UP Aqua Simple regulator
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 02-21-2013, 04:43 PM   #1
NCSteve
Algae Grower

PTrader: (6/100%)

UP Aqua Simple regulator

I'm exploring my options and seriously considering starting co2 in my planted 40 breeder. I've read a ton of great info here in the forums and decided I want to keep it simple for my first system. I'm on a tight budget and have been looking at the UP Aqua Simple regulator and adaptor from Amazon to use paintball
tanks.
Is anyone using this regulator and is it worth trying?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
NCSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2013, 04:44 PM   #2
h4n
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (713/100%)

I have no experience with teh UP aqua simple regulator.
But a paintball tank on a 40b will run out quick. You'll be refill the paintball tank like once a week.
h4n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 05:11 PM   #3
sarahspins
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by h4n View Post
But a paintball tank on a 40b will run out quick. You'll be refill the paintball tank like once a week.
Not necessarily.. I have been getting about 6 weeks on a 24oz tank on my 55... my smaller tanks obviously go longer between fills. Unless you're legitimately refilling a 5lb tank once a month I think it's silly to suggest a paintball tank would run out after a week.

Sure, I do have to fill up more often than if I had a bigger tank, but there's nowhere nearby to fill a larger tank and the only place I know of (about an hour away) charges $3/lb, which actually works out to be more than I'm paying to refill my paintball tanks. I pass the place that fills the paintball tanks almost every day, so it's easy to just stop in when I need one filled, I don't need to make a special trip.
sarahspins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 05:13 PM   #4
NCSteve
Algae Grower

Default UP Aqua Simple regulator

Thanks Han! That really changes things then. What do most people use on the bigger tanks, 5-10lb tank or something even bigger?
Old 02-21-2013, 05:18 PM   #5
h4n
Planted Tank Guru

Default Re: UP Aqua Simple regulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahspins View Post
Not necessarily.. I have been getting about 6 weeks on a 24oz tank on my 55... my smaller tanks obviously go longer between fills. Unless you're legitimately refilling a 5lb tank once a month I think it's silly to suggest a paintball tank would run out after a week.

Sure, I do have to fill up more often than if I had a bigger tank, but there's nowhere nearby to fill a larger tank and the only place I know of (about an hour away) charges $3/lb, which actually works out to be more than I'm paying to refill my paintball tanks. I pass the place that fills the paintball tanks almost every day, so it's easy to just stop in when I need one filled, I don't need to make a special trip.
How much co2 you pumping into your 55g?

-Sent from my Samsung Note, a "Phablet"
Old 02-21-2013, 05:19 PM   #6
h4n
Planted Tank Guru

Default Re: UP Aqua Simple regulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCSteve View Post
Thanks Han! That really changes things then. What do most people use on the bigger tanks, 5-10lb tank or something even bigger?
What most people use is 5lb.

But ya it all depends on what you can get locally like sarah said.

I have welding supply store 20 mins near me.

-Sent from my Samsung Note, a "Phablet"
Old 02-21-2013, 05:28 PM   #7
houseofcards
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (55/100%)

I wouldn't trust it especially without a solenoid. If something happens at night your screwed.
houseofcards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 06:36 PM   #8
NCSteve
Algae Grower

Default UP Aqua Simple regulator

Thanks for that info Han and Sarah. I've got several sources closeby to get a 5lb bottle and refills so I'll go that route. Another question.... does the solenoid serve any other function other than being able to turn the flow on and off with a timer?
Old 02-21-2013, 07:40 PM   #9
Darkblade48

PTrader: (3/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCSteve View Post
Another question.... does the solenoid serve any other function other than being able to turn the flow on and off with a timer?
No. The solenoid is essentially just an on/off switch that is controlled by the flow of electricity. When it is powered, it is open and allows gas flow; when it is unpowered, it is closed and does not allow gas flow (in the case of a normally closed solenoid).

A Primer to Pressurized CO2 and A Primer to Planted Tanks
Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
Darkblade48 is offline   Reply With Quote