Yeast and Co2...question on this
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > DIY

Old 09-20-2003, 09:45 PM   #1
Guttboy
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via AIM to Guttboy

Hi everyone....started my DIY yeast project but seeing as though I have never done this I am unsure how long it takes before you see some ACTION.

I followed the instructions from this....
http://www.qsl.net/w2wdx/aquaria/diyco2.html

I soaked the yeast in tepid water then added it to my mix....

Mix is 2 cups sugar and 2 cups water with the 1/4 tsp Fleischmans bread machine active yeast.

Well its been in the container for an hour and a half with no sign of any changes....how long should it take...what should I see? SHould I see foam or bubbles in the mix?

Mike

10 Gallon...20 Endler's live bearers planted, peat/kitty litter/sand substrate

15 Gallon...Just Schultz Aquatic Plant soil
Guttboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-20-2003, 10:32 PM   #2
Wasserpest
Are these real?

PTrader: (175/100%)

Action? Hmmm... Foam isn't really what you want to see, so if you don't see any, the better. After a while, when you shake the bottle (or whatever you use) you will hear some hissing like when you shake a soda bottle, and you will see fine bubbles rising up.
Action you should see is the buildup of pressure, which tells you that CO2 is being produced. I set up the mix for my bottles a day in advance, so when I switch bottles pressure is already there.
BTW I am using two 3 liter bottles, and each of them lasts 18 to 20 days, with 1.5 cups of sugar.
Wasserpest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2003, 10:40 PM   #3
Guttboy
Planted Tank Enthusiast

So should you shake the bottle? Should I see bubbles like in beer or soda when it is still?

Mike

Old 09-20-2003, 11:08 PM   #4
Wasserpest
Are these real?

The bubbles are very small, hard to see. Shaking just causes the reaction or production to increase for a moment, For example, when you connect a new bottle to the airline, shake it for a moment to build up pressure so it starts to bubble. But you might have to wait a few hours until it really starts to build up. Just close the bottle, shake it, and see when you open it if you hear air escaping... then you know it has started to produce CO2. It doesn't bubble visibly.
And don't forget to leave the bottle open... Yeast and sugar is not good for walls and carpet :shock:
Old 09-20-2003, 11:11 PM   #5
slyargent
Algae Grower

Dont worry about it guttboy, if you have it sealed well, then it might take up to 3 days for the bubbling to start, esp when the yeast is from the fridge. I dont add yeast anymore, just throw most of the mixture, then save a little bit and just add sugar and water again, and in about 2 hours, its gonna start bubbling like crazy!. I'm using two 2 liter bottles, and experimenting with using flour or flour/sugar combo on my 75gallon us.
slyargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2003, 11:15 PM   #6
Guttboy
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Wasser....

here is what my setup looks like although I only have one 1/2 gallon bottle because this is only a 15 gallon tank. I think I could put some water in the coke bottle and it could function as a bubble counter what do you think?

here is the setup courtesy of

http://www.qsl.net/w2wdx/aquaria/diyco2.html by John LeVasseur

The gas separator is where I would make the bubble counter by just adding some water to this.

I am seeing some movement of the water in the airline tubing entering the reactor. I have my checkvalve just out of the tank between the separator and the reactor...NOT where they have the check valve.

Mike

Old 09-20-2003, 11:32 PM   #7
Wasserpest
Are these real?

Yeah, looks like there should be some water in that small bottle.

I use a similar setup, but both of the bottles go into my "Bubble counter" bottle, so I know how much is producing each one of the two.

Like you, I have the checkvalve in the airline just outside of the tank.

One day I am going to try what SlyArgent suggests, instead of adding yeast just reuse a little of the old solution. I wonder how long you can do that... indefinitely?
Old 09-20-2003, 11:40 PM   #8
Guttboy
Planted Tank Enthusiast

what are you using to connect the hoses to the bottles? I was using a tiny bulkhead fitting but they are fragile and I broke 2 already? What type of glue? Epoxy? Thanks wasserpest.

Mike

Old 09-20-2003, 11:47 PM   #9
Wasserpest
Are these real?

Isn't it funny how we spend Saturdays figuring out our tanks instead of with the family.

I am using barbed hose connectors for those drip irrigation systems. I cut them in half, so the barbed end will be connected with the airline. I drill a hole into the bottle cap that is just so big that you can push the connector in with some effort. Then I use good old Elmers Stix-All and add a little ring around the hose connector, let it dry a minute, then push it into the bottle cap.

Want me to post a pic?
Old 09-21-2003, 01:03 AM   #10
Guttboy
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Wasser if you could that would be outstanding.....I found ...well actually my wife found... this glue stuff that "Bonds ALL plastic"...its called Plasti Fuse and retails for 2.27 at the Home depot. "Bonds all plastic INCLUDING polyethylene and polypropylene...fast and easy...fills gaps".

I will give this a shot with your method and see how that works!

Mike

PS I found some 19watt, 6500K, daylight compact screw in flourescents! They were $7 and change for one....will put them in my hood til the ones I ordered from 1000 bulbs get in.

Old 09-21-2003, 02:36 AM   #11
Rex Grigg
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Send a message via ICQ to Rex Grigg Send a message via AIM to Rex Grigg

Once again everyone is missing the best and cheapest way to attach the tubing to the bottle. Just drill a small hole, I find that 11/64th works best with my silicone tubing, in the bottle cap. Cut the tubing at an angle and thread it though the hole. Grab tubing with pliers and pull though. I do the same thing with my DIY reactors and have never had a problem.
Rex Grigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2003, 04:09 AM   #12
Wasserpest
Are these real?

I know, it's like deja vu. I couldn't get it airtight this way, not sure why, perhaps the type of airline I used didn't play along.
Anyway... tomorrow I will post a pic of that alternative connection thingy, just in case you can't get it working with Rex' simpler method.
Old 09-21-2003, 04:36 AM   #13
Guttboy
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Ill give it a shot both ways. Now I couldnt figure out what was going on but it seems as though the rena airstone would not let the gas pass....so i put a bit of a squeeze on the bottle and voila! Bubbles in my reactor galore! We shall see if it stays this way.

mike

Old 09-21-2003, 05:09 AM   #14
Wasserpest
Are these real?

This is what I do... Rex' way it probably easier.

Airstones fill up with water and it takes some pressure to get it out, then they should bubble fine
Old 09-21-2003, 02:24 PM   #15
Guttboy
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Looks good wasserpest....will try your way and Rex's. Hopefully I can get this beast going....it is really large (powerhead reactor) but hopefully it will work fine.

Will keep you posted.

Mike