The Shire (Lord of the Rings) nano tank
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Planted Nano Tanks

Old 12-31-2005, 08:37 AM   #1
GreenerSideofLIfe
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)

The Shire (Lord of the Rings) nano tank

As a serious fan of LOTRs I have always been facinated with things like... The Shire. Heck, there was a 'hobbit' style home where I used to live and I applied for a loan to buy it when it went up for sale. Yep. Im a fan...

Anyway! I've been considering for a while now another reincarnation for my 5 gal mini bowl. This tank has had more lives than a cat.

My next goal: The shire.

My insperation:

My sketch (sorry for the 5 min not terribly note worthy sketch. Its just a rough idea inspired by insomnia and a tad too much cold medicine I think.. I'm an artist. I can do WAY better sketches than this... its almost embarsing

My sketch:

The process: I would like to come up with a way to build that bookend into a hill to make it look like a doorway into the mound. I would then like to have plants which stay SMALL, and can most blend into the scene. I was thinking Glosso and Riccia. I want to keep everything to scale. As far as fish...not sure about that. LOL It would probibly look alittle...odd.

I would also like to plant a few small accent plants on the hill that would look like trees and bushes (obviously things that stay really small). Ideas?

Problems I've already thought of:

#1. How do I form the mound?

#2. How do I keep the Riccia down untill it sets up?

#3. How do I hide things like the CO2?

ideas??
GreenerSideofLIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-31-2005, 02:01 PM   #2
cxz
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

you stole my idea! I haven't gotten around to it..

but we have a different approach I think..

I was going to get fine sands.. a couple of those coconut shells, some moss..

and thats as far as I've gotten
cxz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2005, 02:05 PM   #3
SCMurphy
PT Biologist

PTrader: (4/100%)

What is your bookend made of?

Aquascape? I'm a crypt farmer.

It's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore looking like an idiot.

That IS an aquascape, it's titled "The Vacant Lot".
SCMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2005, 03:52 PM   #4
thirston
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (10/100%)

I love seeing little tank set up like this. A friend of mine once created a 3-D cave-like sculpture that sat just behind his small bow tank. Inside the cave he put this creepy little action figure that looked like it was coming out of the cave and throught the tank to get you

Remember, if you don't add a colored background to your tank, you can add more depth of field even behind the tank itself for a really dramatic look.

Good luck with this and make sure you keep us updated.

p.s.
I would look into fabricating some sort of epoxy/fiberglass cave then affixing some of your gravel to it and using a hairnet to tie moss to that. You could also use an inverted tupperware container or similar device and epoxy some sand or gravel to that... Just some ideas to help fuel your fire.

50 Gallon Aquarium - Colony of Showa Koi Swords.
90 Gallon Planted Aquarium - Yellow Tiger Endlers, Pair of Bristlenose, Six "oops" Five L15
12x10 Gallon Tanks - Guppies, Apistos, Endlers, Shrimp, Swords, you name it.
thirston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2005, 04:06 PM   #5
sarahbobarah
LOTR BFME

Send a message via AIM to sarahbobarah

Ooooooooooooh...... I LOVE LOTR.........

Hairnet for the riccia....

dose excel for CO2?

Best Dressed Member of SVAS, SFBAAPS. (I sit at the cool kids' table)
sarahbobarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2005, 05:54 PM   #6
aquamoon
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)

i love the ideal.....your 5min sketch looks good .....its a rough ideal of what you want ....im also a artist ( at least i think i am )........

sorry im no help with the ideals for the lotr tank , but i would love to see what you do with this project

Kevin
aquamoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2005, 07:10 PM   #7
GreenerSideofLIfe
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirston
I love seeing little tank set up like this. A friend of mine once created a 3-D cave-like sculpture that sat just behind his small bow tank. Inside the cave he put this creepy little action figure that looked like it was coming out of the cave and throught the tank to get you

Remember, if you don't add a colored background to your tank, you can add more depth of field even behind the tank itself for a really dramatic look.

