55 gallon Angelfish first journal
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 01-22-2014, 12:27 AM   #1
Fishumms
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

55 gallon Angelfish first journal

Hello. I have decided to start a journal of my new 55 gallon fish tank. This will by my first journal, and it will by my first time keeping angelfish, but not at all my first time with a fish tank.

Right now I have just accomplished filling the tank with water and putting the plants in. For plants there are Amazon swords, some crypts, some giant hair grass that was dying slowly in my other tank, some what I think is Bacopa monnieri, a tiger lotus and I think some jungle vals. I have some driftwood that will be going in the tank and it has some anubus and Java ferns attached. All of these plants are coming from my 5.5 gallon and my 20 gallon.

For hardware I have 4 shop lights each with a CFL I believe 24 watt at 5000 K. Right now I have a marine land canister filter attached. It is for 100 gallon tanks so should be plenty for the tank, but I will be adding a Fluval canister filter from my 20 gallon when I begin to break that tank down. I have a heater set to 72 mostly because I want the water to stay relatively stable. The room it is in is an addition to the house and the central air struggles to keep it at a constant temp. I haven't noticed any problems with my other tanks, but I have noticed the heated ones seem to be more lush.

This is the largest tank I have done in the last 3 years and it is the largest "dirt" tank I have yet tried. I am taking a particular approach to this tank in that the entire tank is not dirt, rather I have confined the dirt to terra cotta pots as can be seen in the photos. I had a similar set up in a 30 gallon which is my guide for this tank. For the moment I will be dosing with Excel and Seachem flourish with each water change (1x) weekly for the first month. I think after that the plants will take off on their own. This is the method I usually follow and it has worked well. I like to do this as I have a tendency to over plant and the pots help me give each plant what it needs. I seem to have better luck with this than with a traditional "dirt" tank for whatever reason.

I have 2 cory cats an 1 otto that will be going into this tank as soon as it seems ready. I would like to have a small school of about 8 cory cats and probably a few ottos and nerite snails. Other than that I want angelfish. I have been wanting a tank with them in it for some time but never had the room for what I felt to be large enough tank. I think that arraignment of fish will work but if anyone has advice it would be appreciated.

Thanks for reading and I will update as I go along.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1951.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	263690  

Name:	IMG_1953.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	65.7 KB
ID:	263698  

Name:	IMG_1954.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	60.5 KB
ID:	263706  

Name:	IMG_1961.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	67.1 KB
ID:	263714  

Fishumms is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2014, 01:01 AM   #2
alaskajeff
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

72 degrees is a little chilly for Angel fish...I keep mine at 78 and they do very well. Angels are a tropical fish and really should not be kept at a temperature below 74 degrees.
alaskajeff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2014, 01:31 AM   #3
Fishumms
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskajeff View Post
72 degrees is a little chilly for Angel fish...I keep mine at 78 and they do very well. Angels are a tropical fish and really should not be kept at a temperature below 74 degrees.
Ahh thank you.
Old 01-22-2014, 02:40 AM   #4
baldy1970
Algae Grower

I like the 4 shop light idea. Have 2 on my 150 need to get two more. The giant hairgrass loves it

Sent from my LG-E980 using Tapatalk
baldy1970 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2014, 12:51 AM   #5
Fishumms
Planted Member

Looks a little better now. Got all the stuff in. The Fluval as well as Marineland canister filters are on it now. Plants seem to be transitioning well except I think I might loose the Tiger Lotus. Some of the crypts are already showing a new leaf coming up. Here are some full shots of the tank.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	GOPR0169.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	67.0 KB
ID:	264762  

Name:	GOPR0171.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	80.6 KB
ID:	264770  

Old 01-25-2014, 03:52 PM   #6
Fishumms
Planted Member

Some video of the tank https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKs...3tvrqIkNgiXvPA

In the pictures you can see how the Tiger Lotus is not doing well. It is in the bottom left hand corner of the tank.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	GOPR0179.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	107.6 KB
ID:	264985  

Name:	GOPR0180.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	88.7 KB
ID:	264993  

Old 01-25-2014, 04:21 PM   #7
harilp
Planted Member

Good start!!

Sent from my Blackberry Playbook using Tapatalk2

Don't Care about money while you enter into a hobby
harilp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2014, 04:35 AM   #8
Fishumms
Planted Member

Got to add the angelfish. They seem to be doing very well. The plants had a very hard time adjusting to the new tank. Not sure what it was. Most of the amazon swords and crypts had their leaves all melt and are just beginning to put up new leaves, but they seem to have begun to grow again. Hopefully the plants will really start to get going. Anyway, here is a little video of the tank. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AeWImnm2SDA
Old 02-10-2014, 02:49 AM   #9
Fishumms
Planted Member

Just some updates. Angelfish seem to finally be calming down in the tank. They are very aware of all movement in the room outside the tank. I had a large piece of wood that I had only just begun to soak, but I decided to weight it down with a brick to give them somewhere to hide. Makes the tank looks a lot more busy than it is.

