What do I need
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Lighting

Old 02-18-2013, 08:52 PM   #1
hotrodprincess
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

What do I need

I have a aqueon ten gallon tank. The light that came with it has a purple colror and I dont think my moss is doing well with it. I would lile to get something else. Help me know what to get. The light thats in it now is an 18 in 15 w t8. What do I needfor my plants to be healthy and green. No co2. And some ferts. what should I look for id like a natural looking light no funy yellow or purple color. Can I find it at like walmart or homedepo. Or is a fish store my only option. I need affordable please I would like my light to be on about 8 hours a day. Thanks for the help.
hotrodprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2013, 09:04 PM   #2
madness
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)

I had decent luck on a 10 gallon tank growing moss by just switching out the T8 bulb for a T8 bulb that was 6000K spectrum to 7,500K spectrum (somewhere in the 'daylight' spectrum).

$20 for the 'aquarium' versions and less if you find the right size bulb at a hardware store.
madness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 09:09 PM   #3
hotrodprincess
Algae Grower

I spotted this one at homedepo will it work I want to be sure I get the right thing http://m.homedepot.com/p/Philips-15-...266/100176624/
Old 02-18-2013, 10:32 PM   #4
madness
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)

I would go with something more like this (but you only need one bulb and this is a giant package of bulbs):

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...235&ci_gpa=pla

Just check the bulb in your current fixture and make sure that the wattage and the length of the bulb match up.

18", 15W T8 sounds right for the standard 10 gallon fixture but I would not want to swear by that.

You could probably take your current bulb to Home Depot and tell them that you need a replacement in daylight (somewhere between 6,500K and 8,000K) color.

Probably worth trying for under $10.

I personally didn't like the pink 'grow bulbs' in my 10 gallon tank so I went with a general 'daylight' bulb.
madness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 12:00 AM   #5
hotrodprincess
Algae Grower

Thanks I checked the tank and thats the size printed on the bulb thats in it. I ask at aqueon and they said that the bulb thats in it right now is not really good for plants its more to make the fish color look better. I will stop in at homedepo or walmart and see if I can get one like you suggested. It seems more budget friendly than the ones at the fish store thanks for the help