Excel or fluval mini CO2 as a temporary fix - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fertilizers and Water Parameters

Old 02-19-2013, 06:25 AM   #16
Darkblade48

PTrader: (3/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardoc View Post
Do you have a tds meter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorblizzle View Post
Never heard of it. What does it do?
It measures the amount of total dissolved solids that are in the water column.

A Primer to Pressurized CO2 and A Primer to Planted Tanks
Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
Darkblade48 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2013, 06:29 AM   #17
Colorblizzle
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

Ok...you guys have my attention. Solids meaning waste or like minerals and such? I like having all the tools I need for the job so if I acquire this meter what will it help me accomplish?
Colorblizzle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2013, 08:07 AM   #18
mfurufuru
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
Default Re: Excel or fluval mini CO2 as a temporary fix

I have the fluva co2 mini. It was the worst piece of equipment I bought. If your tight on money go diy co2. Cost of the cartridges are insane.

Last edited by Darkblade48; 02-19-2013 at 08:58 AM.. Reason: Watch the language, please.
mfurufuru is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2013, 10:52 AM   #19
Colorblizzle
Planted Tank Obsessed

I can't go with a DIY unit. I already feel iffy enough with CO2 in there in the 1st place. This tank is in my 5 year old sons room and hes autistic which doesn't really mean anything other than that his actions are sometimes unpredictable, and his 2 year old sister also plays in his room Alot. I can keep them away from a canister behind the tank. But if either of them sees a pop bottle or anything similar with tubing coming out of it I'm certain they will try to play with it and that makes me very nervous. I'm just gonna try the excel while I slowly piece together a pressurized system
Old 02-19-2013, 04:08 PM   #20
Cardoc
Algae Grower

It measures the total Dissolved solids in your water Normally RO water has a very Low TDS Reading 0-25, your tap water will be higher, mine is 275. I was getting RO water and mixing it 50/50 like you, I bought a TDS meter online for less than 15 dollars. Tested my tap water and the RO water I was buying. Tap water was 275. The RO water I was buying had a Reading of 225. The LFS was not changing the filters out so I was buying tap water.

My point is If your LFS is selling you water that is not much better than your tap water why use it, It is just a waste of money.
Cardoc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2013, 05:19 PM   #21
Colorblizzle
Planted Tank Obsessed

Maybe they have a meter I can have them use to show me? Idk. I mainly use the RO water to lower my GH KH and PH. I don't really use it for any other reason. Ill see if they have a meter tho
Old 02-19-2013, 05:22 PM   #22
Cardoc
Algae Grower

Ya see if they have one, Not all LFS sell bad RO water I just got unlucky one time.
Are you on well water?
Old 02-19-2013, 05:25 PM   #23
Colorblizzle
Planted Tank Obsessed

No I'm on city water and I've contacted my board of public work and gotten a few printouts of the composition of my water. All seems good. Idk where I put them tho sadly. I trust my LFS very much it's locally owned he only hires people with tons of knowledge and the owner and every member are required to he members of our local club. It's a very well ran place. I would imagine he would make sure the filters are changed out
Old 02-19-2013, 05:45 PM   #24
Cardoc
Algae Grower

Cool maybe just mix 25% RO and do larger water changes then and see how that works for you. I am a very big supporter of large weekly water changes, Its better for the health of the whole tank.
Old 02-19-2013, 05:49 PM   #25
Colorblizzle
Planted Tank Obsessed

That's what I've been leaning towards as far as the mixture. Idk about 50% water changes tho. I'm gonna start by doubling what I'm doing now. Doing 20% weekly instead of biweekly. I do a 50% water change on my mbuna tank but they are just so messy lol
Old 02-19-2013, 06:21 PM   #26
Zorfox
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)

I agree with the advise given so far but wanted to add a few things. If the report from your public works department seemed pretty good, why insist on R/O? I'm seeing a trend of people waiting to perform water changes based on availability of R/O. The foam you mentioned is most likely protein in your water. That protein comes from decomposition of plant and animal waste. The primary cause of the staghorn you have is overfeeding, mulm buildup, and not changing the water after disturbing the substrate. Now that you have increased lighting the algae is in overdrive. It sounds like you need to do a thorough substrate vacuum. Wipe off any debris from plants, wood, rocks etc. Clean your filter. Change the water before the mulm settles. Then decrease feeding. Personally, I turn my filter off during feeding. That way I can see exactly what is left and adjust how much I feed. Otherwise the food gets churned up into the water and the fish never eat it.
Zorfox is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2013, 06:40 PM   #27
Colorblizzle
Planted Tank Obsessed

I use the RO water to lower my GH PH and KH. I don't want to mess with peat. I don't feed much because I don't want to overfeed but I can scale back a bit more. I have a sand substrate son luckily everything unbeaten collects on it and my Kribs eat it although in sure your right they don't get it all. I do turn my filter off when I feed and during water changes already as well. I have an ability to get RO water whenever I need it I just choose not to drive to get it very often I'm going to do a 20% water change tomorrow and then I will wipe off the staghorn that I have but I can't wipe the diatoms from the plants anymore without damaging them but I can still clean the glass. All I have for water changes is a python which doesn't really work with this small of a tank so I've been scooping the water out with a glass into a bucket ill look into getting another smaller vaccume

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.