn't flood as the co2 system should all be water tight, unless there is a leak. So the only way it can leak is where you undo the cap to change the mixture? I want to use a check valve to be safe but they also use a lot of pressure =\ ... did you ever try using 2 2l bottles?

I could only find Rhinox 5000 not Rhinox 500 ... There pretty much the same as the nano.
Yes, it's been a while 5000 is the correct model.

The brass connector you see is not a check valve it's just a T fitting used as a splice. A check valve is not needed since water will never flow back into the brew as it's always producing Co2.

Yes if you have a leak it will more likely be where the tube enters the cap and wedging it will fix that problem

The Junkie
Old 02-19-2013, 03:12 PM   #7
Jafooli
Planted Member

Thanks for the reply and help and thanks again to everyone who helped, I'm sure i'll be on my way to a leak prove system in no time. I will just avoid the check valve and put the tubing above my tank when making a new mix.
Old 02-19-2013, 03:57 PM   #8
mrkookm
Wannabe Guru

One other tip. Make your mix every 2 weeks & at night or after lights off so that Co2 can be ready and pumping at lights on, regardless if you are still producing Co2. Be diligent about that and you can grow anything as long as nutes & water is in check.

The Junkie
Old 02-19-2013, 04:23 PM   #9
Jafooli
Planted Member

Thanks for the tip,

I hope my mix can last that long if not will try out the mix James uses, my last one slowed down after a few days , I did some research on that and people have used 2 bottles and then changed one bottle each week to keep the CO2 more stable. Not sure if that route is worth trying...

I cant really comment on it with my tank as I don't have a co2 drop checker yet, but once I get the checker up and running, and hopefully get it reading green, what will happen during the days when the mixture slows down, how would I stop the co2 levels fluctuating or should mixtures be stable over 2 weeks? I currently have a bubble every 2-3 seconds.

I also presume I will still need to get a KH test kit and measure my PH and KH and see what my co2 readings are.. or when the drop checker indicates green does that mean I'm around 30ppm co2?
Old 02-19-2013, 04:55 PM   #10
james0816
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (61/100%)

Me personally....I only go by the DC. I haven't tested the water parms in a spell. As long as the DC is green (and sometimes yellow ), then I'm good to go.

I should have shot a video of the bottle I just replaced yesterday. After a few hours, it started generating and the diffuser was just loaded! That area of the tank looks like a snow globe.
james0816 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 05:13 PM   #11
Jafooli
Planted Member

Well that's good to know about the DC, I will go out soon and get some better bottles, silicone etc and get your mixture written down to give a try. Then once I get use to what my tank needs for it to go green, then I will take a look at the CO2 chart. Hopefully I don't see to much yellow don't want to lose no fish lol, and hopefully I don't see just blue lol.

Yeah It's a nice effect the diffusers give of, my bubbles rise towards my filter outlet and then get even more shot around the tank, it looks like pearling, not that I've ever seen plants do it only on youtube. Shame I cant have the diffuser at max power they do look rather nice.

Its strange because when the fine co2 bubbles flow all around my tank, the one's that don't diffuse just float on the surface and my rasbora espei think its food lol.

Also to add not sure if you can help, but at night I run a air stone, I've tried so many things to keep it quiet as my tank is right next to my bed, I have tried various air stones, (its the actual air stones that keep me awake not the pump) I even made my own bubbler with t-piece then a circle of tubing and holes with a needle, it still was quite loud, I am currently using a ceramic disk buried under the gravel to stop the air stone noise, which works very well, but now the odd big bubble escapes the gravel and that keep's me awake. I read rubber bubble walls are ment to be quiet, if anyone has any advice on that would be great, I also read you don't need a air stone, as the co2 don't dissolve oxygen, and the tanks with c02 should provide enough oxygen from the plants during the day to last the night? if that were even true not sure I would still want to risk it.

Last edited by Jafooli; 02-19-2013 at 05:29 PM.. Reason: Added Text
Old 02-19-2013, 07:25 PM   #12
mrkookm
Wannabe Guru

Went back a bit and found a post that should be helpful. My brew mix is listed in Post #27, and that worked very well for me. Give it a shot, it should get you where you need to be Co2 generation & longevity wise.

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=123052

The Junkie
Old 02-20-2013, 12:34 PM   #13
Jafooli
Planted Member

Thanks for the mix,

I feel such an idiot because I ordered the drop checker which came with a white bottle saying CO2 TEST and then Japanese language at the bottom. I presumed this was all I needed, till I read enter 5 drops, which didn't seem right then I read I need some 4dkh solution, so will have to buy some of that now.

I guess the bottle I got was just Bromothymol Blue? I'm going to order a pre mixed 4dkh solution to keep it more simple, just feel so stupid, I thought the one I purchased had everything included =\.. should I go ahead and purchase the pre mixed solution ?
Old 02-20-2013, 01:37 PM   #14
mrkookm
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Thanks for the mix,

I feel such an idiot because I ordered the drop checker which came with a white bottle saying CO2 TEST and then Japanese language at the bottom. I presumed this was all I needed, till I read enter 5 drops, which didn't seem right then I read I need some 4dkh solution, so will have to buy some of that now.

I guess the bottle I got was just Bromothymol Blue? I'm going to order a pre mixed 4dkh solution to keep it more simple, just feel so stupid, I thought the one I purchased had everything included =\.. should I go ahead and purchase the pre mixed solution ?
BroBlue is a colored liquid so if it's not clear then that's what you received.

Yes, I suggest you get the 4dkh solution as opposed to making it. It's cheap and it last for a while... well I'm not sure how much they sell of it these days. Back in the day you got a 500ml bottle of it for $10. Either way it's good reference to use as you gain experience.

I changed my DC liquid every 2 weeks as it gets inaccurate over time...as in going green so to be sure you are optimal change it. Then again if you use my mix you should be ok. Also, use RO/DI water or distilled as performance will be better over tap.

The Junkie
Old 02-20-2013, 04:23 PM   #15
Jafooli
Planted Member

Thanks mrkookm.

I plan on ordering the CO2 Drop Checker Pre-mixed 4dKH Solution 100 ml Bottle, which says I don't need to add anything.

Yeah the bottle I got was a orange liquid, then I added 5 drops in the drop checker and though that's not right lol, there must be something missing lol.

I'm still very inexperienced and learning as much as I can, I will use your mix also.

I appreciate all your help, so thanks again. I also got a few plants today so hopefully I can get my tank on its way