Adding ADA soil to a stocked tank?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 02-16-2013, 10:49 PM   #1
waddo
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Adding ADA soil to a stocked tank?

I'm thinking about changing my gravel to ADA aqua soil; trouble is I have a bunch of fish and shrimp enjoying a peaceful life. I can probably remove the plants and gravel with the fish still in there, but has any one tried adding the soil to a tank with water and fish?

Cheers
waddo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2013, 11:18 PM   #2
steven p
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

Cycle it in a bucket first. From what I understand that soil will leach all sorts of ammonia.
Old 02-16-2013, 11:42 PM   #3
GeToChKn
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

Amazonia will leech ammonia for 4-10 weeks, so you can't add it to a tank. It will also lower your pH alot, so make sure the fish/shrimp you have can deal with a pH.

Sump Pimp #2

My Tanks and my shrimps
GeToChKn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 12:12 AM   #4
HD Blazingwolf
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

Bare minimum expect ammonia to be present in untolerable levels for 2 weeks assuming ur bio filter strong.

So if u do this large daily water changes are a MUST..

Preferrably, get a couple buckets with airstones and drop a small piece of bio media in each bucket from ur filter this will help the soil become colonized and will reduce the ammonia phase
Old 02-17-2013, 12:19 AM   #5
freph
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (22/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD Blazingwolf View Post
Bare minimum expect ammonia to be present in untolerable levels for 2 weeks assuming ur bio filter strong.

So if u do this large daily water changes are a MUST..

Preferrably, get a couple buckets with airstones and drop a small piece of bio media in each bucket from ur filter this will help the soil become colonized and will reduce the ammonia phase
Not sure if I got lucky or what, but here's my experience with it.

20L that was previously heavily planted went from fully carpeted to 5-6 bunches of HC and had an entire stem section replanted. Added an entire top dressing of powder aquasoil on top before I planted the HC. Did once weekly water changes on it and only had about 5 shrimp deaths. Could have been natural or could have been from the soil. Either way, if you bio filter is heavily established already I wouldn't worry about it. It should be converting the ammonia well and your plants will be processing some of it too. Worst thing that happens is very small trace amounts of ammonia and quite high levels of nitrate. I dosed micros, P and K while this was going on and got great plant growth from the boosted N levels just by balancing the ferts out.