Debating fish again. 75g tank, non-planted...help me decide - Page 3
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 02-20-2013, 12:38 AM   #31
HybridHerp
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)

Debating fish again. 75g tank, non-planted...help me decide

Kk.
I mean, I'm still thinking of cichlids myself, an EBJD would so nice...as would a parrot or pair of crypto heroes.
HybridHerp is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2013, 12:54 AM   #32
driftwoodhunter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (23/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nubster View Post
Same here. I'd probably still end up with some sort of plants. But nothing that needs ferts, special lighting, or CO2.
Simply out of ignorance and lack of funds, my tanks are all non CO2, special lighting, or ferts (except for osmocote caps when I remember for the substrate plants, every few months). I use a regular diamond plate T8 fixture from Home Depot and the reflector is so polished I have to raise the light several inches off the tank top - on a 125g. That light is perfect for crypts, anubias, ferns, bolbitis, etc. I guess because my set ups are so low tech/low light, I've never gotten into stem plants - but I find I love the narrowleaf java fern/big broad leafed anubia combos. Long skinny trailing leaves and big fat upright leaves. I'm perfectly happy with this look and it's so easy to care for. At the advice of someone that I recently got anubias from, I started using Excel. I only do a 1/2 dose once (at most twice) a week and I have seen positive changes in the deep green color of the plants and the typically slow growth associated with low tech has sped up a bit (as fast as low tech can - lol). I'm very pleased with the ease of care - the main reason I'm going this route with my future tanks. I don't think you would mind a few simple plants that don't have to be in the substrate and don't have to be coddled/trimmed.
The Fraternity of Dirt # 7 - Daughter of the Dirt - Canon Club #018
Twin 29g Dirt Tanks on an Iron Stand - DIY 3D Backgrounds
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ta...stand-pic.html
The Behemoth - 125 dirt tank
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=199772
driftwoodhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 02:31 AM   #33
ggsteve
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nubster View Post
Nah, rope fish aren't anything I'd be interested. If I was going to do a bichir, I'll do a real bichir. I had an albino sen and a brown one...both cool, but I'd rather have something nicer if I go that route. I'm leaning towards the African theme with bichirs, butterflies, and leaf fish. But I'd like to see if there's a way to add a splash of color in there too. Maybe a non-aggressive cichlid? Or a school of some sort of tetras/barbs, even knowing there will be losses. Something cheap and that can be easily replaced.
For a little flash and/or color in an African soft water tank I would consider Congo tetras and Kribensis.
ggsteve is offline   Reply With Quote