Bamboo Fan Shrimp - Not Eating at All - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Shrimp & Other Invertebrates

Old 02-19-2013, 09:19 PM   #16
GavSmith
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

I'll give that a try, cheers Will.

Got the squash stuck on the fake log end and placed the shrimp so that the current is blowing right at them. Not seeing any fans but they have to be sucking up some of it as it flows through their mouthes.

Seems the red-brown one decided to go hide for now. Just slowly waddled into the hollow log and sat on the bottom of it.
GavSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2013, 09:35 PM   #17
GavSmith
Algae Grower

Ok temp is starting to drop from the ice cubes in a zip-lock bag. I took a few snaps of the red guy as it may help to actually see him I guess.

I'm worried about the look of his fans when I zoomed in... they look disconnected from the fan arms... I couldn't get a close-up shot of the arms online to compare them to so I honestly don't know. I'm not sure if the other's are the same because she's keeping hers a little more hidden and tight to her mouth.
Old 02-19-2013, 09:57 PM   #18
Aquatic Delight
H is for Hillstream

PTrader: (9/100%)

those fans do not look right.

Hillstream/Boreno Loach Refuge

A Light Heart is Better than a Heavy Wallet.
Aquatic Delight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 10:01 PM   #19
GavSmith
Algae Grower

Temp is now 79.2 and still dropping. Looking to get it down to a good 76/77. The red-brown one has started turning a little more red suddenly.

Yeah I was concerned when I saw the fans up close... it looks like they're hanging on by a thread. They came home with me just like that and I didn't think anything of it untill now. I'm starting to wonder if they were injured in, or before, the pet shop.

Last edited by GavSmith; 02-19-2013 at 10:01 PM.. Reason: spelling
Old 02-19-2013, 10:14 PM   #20
Aquatic Delight
H is for Hillstream

they should not be clear like that and they should come to a nice point, with a glodenish shine....i wonder if they will grow back.

Old 02-19-2013, 10:23 PM   #21
GavSmith
Algae Grower

Somewhere I was reading about one that lost it's fans and they did grow back... my worry is that if these guys would be able to survive long enough. It looks like the one in the photo is trying to flex the fans but because of the disconnect they're just twitching.

Yeah to look at them closely it looks like the muscle holding the top of the fans is snapped on all the fans on both the shrimp. That would explain why there's no fanning. I'll have to find out where that post was about the fans growing back and see how long it took.

Edit: Found the posts... completely lost the fan appendages and grew them back in about 14 days. I'm wondering with them still being attached to the bottom tendons if they'll grow another set, or if they need to be fully removed before they'll re-grow?

Also a lot of posts saying that they will regrow limbs when they molt... any way to help them get to that point sooner? I know it said they will molt within the first month, and having them 13 days now means another week or so...

Last edited by GavSmith; 02-19-2013 at 10:41 PM.. Reason: edit
Old 02-19-2013, 10:44 PM   #22
Aquatic Delight
H is for Hillstream

i'm thinking with a good molt they will be okay. you should not need to remove them. o have found a couple articles that say they will re-grow. but very few discuss it.

Old 02-19-2013, 10:56 PM   #23
GavSmith
Algae Grower

Cheers Will, I really appreciate all the help. You'll be my go-to guru for bamboo shrimp in the future.

I have some Spirulina powder on the way (may take a couple of days to get here). For the moment I guess I'll keep up with the green squash feeding, and then when it arrives I can target-feed them untill they molt. Right now I'm just trying to get them strong enough to be able to make it to molting.
Old 02-19-2013, 11:18 PM   #24
Aquatic Delight
H is for Hillstream

no worries :-)

are they eating the squash? if you have another tank you can put them in? i worry about them after molt with all of those loaches and bettas in the tank.

Old 02-19-2013, 11:55 PM   #25
GavSmith
Algae Grower

I do have another tank, but it's cycling right now with some tetras in it.

As for the squash... I'm not sure they even know it exists. The weakest one is clinging to where I put her (about 2" from the squash, with the current blowing it to her), and the other is sat on top of the fake log away from it. I'm just hoping it's getting enough from the current pushing the particles to it's mouth. At least enough to help them regain enough strength to feed more.

