Reccomend a dog for my family - Page 8
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Forums > The Lounge & Introductions

Closed Thread

Old 03-19-2013, 03:12 AM   #106
ValMM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via Skype™ to ValMM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art by Stef* View Post
Blood thirsty cockers, springers, and collies. Sissy, whimpy GSDs.
-Stef*
I have an idea of what you mean... We tried having a cocker puppy when I was starting elementary school. He wasn't a mean dog, but he was dominant and had so much energy we couldn't drain it. In his boredom he would try to play with you, but he had no restraint. Every time he bit, he drew blood. We had to give him back to the breeder because we knew it was best for him.
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2013, 04:06 AM   #107
Art by Stef*
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)

I hate to target a specific breed. The more popular the breed, the more incidences you will hear, because there are more of them. I could groom 3 cockers a day, and in a week never have an aggressive one. Yet, in a month's time, cockers could of been the most troublesome dog that month.

And maybe that particular one was not a good match for your family. His brother/sister might of been.

That's why I'm saying they are as individual as people, and it might of suited a different family. Maybe people with kids out of school that could of played him out all day, or a hunter.

You won't hear too much about breeds like basenjis because they are not that popular, yet I groomed 2 in 25 years. (Not that hairy, either) One was an absolute doll, the other was psycho. Same family. What can I say about the breed? Can't say either way.

I can pinpoint that the most excessive barkers were shelties, although there are some that wouldn't make a peep and try to blend in with the surroundings to avoid the bath tub
Best temperament seem to be Golden Retrievers.

When shopping for a purebred dog, they fall into groups: Sporting, Working, Toy, Companion/Non Sporting, Herding, Terriers. (I think I'm leaving one out?) Before getting a dog, instead of asking for recommendations, start with the group that best fits your lifestyle. Then narrow it down to size. Then do research on the breeds you choose.

Just because a friends pit is a marvelous dog, or even the dog you grew up with, doesn't mean the next one will be that way. Breeding and bloodlines change, and you will also see more skin problems, ear infections and flea allergies than our childhood pals we grew up with. Makes me wonder because fleas were still as common, swimming dogs got plenty of water in their ears, and most ate table scraps.
-Stef*
Old 03-19-2013, 05:00 AM   #108
DogFish
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)

Quote:
....There goes the "there are no bad dogs, but bad owners" theories, although there are A LOT of bad owners out there....
I think a more accurate statement is there are no bad dogs until irresponsible people buy them.

The following is me rambling and not directed to Stef.

Dogs temperaments run from Submissive to Dominate. Terms that describe human traits really don't belong in discussions about dogs. Dogs are not Mean or Sweet, Good or Bad, dogs are animals that respond to stimulus. In human world those reactions are appropriate or inappropriate based on the situation.
Dog's actions are based on what is it for them, while romantic notions about dogs a wonderful themes for Disney movies but, they aren't real.

If you read through this thread you'll see many examples of anthropomorphism. They are animals, yes very important to us but they are not little humans in fur suits.

All litters will have a bell curve from Submissive to Dominate puppies with most being in the middle. In purebred dogs breed for performance traits we get some consants.

A dogs true 'natural' temperament can really only be evaluated in the 6-8 wks period, after that the human factor alters that temperament.

That developed temperament is based on the human 'pack' the dog lives with.
Old 03-19-2013, 06:27 AM   #109
Art by Stef*
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)

I agree that dogs (or any animal ) are not "little humans in fur suits."
But I disagree with some anthropomorphism theories.

They DO have personalities and traits that are as varied as human, that fall on no scale just like humans. But they do seem to have type A, B, etc. human personalities, if you will, not just submissive to dominate. I have witnessed 2 hour old scottie pups snarling at each other-with wrinkled lips and striking like snakes. The whole litter grew up "evil" snappers, lol, and had temperament problems from hour 2.

While "Lassie" is far fetched, a Doberman bitch covered a 2 yo childs body with her own because the child stepped into a bee's nest, and took numerous painful stings-lying on her until the parents arrived. It was not maternal instinct-the dobe was an older spay. I would like to believe, and continue to believe she was showing "compassion"-a human trait, even extending beyond it's own pain threshold.

When I was younger, I rented an apartment over stables. I observed horse behavior out my window daily, unknown to the horses. Each Spring, the chicks and ducklings would hatch and be "underfoot" of the stable. One Arabian horse would purposely stomp chicks to death-walking around the field with little yellow slippers of dead chick. He would seek them out! Another horse-Shire mix, had hooves the size of dinner plates. He couldn't even see his feet. He always made sure to gently "nudge" the little peeps out of the way to avoid stomping on them. Both animals were terrific riding and mannerly around humans. One just liked to commit murder on chicks; one liked to preserve their life. If that isn't a human characteristic, I don't know what is.
-Stef*
Old 03-19-2013, 01:53 PM   #110
DogFish
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)

Quote:
But I disagree with some anthropomorphism theories....If that isn't a human characteristic, I don't know what is.
It isn't human...because dog are NOT humans. I understand humans desperately want a romantic connection to their animals, I get it. It can be fairly innocent escapism from the stress of daily life. It's not reality but, for the most part it's harmless.

I have two personal Dog v. Snakes stories from fellow Catahoula owners. In Story #1 toddler was in the yard playing, Copperhead slithers by, Catahoula comes to to the "RESCUE" kills snake. Dog becomes local celebrity.

Story #2 every time the hose is left loose in the yard, Catahoula comes to the
"RESCUE" and kills snake-hose. Dog's consindered local K9 idiot.

The reality is Catahoulas that grew up down south only survived to breed if they were cautious of snake/and or knew to kill them. They same way that Catahoulas that didn't learn to repeat horses & cattle took a hoof in the head and didn't live to breed. A classic example of Darwin's survival of the fittest.

Dogs are basically pack animals, Human's are basically tribal, we do have primal instincts that are common, food, shelter companionship. For example the toy poodle deemed "nasty or snotty" because it trys to bite you on the grooming table is reacting to stress. You said you have been around conformation shows, you know those dogs of any breed will stand on the grooming table in a stack for hours if needed with a problem because for that dog it is not a stressful event. Neither is god or bad just appropriate or inappropriate behavior.

I had a female Rottweiler that was a TDI therapy dog I trusted her implicitly with small well behaved children.** She was also a Schutzhund dog. She excellent in her Courage tests. She excelled at both tasks due to situational training not, because she was a nurturing mother or a fearless guardian. She was simply mentally sound and well trained with consistent re-enforcement.
Closed Thread