Bolbitis heudelotti and Bolbitis heteroclita
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Plants

Old 01-05-2006, 10:49 PM   #1
Roan Art
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Bolbitis heudelotti and Bolbitis heteroclita

Another question from me

Apparently there are two types of bolbitis: Bolbitis heudelotti, which, I think, is known as the "African Fern" and Bolbitis heteroclita. One of these is native to Papua New Guinea and/or Irian Jaya. I suspect it is not heudelotti, which I've read is from Africa only, but heteroclita.

Searching the web only leads to confusion on these plants. Images are mislabled and I really can't tell which is which. To confound me even further, I ordered heudelotti from two different places and received two different plants.

Can someone point me to the correct plant for PNG and pictures to match?

Also, does anyone have a source for heteroclita in the USA?

Thanks!
Roan
Roan Art is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2006, 11:38 PM   #2
Momotaro
Doesn't like Kool-Aid

PTrader: (52/100%)

I have B. heudelottii in my 75G. Here is a shot of it:

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...143#post214143

B. heteroclita looks like an Ivy. In fact I have heard it referred to as Chinese Ivy from time to time. I have always had a problem with it, and have never been able to grow it. As I understand the plant would rater be grown emmersed, so submerged growth can be less than optimal as the plant does struggle when submerged.

Mike
Old 01-06-2006, 12:58 AM   #3
Roan Art
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momotaro
I have B. heudelottii in my 75G. Here is a shot of it:

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...143#post214143
Gorgeous tank and a beautiful plant!
The plants I received from AquariumPlants.com look just like yours, the one I got from another place does not look like that at all. It actually looks like a "real" fern, but it's hard to say because it's not "leafy".

Quote:
B. heteroclita looks like an Ivy. In fact I have heard it referred to as Chinese Ivy from time to time. I have always had a problem with it, and have never been able to grow it. As I understand the plant would rater be grown emmersed, so submerged growth can be less than optimal as the plant does struggle when submerged.
Hrm, an ivy, eh? I don't think I've ever really seen a picture of it at all then. Do you know of one?

Have you noticed that heudelottii takes great exception to becoming dry, even for short periods of time?

I've planted several on Malaysian driftwood about my tank, some in high outflow, some low outflow, to see which ones do best, and I noticed that the one I have on my highest piece of driftwood (2" from the top of the waterline) always looks ragged after a waterchange. I'm not sure if it's from being partially dried out for a bit, or placement, or my imagination.

Roan
Roan Art is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2006, 02:15 AM   #4
Momotaro
Doesn't like Kool-Aid

Quote:
Have you noticed that heudelottii takes great exception to becoming dry, even for short periods of time?
No. I have taken the plant out while doing a trim and not noticed.

Can you take a picture of the plant you have?

Mike
Old 01-06-2006, 02:27 AM   #5
mrbelvedere
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (51/100%)
Send a message via AIM to mrbelvedere Send a message via Yahoo to mrbelvedere

How long before that giant stand of B. heudelotti came to fruition? I just added some to my 37 high w/ CO2 and 3.5 WPG attached to driftwood. Would you consider it a fast grower?
mrbelvedere is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2006, 09:51 PM   #6
Momotaro
Doesn't like Kool-Aid

It took a few months.

In my experience Bolbitus will grow fairly quickly when it is grown in the right conditions, good light, good CO2, and a ton of water movement.

Mike
Old 01-07-2006, 02:55 AM   #7
timr
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)

here's the best pic i could get of heteroclita. Mike is right, growth is tough, you can see the large emersed growth leaves, and the smaller submerged growth. However, it grows faster than c. parva.

Last edited by timr; 11-11-2006 at 02:52 AM..
timr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2006, 04:36 PM   #8
Momotaro
Doesn't like Kool-Aid

The smaller submerged leaves are really pretty, they are just so darn hard to get!

Nice job, timr!

Mike
Old 01-10-2014, 04:34 PM   #9
Trail_Mix
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)

I know this is an old thread, but there's just so much confusion and lack of knowledge concerning Bolbitis right now that I have to ask and see if anybody knows... There are clearly more than one type of B. heteroclita circulating in the trade right now, (I can think of 3 or 4 off the top of my head depending on what is actuallly a different plant and what is just something mislabeled) which is obviously adding to the mass confusion regarding the entire Bolbitis genus. I am curious myself, since I have plenty of what I would call the common B. heteroclita, you know, the same plant they now sell at Petco in those tubes as (I believe) "Asian Water Fern," the one with those large flat leaves that are kinda spade-shaped and look almost like an ellongated ivy leaf just in a pale and (imo ugly) green color... The reason I have so many is because one leaf can turn into over a half dozen plantlets and I have been growing them out emersed.

I had read that this plant was strictly a terrarium/paludarium/emersed plant, and that it would not survive underwater for more than a month or so, (and honestly, if it is dying slowly over the course of a month, does that really count as "surviving?" Cause I know you can take it out and "save" it, especially considering it grows from a rhizome, but following that logic, humans can survive without oxygen! And what gives, are the petco employees really all that ignorant?!!!??! And do the average shoppers there really enjoy watching plants slowly rot in their aquariums? I don't get it... cause evidently many do, it's kinda like the neon tetra symptom, they think of aquatic life as similar to buying a bouquet of roses, they look nice in water for awhile, then you throw it out... not cool. Especially when there are TONS of great fully aquatic plants that they could be spending their money on instead, and perhaps if they didn't have rotting plants in their aquariums, their water quality would be more stable and their fish would live longer, healtheir, happier lives.

But I want to know, is this true, that it only thrives emersed? Or does it just require high light/co2 and/or being placed in an area of high water flow providing rich oxygenation to grow submerged? Or is it just the other Bolbitis varieties that are also labeled simply as B. heteroclita that I see pictures of growing beautiful B. heudoltii like leaves? I wonder cause I have a bunch of the "common" B. heteroclita growing emersed that are either sitting in tubs or being utilized in other projects, but if they can thrive submersed given proper conditions, AND grow attractive foliage, I'd really like to know!

If anyone can help clear up the confusion surrounding this entire genus, I'd greatly appreciate it!
Trail_Mix is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.