RCS Dying
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Shrimp & Other Invertebrates

Old 02-15-2013, 01:30 AM   #1
Msheresy
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)

RCS Dying

10g
4 dwarf puffers
Small group of red cherry shrimp
Moderately planted

I'm moving so I consolidated tanks while trying to find homes for the puffers. That being said I have still yet to see them mess with a single shrimp.

Two nights ago I noticed a female RCS swimming crazily. She looked stressed and disoriented. Yesterday morning I found her dead. This afternoon I noticed a male RCS acting similarly. I just checked to see what his status is and he is still alive but flailing when in the water column but otherwise is laying sort of upside down on the leaves of a plant that is close to the substrate. They have been in this tank for a while and the tank has been running for close to a year.

No ammonia, nitrite and a tiny amount of nitrate.
pH stays around 6.9-7.1

What could this be? How to fix? Should I remove him even though he is not dead yet?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Msheresy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2013, 01:35 AM   #2
dougolasjr
Invert Addict

PTrader: (5/100%)
Send a message via Skype™ to dougolasjr

Could they be stressed from getting chased around by the puffers.
dougolasjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 01:55 AM   #3
Msheresy
Planted Member

Default RCS Dying

That's the thing, the puffers do not pay any attention to them at all. Even the male that is half dead. They ignore all of the shrimp so I really don't think they are the problem.

Old 02-15-2013, 03:26 AM   #4
CookieM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

LOL Seriously? Keeping such an aggressive fish in shrimp tank and asking why they die? Even tetras or guppies are considered to be dangerous in shrimp tank.

The ONLY safe fish are OTOCINLUS CATFISH. Nothing else is safe with shrimp, even if nano fish they won't go for the shrimp but will go for any egg or tiny shrimplets.

Regardless of how many people claim that their tank consist of community fishes and they don't bother shrimp. Fishes will always go for shrimps because it's a delicacy for them. People don't sit there staring at their tank 24/7.

Puffer are very aggressive, I had them before they even go after my guppies.
CookieM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 12:47 PM   #5
dougolasjr
Invert Addict

PTrader: (5/100%)
Send a message via Skype™ to dougolasjr

Have you used any products lately with copper?
dougolasjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 03:34 PM   #6
acitydweller
ओं मणिपद्मे हूं

PTrader: (175/100%)

Has the substrate been stirred recently? how long have you had the shrimp in this tank?
Old 02-15-2013, 05:48 PM   #7
jasonpatterson
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

You can try getting a clean container of water you know to be good (a clean glass bowl with new water should do) and transfer your ailing shrimp to that. If it recovers, then you've probably got some contaminant in your tank that is causing the problem (perhaps someone sprayed insecticide or cleaning products in the same room?)

A water change never hurts in a case like this, as long as you don't stir up the substrate.
jasonpatterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 06:13 PM   #8
Msheresy
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieM View Post
LOL Seriously? Keeping such an aggressive fish in shrimp tank and asking why they die? Even tetras or guppies are considered to be dangerous in shrimp tank.

The ONLY safe fish are OTOCINLUS CATFISH. Nothing else is safe with shrimp, even if nano fish they won't go for the shrimp but will go for any egg or tiny shrimplets.

Regardless of how many people claim that their tank consist of community fishes and they don't bother shrimp. Fishes will always go for shrimps because it's a delicacy for them. People don't sit there staring at their tank 24/7.

Puffer are very aggressive, I had them before they even go after my guppies.

LOL? I'm glad you got a good laugh.

It must be completely impossible for any fish to not behave exactly like the ones you have kept previously. That must by why a month has gone by with the puffers in the tank and I only now have a problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougolasjr View Post
Have you used any products lately with copper?
I had not added anything to the tank before this occured except food for shrimp and live blackworms for the puffers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by acitydweller View Post
Has the substrate been stirred recently? how long have you had the shrimp in this tank?
This tank previously had scarlet badis in it. I got 9 RCS from a member of this forum that lives locally to me in early december. I then got a few more from a member of my local fish club on Feb 2nd. The substrate is play sand and I had not disturbed it until I was trying to remove the dead shrimp. I did uproot some plants but that was after this started.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonpatterson View Post
You can try getting a clean container of water you know to be good (a clean glass bowl with new water should do) and transfer your ailing shrimp to that. If it recovers, then you've probably got some contaminant in your tank that is causing the problem (perhaps someone sprayed insecticide or cleaning products in the same room?)

A water change never hurts in a case like this, as long as you don't stir up the substrate.
He was dead this morning. I just did a large water change and found 2 more dead. During this i uprooted more plants searching for more bodies. This tank is in my living room right next to the couch and I look at it all the time. I know that nothing has been sprayed around the tank. Since I've been packing up the house I know I have stirred up dust.
Old 02-15-2013, 06:36 PM   #9
Msheresy
Planted Member

I do add flourish when I think about it and flourish excel. I last dosed this tank at least 1.5 wks before this happened.
Old 02-16-2013, 04:21 AM   #10
I3raven
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)

Hmmm.. this is really interesting, the only logically cause of the shrimps deaths would be the puffers? Are there any visible injuries to the shrimps?
I3raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 04:30 AM   #11
Msheresy
Planted Member

Default RCS Dying

No, but since the wc this afternoon all of them have been acting fine, which makes me think that something was in the water. I just turned the lights out but they were out and about, upright and steady. Fingers crossed they stay that way. Now I just feel like a jerk because maybe if I did an immediate wc I wouldn't of lost 4.

Will update if things change.

Old 02-19-2013, 06:21 PM   #12
Msheresy
Planted Member

Default RCS Dying

Since last post I decided to remove the dwarf puffers. Today I have a shrimp that is acting the same way as the others so I'm guessing it wasn't the puffers.... Anyway I put it in its own bowl to see what happens.

After the wc there were multiple molts and one had some eggs in it. Since they appeared to have eyes I made a DIY egg tumbler out of an old ugf tube and some mesh from an extra brine shrimp net. Any suggestions as to how long they may take if they do in fact have eyes?

Old 02-19-2013, 06:47 PM   #13
Puddles
Suspended

PTrader: (26/100%)

People have reported shrimp deaths when using Excel.
Puddles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 06:51 PM   #14
Msheresy
Planted Member

Default RCS Dying

:-(. I read where lots of people said it was safe...... Ymmv I guess

Old 02-19-2013, 06:54 PM   #15
Puddles
Suspended

PTrader: (26/100%)
Default RCS Dying

Yeah I've read mixed results so I have never used it. I think most deaths are caused by overdosing the excel. I'm not saying it causes your problems, but it is a possibility.
Puddles is offline   Reply With Quote