The best route to grow ground cover?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Plants

Old 01-03-2006, 07:59 PM   #1
ajoyprabhu
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)

The best route to grow ground cover?

I am just about establishing my tank and was wondering what would work best as ground cover, Monosolenium tenerum ("Pellia"), Glosso, Taiwan moss?

I hope to have a 'carpet' of micro swords in the mid ground and this ground cover will be surrounding it from 3 sides...

I unfortunately have regular aquarium gravel (3") and fluorite (2") for now. I have ordered eco-complete but not sure what will grow best in these substrates...do I need sand like substrate or can I work with these?

Thanks in advance!

Ajoy

Old 01-03-2006, 08:10 PM   #2
oceanaqua
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (27/100%)

If you have high light, I would go with Glosso, It looks more organize than pellia or the moss. I have never seen pellia use as a forground before they are usually attach to something. Having a mossy forground makes it look messy and tangle. Those plants you listed do not need any special substrate, only the glosso will make some use of the flourite other than that the pellia and moss won't root themself in because they don't need to.
oceanaqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 02:51 AM   #3
Betowess
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)

I am soon to recieve some Marselia and also some Hemianthus callitrichoides. The Marselia is reportedly slower to establish than HC or glosso, but does better in shade and is very solid once established. I'm going to try both as a ground cover and keep which ever prospers. I may keep them in different parts of my tank or in different tanks. I yanked out the Pearlweed in my 90 as it kept growing taller and faster, like its namesake!

Three Tanks...Eheim 2128 & XP3-90G, Eheim 2128-65G, Eheim 2232-25G.... Tek 4x54 watt T5-90G, Aqualight 96watt PC 65G low tech, 65 watt Aqualight-25G.... Hydors-90G & 65G ... Flourite in 90, 65, & 25 Gallons, .... Auto Water Change/Auto dosing on 90 & 65 gallon..... AGA member......
Betowess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 03:52 AM   #4
bharada
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

Pellia is more like growing English Ivy. It's cute when it starts off, but eventually will turn into an over powering mound.

I've attached a pic of it growing in my 40g, high-light tank. What started out as a palm full four or five months ago is now a clump approx 16"x10"x5"—and this is with my pruning out large hand fulls two or three times during that time.

On the positive side it doesn't care what type of substrate it grows on—or if you have any substrate at all since it doesn't root. As such, removing excess is very easy.

With both the Glosso and Marselia you'll need to plan on doing at least semi-annual replantings (more frequent with the Glosso) as both will tend to choke themselves out if left on their own for too long. At least with Glosso the recovery grow back phase is pretty short.
Attached Images