I'm going to look for more hidey-hole options tomorrow, maybe even something to section off an area so they can be by themselves. Maybe netting to go over the fake log, that way they're safe and get current running through it for food.
Old 02-20-2013, 02:00 AM   #26
Aquatic Delight
H is for Hillstream

if you can find something that is taller than the other stuff with a perch or something for them and put it in the current it could be nice for them. keeps them off the bottom, and as your loaches reach full size will help to protect them.

Old 02-22-2013, 07:22 PM   #27
Rigio
Algae Grower

Hey, I just bought one of these Flower shrimp/bamboo shrimp for my tank and my guys has been hiding for the past 3-4 days and i got concerned about him so i always look for him specifically in the tank and to make sure hes not dead. however I work night shifts and my light timer is set to go on during the daytime so one night i came home and was looking in the dark tank see if i could see him in his hiding spot and to my surprise he wasn't in his spot... but i found him wandering around the tank foraging I realize this isn't that good but its better than him not eating at all.

Okay so long-drawn out story out of the way... Have you tried looking for him at night to see if he comes out when he feels safer(question mark..not working apparently)
Rigio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 07:38 PM   #28
CoffeeLove
Planted Tank Obsessed

Default Re: Bamboo Fan Shrimp - Not Eating at All

I had a couple bamboo shrimp. One was great for a few months but turned a deep red a died.

---
I give my fish coffee
CoffeeLove is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 08:09 PM   #29
GavSmith
Algae Grower

Well it's not so much that they are hiding and I don't see them... they're right in front of me every day. The red one barely moves at all (right now he's on his side touching the bottom and the new large tree hidey-hole I got them. The other is still moving about a little but not fan feeding at all. Though I did catch her licking one of her fans the other day, even though it was closed.

I live pretty close to "that fish place" so I took a ride over this afternoon to see if they had any tricks. I was told to test for copper (because I used tap water and have copper pipes) and GH/KH. I just got done testing all 3 and I'm 0 copper, and I'm 120's for GH/KH so all is good with the tank. Still 0 nitrates/ites so I honestly still have no clue why they don't even try to feed.

I fear the red one will die in the next few days. She's held on this long, but she's deffinately getting very weak. I keep seeing her pooping so I guess she's getting a bit of food from whatever flows through her mouth but it baffles me why I aint seeing a single fan out since I bought them. Trust me to get the oddball pair that do something unheard of like hunger-strikeing.

Last edited by GavSmith; 02-22-2013 at 08:11 PM.. Reason: spelling
Old 02-22-2013, 09:13 PM   #30
Hmoobthor
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (12/100%)

I have keep bamboo shrimp for quiet some time now...

Most of them when i get from petco will not surivive a week or more due to stress, starvation, hungry strike, and parasite ( have one that drop on the floor for no reason and found a big bump on the side fo the body)

The most I went with keeping 1 is about 2 month then it die.

I pretty much keep my recieipts for as long as the Live Guarantee is active for a month. If they die, freeze them and bring it in whenever you can.

Keeping them at 80F or above seem to make them turn Bright Red! And to my experience, they would die later. (you could say it's like cooking a lobster slowly, i could be wrong)

Your water parameter is much better than mine....LOL!!

I would suggest lowering the tempture down more to 76-78. I use to keep my tank at 80-81F but now I am keeping it at 77F. Mine haven't turn red. They are staying at their original brown/stripe color which is a good sign.

I do have a high nitrate of 10-20ppm and this guy is still fine.

After trail and error, and adding some plants to help lower the nitrate a bit, I think mine are doing fine.

Got two of them. 8 more days and one of them will reach the 1 month mark!! One came with missing two legs but have recover back.

I have small size fish in there and I feed ken's veggie and earthworm stick. The little fish eat the stick and particlue float around. The shrimp fan and eats them!

I have seen 2-3 molt since i got them.

i also keep green lace shrimp in my other tank without much current
Eheim Pimp Club #506
Hmoobthor is offline   Reply With Quote