Your Nano Tank/Hood Recommendations Please...
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Planted Nano Tanks

Old 09-24-2003, 03:28 AM   #1
RichardM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

OK, my 75G at home is settling in and reading about nano tanks has me thinking of puttting together one for the office.

I've got a pretty hectic schedule at the office, so need to keep maintenance down. I'm thinking 5-10 gallons is a good size. Anyone have input as to which end of that scale I should go?

I'm looking for recommendations on tank/hood combinations that work well and are easy to stuff more lighting into.

My plan is to just take plant trimmings and a couple of ottos from my 75G to get the nano started. Probably add a beta or something like that later (is a beta OK with ottos?)

All input and ideas welcome.

Thanks!
Advertisement

Old 09-24-2003, 12:43 PM   #2
Ray1214
Algae Grower

Richard,

I have a 1.5 Gallon in my cube. I live in a cubicle at work and have multiple terminals (IT Project Manager) so anything larger is not a good idea since I have so little desk real estate. I currently have two low light loving plants in this tank with a gravel, flourite (maybe a handful) and a UGF that came with the tank. I keep the tank under the cubicle light so that on the weekend, it gets about 14 hours of indirect light (they turn off our lights at night), during the days. When I am in the cube, I turn on the aquarium lights. I have a fancy guppy that I rescued from a feeder guppy tank, and two pygmy cories. I have a java fern and started with a piece of hornwort that I have to prune on a weekly basis. I have a gallon jug that I keep declorinated water in as well as a piece of airline tubing, turkey baster, and a gallon jug as an empty container. I use the turkey baster to get large particles and to blow the particulate around so that I can get it with the airline tubing.
One thing that I did for a nano reef tank is I used an eclipse 3, and mounted a 13 watt pc fixture for more lighting. Turns into a gorgeous tank if a bit expensive.

Ray

I worked my self up from nothing to a state of extreme poverity
Ray1214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2003, 05:24 PM   #3
RichardM
Algae Grower

Ray,

Thanks for the info. Do you find the 1.5 hard to keep stable? I've got room for something a bit bigger and thought that would make it easier to maintain.

Thanks,
Old 09-24-2003, 07:56 PM   #4
Ray1214
Algae Grower

Actually not a problem but I am not using a heater, even though I have a 50 watt on standby. But like I said, I used sturdy fish, even though the pygmy cories look delicate enough. I have some malaysian trumpet snails in there as well. When I ran a pico reef tank in the same aquarium. I had an issue with heat. Not so with the smaller incandescent fixture for the freshwater planted tank. Also I find that I can do a water change with a lot less intrusion on my part, by string the airline tube clear down under my desk. I don't like to look like I am not so busy I can tend to a fish tank so I try to keep as self maintained as possible, maybe spend 10 minutes once a week to do water changes and clean off the front glass. Because of my neat freak nature, I have added a palm plant to complete my Feng Shue Corner of my cubicle as my co-workers call it. So I keep it nice an organized. I had thought to grab one more of these little tanks (I have several that I use as Seahorse Pony pens at home) and put a sword in it along with an african dwarf frog. This may be a project for home.
My eclipse is doing wel as well but I am having a hard time maintaining tank temps as well as flow rates. But it is keeping mushrooms and the long goby happy.

I would recommend going 5 simply because the bigger it is, the more pain it will be to lug the dirty water back and forth. We have people in other buildings (seems I am the only one here) that have 20 gal tanks and smaller. They have to lug so much crap around. I believe in simplified fish keeping and lugging a gallon jug around is better than a bucket and remember you have to hide the equipment for the tank as well. I keep a 2 gal bucket in my desk for emergencies.

Ray

Ray

Old 09-24-2003, 08:32 PM   #5
GulfCoastAquarian
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (6/100%)
Send a message via ICQ to GulfCoastAquarian Send a message via Yahoo to GulfCoastAquarian

I've got a 2.5 gallon on my office desk. I'm also busy and it takes very little maintenence. I set it up with good lighting (13 watt Compact Fluorescent Desk Lamp with a 6400K bulb I got at Wal-Mart) and a rich soil substrate and it pretty much takes care of itself. Plants are some crypts, anubias nana and Bacopa cuttings.
As for fish, I've actually got a Betta and two Otto's. Nice little setup.
I'd do either a 2.5g or a 5g. Water changes are easy. Once a week I take a one gallon container, siphon out one gallon with a small hose, carry it to the men's room, empty it, refill, and carry it back. People just think I drink a whole lot of water.
A ten gallon would take several trips to do a water change, I agree with Ray. Stick with a 5g tops.
Old 09-25-2003, 12:36 PM   #6
Ray1214
Algae Grower

Sam,

I get the same reaction. But I do have a funny story. Wasnt' funny to me at the time though. I keep a palm plant and a lot of folks here keep various plants in their cubicles as well as the company plants. When someone saw me dumping old fish water, they asked that fill up their plant water bottles with the old fish water. Our drink machine dispenses Dasani bottled water, so you can imagine most of our empty water bottles are Dasani. I also drink Dasani water, and once after filling one of the plant water bottles, I got tied up into a project meeting. Well I guess I got a wee bit confused and didn't think about fish water and my drinking water , and ........I guess yall can see where this is going.

Ray

Old 09-25-2003, 12:42 PM   #7
GulfCoastAquarian
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (6/100%)
Send a message via ICQ to GulfCoastAquarian Send a message via Yahoo to GulfCoastAquarian

Yeah, I'm sure it wasn't funny at the time, haha. Oh man, I think I'm going to be sick ops:
Most people that realize I have fish tanks in my office just stop by and start telling me about their 29 gallon tank they have at home, and how their fish are sick and the water is cloudy. They usually insist that they know what they're doing since they change out the gravel for their under gravel filter every year, which is convenient for them since their wives want a different color every year anyway. :roll:
Old 09-25-2003, 03:05 PM   #8
Ray1214
Algae Grower

Dang, I know the feeling. I am a very big advocate of keeping it simple. I have friends or co workers that come by and recommend what to buy for their tanks. I had one that had bought a Nautilaus TE Reef Skimmer for their tank, ....Their Goldfish tank....I keep telling people to read, read, read and if they are a friend, come to me before a fish store convinces you to buy equipment you don't need. The guy the bought the skimmer didn't even know you were suppose to get skimmate because it produced so little. (He dumped the cup an annual basis). But because it looked so High Tech, he tried telling me he knew what he was doing.
I think the other things that people do is that they claim fish only last a couple of months or so at best. GRrrrrr I have had the same betta, same ple*o for the last 5 years. I have co-workers that think nothing of killing off several fish. One or two have some sense and some I have had to correct Web Boards. One lady in particular learned the proper pH band for an Amazon Tank. However when she finally took a water sample in to a fish store, she learned the the water was very hard and basic. She went nuts and bought all kinds of crap to lower her tank pH. After wiping out all of her fish, she came to me and asked why? Her tank had been setup for over 2 years. I told her that her fish got accustomed to her water, but pouring in all kinds of junk to lower her pH at a drastic rate caused way too much stress....

Sorry to Ramble and vent. Definatly hear ya though Sam.
Ray