The plants are growing in at a predictable but slow rate. It was more or less what I expected. Unfortunately I am getting a little bit of algae on my anubis in particular and the glass is beginning to get a little foggy. Not sure if it is just new tank adjustments or what. The thank has been up for 2 months now and I thad little or at least no visible algae before. I am wondering if the addition of the angelfish is adding more poo and thus more available nutrients. I am hoping once the plants get larger they will beat out the algae, but I might try tweaking the light cycle. Right now it is on a 5 on 4 off 5 on then off for 10 hours cycle. I am thinking of adding some Excel or something though as well. Right now with water changes which are weekly I add Excel as well as Flourish but possibly more frequent additions would help. I am hoping not though as I was hoping this tank would be a little lower in maintenance.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	GOPR0216.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	323.9 KB
ID:	272521  

Name:	GOPR0217.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	299.4 KB
ID:	272529  

Name:	GOPR0218.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	358.9 KB
ID:	272537  

Name:	GOPR0219.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	297.0 KB
ID:	272545  

Old 02-10-2014, 03:40 AM   #10
tomfromstlouis
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)

You've got to expect to have some algae and adjustments to make for the first few months, that is just the way it is for most of us.

I'd comment on the beauty of the angels but you must give us a non-distorted picture to see them. Back up and skip the wide angle fisheye effect please.
RAOK Club #76

220g altum, 75g high tech, 6g shrimp: one office, three tanks http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=183658
tomfromstlouis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2014, 04:16 AM   #11
Fishumms
Planted Member

GoPro is the only camera working at the moment. I know what you mean though.
Old 02-15-2014, 05:23 AM   #12
Fishumms
Planted Member

Just an update. I have the beginnings of an algae outbreak at the moment. I think the addition of the angelfish triggered a mini cycle of some type. I have scaled down the lights. Specifically they do not all go on for the whole time they are on. The outside two lights go on for an hour then switch with the inside two. It seems to be keeping the algae at bay, but I have also added some more plants. Hopefully will get some more water wisteria soon as well. I may try to spot treat with excel if the lights don't work. I had one angel die about 2 days ago. I do not think it was sick, I think it was just overly panicked. I found it wedged where it could not move as I had to pull it out. Maybe it was the one that tried to bury itself into the substrate.

Some video of the tank. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oD5CfuEJGwg
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC_0002.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	90.7 KB
ID:	274794  

Name:	DSC_0004.jpg
Size:	85.0 KB
ID:	274802  

Name:	DSC_0007.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	95.4 KB
ID:	274810  

Name:	DSC_0006.jpg
Size:	104.8 KB
ID:	274818  

Name:	DSC_0008.jpg
Size:	70.5 KB
ID:	274826  

Last edited by Fishumms; 02-15-2014 at 03:02 PM.. Reason: added some video
Old 03-08-2014, 07:20 PM   #13
Fishumms
Planted Member

An update. The angelfish are kind of starting to settle down. Finally I got some real pictures of them since they didn't hide in terror. The plants are also starting to grow in earnest. In particular the ricca has been going crazy. I had to throw away a lot and I kind of tied up some clumps to keep it under control. The water wisteria has also been growing like crazy. I had to trim bit of it. I put the pieces in my newt tank to see what they do in there. I put another piece in the pot behind the castle to try to get another area of hiding places for the angels. The algae has been under control, it hasn't gotten worse, but I haven't been able to get rid of any of it. I've begun direct applications of Excel on a twice weekly basis. So far it looks like it is working in some areas but it's taking time. Most of it is on the right side on the Anubius right under the filter outflow.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC_0004.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	86.0 KB
ID:	286106  

Name:	DSC_0006.jpg
Size:	95.5 KB
ID:	286114  

Name:	DSC_0008.jpg
Size:	108.1 KB
ID:	286122  

Name:	DSC_0004a.jpg
Size:	99.0 KB
ID:	286130  

Old 03-10-2014, 04:30 AM   #14
Fishumms
Planted Member

The tank seems to be doing well. The angelfish are getting much more active. I am seeing some nipping but so far it doesn't seem serious. The victims rarely react with much haste and it never goes very far. However, I will be keeping an eye on it. One or two of them might have to come out.

Here is some video of the tank as well as my other tanks. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yny9fkr81hE
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC_0074.jpg
Size:	82.8 KB
ID:	287226  

Name:	DSC_0036.jpg
Size:	97.4 KB
ID:	287234  

Old 03-10-2014, 05:05 AM   #15
tomfromstlouis
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)

It is normal for angels to harass each other. In fact, I view it as a good sign of health and ambition. If you have fast swimmers nipping at angel fins, then that problem should be dealt with.

I like the way the castle is being absorbed into the plants. Not sure why you don't go ahead and stick the plants directly into the substrate though...
RAOK Club #76

220g altum, 75g high tech, 6g shrimp: one office, three tanks http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=183658
tomfromstlouis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.