So, how small are baby pond snails?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Shrimp & Other Invertebrates

Old 02-19-2013, 10:51 PM   #1
daylily
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

So, how small are baby pond snails?

I have been seeing, and removing some really small hard shelled things from my 5 gallon Fluval Spec V. I think they must be small snails, but they are SO SMALL.

Simiar in size to a period in 12 pt. Ariel font, or a poppy seed. I bet I took out over 80 of them, easily, this morning. In the morning, they are at the water surface, like snails do, so I am wondering if they are baby pond snails? I have no idea how small they would be??? They come to the waterline, or just above, when the lights are off.

They are SO tiny. Cannot see if they are limpets or snails, I just know when I get them between the glass and my fingertips they are hard. When I turn the tank lights on, it is nothing to get at least 50 each morning.

I have looked at various sites, but there is no way to tell if they are limpets with the strongest magnifying glass I own. They are just to small - equal to a speck of fine ground pepper.

I have two nerite snails in the tank and one betta. I could move them to a temporary tank if I knew what these things are and how to get rid of them.

Way to small for a photo, even with my macro capable telephoto or my macro rings. Teeny tiny things.

Tank specs - up since Sept 2012 ammonia 0, nitrite 0. nitrate 5-10. PH 7..8-8.0 Very hard water. I cut my tap well water 50/50 with RO water yet it is still hard. maybe 20 different plant types, fish - neons, otos, pygmy cory, Endlers. cherry Shrimp, a couple misc micro raspbora. 15 gallon tank, 2- aquaclear 20 gallon HOB filters, one running bio rings and charcoal and one running bio rings and purigen. temp steady at 78

Last edited by daylily; 02-19-2013 at 10:57 PM.. Reason: clarity
daylily is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2013, 11:06 PM   #2
CookieM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Snail eggs is as small as Shrimp egg. Try tossing in 5 Assassin snails and wait couple weeks, they will reduce your pond snail population.
CookieM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2013, 11:11 PM   #3
sarahspins
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)

Baby pond snails are really small.. less than 1mm I'd imagine. I don't normally notice/smash them until they are about 2-3mm.
sarahspins is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2013, 11:45 PM   #4
daylily
Algae Grower

I have read about assassin snails. I do have a small colony of cherry shrimp in the tank. It is my understanding that the assassin snails eat shrimp, so I have held off.

Any opinions on this?
daylily is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2013, 12:06 AM   #5
WestHaven
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by daylily View Post
I have read about assassin snails. I do have a small colony of cherry shrimp in the tank. It is my understanding that the assassin snails eat shrimp, so I have held off.

Any opinions on this?
From what I have read, assassin snails will only eat shrimp that are dying.
The Fraternity of Dirt #144
WestHaven is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.