Lighting FOR 150 gal
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Lighting

Old 09-22-2003, 01:21 AM   #1
nfinit1
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via AIM to nfinit1 Send a message via Yahoo to nfinit1

Hello
I have a 150 gal that is 24 in deep. I want to keep Discus, kribs in this tank along with Swords and crypts...
I presently have a custom sea life 72in 2 x55
I think there are 10,000 bulbs in it, I got it new on ebay

Would this be enough light for this kind of setup???
I also want to grow low growing sag(i think thats it, I am still researching)
Will it still be enough light???

Thanks
nfinit1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-22-2003, 01:53 AM   #2
chinaboy1021
Planted Member

you should double your lighting vals. as your tank is very big and you'll need the extra lumens to reach the bottom.
chinaboy1021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2003, 02:55 AM   #3
Rex Grigg
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Send a message via ICQ to Rex Grigg Send a message via AIM to Rex Grigg

Short answer no. 110 watts over a 150 gallon tank is not nearly enough. And on a 24" deep tank way too little light. You should be shooting for some where in the 400 watt range at a minimum. Not to mention the fact that the 55 watt bulbs are under 24" long. You have a large area of your tank that is not receiving any light at all.

I just checked the Custom SeaLife website. They show all their 72" fixtures are 96 watt lights. And if it has the standard bulbs in it they are 50/50 10,000K and Actinic.

So now that I have figured out what you SHOULD have and not what you THINK you have we can get down to helping you out.

It's too bad you did not do a bit more research. The bulbs you have are going to need to be replaced. You are only pumping 96 watts of useful plant lighting into the tank. You need to get either the 96 watt 6700k or 96 watt 8800k bulbs for your light. That's going to set you back another $100. And still only get you to 192 watts. I hope you got a VERY good deal on that light. A 150 gallon tank is going to be a bear to light. I would suggest that if you have a wooden canopy for the tank you head over to www.ahsupply.com and get some 96 watt kits and install them into the canopy. I know that the watt per gallon rule is not hard and fast to larger tanks. But you have a long and deep tank and need to get the light to the bottom. 384 watts (4x96) is still just barely over 2.5 watts per gallon.
Rex Grigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2003, 09:53 PM   #4
nfinit1
Algae Grower

Hey Rex
Can u tell me where I can find that formula for lighting a tank?

I have a 75 gal too that I am going to use for angels and live plants
Once I learn this formula I will feel alittle more comfortable

Thanks
Old 09-22-2003, 11:03 PM   #5
m.lemay
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

3 watts per gallon is the rule of thumb. Alittle more for small tanks and a little less for large tanks. The 4x96 that Rex referred to doesn't seem excessive in the least. Your tank is pretty deep and therfore requires that much more light so that it can reach the bottom.

Marcel
FILSTAR Pimp #2

75 gal heavily planted,50/50 Black beauty,Eco-complete substrate, Pressurised CO2 with solenoid, ph controller, AB Reactor 1000, 330 watts 9325K GE PC lighting,Ehiem Liquidoser, 2-Filstar xp3 canisters.
m.lemay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2003, 11:09 PM   #6
GDominy
Planted Tank VIP

Thats quite reasonable. I have 400 Watts over my 135 gallon tank and I find that even that is a little on the dim side....

I have new bulbs on teh way though, that may perk things up a bit ;-)
GDominy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2003, 11:49 PM   #7
nfinit1
Algae Grower

Hey
Thanks for all the info!!!
So basically since I am building two tanks, until I have the money for another 72 in power compact
Its best to just start on my 75 gal with the 48 in Custom Sea Life Power Compact ???

Thanks Again
Old 09-23-2003, 12:56 AM   #8
Rex Grigg
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Send a message via ICQ to Rex Grigg Send a message via AIM to Rex Grigg

Not really. It's still not enough light. To figure out the formula you just take total watts and divide by the number of gallons in the tank. That will give you how many watts per gallon you have. At a bare minimum you need 2 watts per gallon, for deeper tanks you need around 3 watts per gallon. Don't waste your money on another strip light. Go to www.ahsupply.com and get their kits. You get a lot more bang for the buck and their reflectors will help get the light into the deeper tanks.
Rex Grigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2003, 01:07 AM   #9
nfinit1
Algae Grower

Man
Those are some Awesome Prices
Due to my interior decorating I am not using a canopy on either of these tanks
So these lights are just right
Old 09-23-2003, 02:58 PM   #10
Vranthis

Send a message via ICQ to Vranthis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Grigg
Not really. It's still not enough light. To figure out the formula you just take total watts and divide by the number of gallons in the tank. That will give you how many watts per gallon you have. At a bare minimum you need 2 watts per gallon, for deeper tanks you need around 3 watts per gallon. Don't waste your money on another strip light. Go to www.ahsupply.com and get their kits. You get a lot more bang for the buck and their reflectors will help get the light into the deeper tanks.

I would go one step further with the formula. This is how i worked mine out measured from the top of the substrate to the bootm of the lights, then work out the gallons. As far as i see you dont need the light the gravel at the bottom of the tank only the top.

I have been lurking for quite a while now, So i will say GDay to everyone on this board, and a big congrats for a fine board too.

Cheers Nick
Vranthis is offline   Reply With Quote