Good luck with this and make sure you keep us updated.

p.s.
I would look into fabricating some sort of epoxy/fiberglass cave then affixing some of your gravel to it and using a hairnet to tie moss to that. You could also use an inverted tupperware container or similar device and epoxy some sand or gravel to that... Just some ideas to help fuel your fire.

Excellent! I was thinking of what to do for a background since my wall paper in the room is umm... fish themed. It does make a kinda cool background for my flowerhorn tank... but not for this one I dont think! LOL

A over turned tuperware container and a hair net might just work!!

I will see if I can find one in the right size/shape and do some tinkering.

The bookend is mostly plastic. I was planning on wieghting it down with a bunch of wieghts silconed to the bottom of it then to burry the majority of the base of it under/into my substrate.
Old 12-31-2005, 07:18 PM   #8
A Hill
Sponsor

PTrader: (90/100%)
Send a message via AIM to A Hill

what about using a cut rock as the little dwelling? maybe you could get it cut so that the back is flat and so it the bottom and the front has a little curve to it and a flat space where the bookend will go? for the roof i believe in the movie it had grass on it? or is my memory bad? well if so maybe some moss or even dwarf hair grass.. or maybe fabricating a little home would be betteR?

for inhabitants what about some gost shrimp it could kinda represent the ring making you invisible?e

my hairbrained ideas

fish newb
A Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006, 12:09 AM   #9
figgy
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)

Hmmmm, couldn't you just back the bookend against a moss wall?

I use aquarium sealant for adhesive in water.

Good little plant = nana petite

Fauna = a nice sized nerite snail

How 'bout having a tiny gold ring somewhere in the scape?

Can't wait for pix!

Fig (Elf Queen in a previous life...)

Silver Supporter of The Planted Tank Forum!
figgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006, 11:47 AM   #10
uncskainch
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to uncskainch Send a message via MSN to uncskainch Send a message via Yahoo to uncskainch

If you decide to put in a tiny gold ring (neat idea, Figgy!), check the jewelry making and beading catalogs and websites (http://www.firemountaingems.com/ for example). I would think that you would want to be cautious about the kind of metal you include, given that some things will rust or tarnish, others might leach metal into the water, and still others (containing copper, for example) might harm your tank inhabitants. Buying from the hardware store, you may not be able to determine what's in the metal, but jewelry catalogs are very good about listing the metals or helping you over the phone since they often deal with customers who have metal allergies. They also carry real gold and in the small quantity that's in a little ring, it's not too pricey. You'll want to look under "findings" and search for jumprings. They are available as small as 3 mm and usually a package of 4 costs in the $4.50-6 neighborhood. You can also check local bead stores in your area.
29 g planted community tank, 2.48 WPG, DIY CO2, Greg Watson ferts -- Tank Journal Here! -- 5 gallon planted Marineland 5 gallon hex with 15w 6500k CF, Excel, 100% flourite substrate -- RCS & male dwarf puffer -- Tank Journal Here! -- 2.5 gallon planted MiniBow w/10w 6500 k CF, Excel -- mystery snail & RCS -- Tank Journal Here!
uncskainch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006, 01:26 PM   #11
sarahbobarah
LOTR BFME

Send a message via AIM to sarahbobarah

Man this is going to be one kewl tank.

How about downoi as a foreground plant? It looks like a tiny fern!!!

Best Dressed Member of SVAS, SFBAAPS. (I sit at the cool kids' table)
sarahbobarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006, 04:32 PM   #12
Kris
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

i can't wait for the pictures of the final set-up!

30 gallon tall, pressurized CO2...killer lights
50 gallon long, killer filtration, low tech otherwise
Kris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 12:21 AM   #13
GreenerSideofLIfe
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Newb
what about using a cut rock as the little dwelling? maybe you could get it cut so that the back is flat and so it the bottom and the front has a little curve to it and a flat space where the bookend will go? for the roof i believe in the movie it had grass on it? or is my memory bad? well if so maybe some moss or even dwarf hair grass.. or maybe fabricating a little home would be betteR?

for inhabitants what about some gost shrimp it could kinda represent the ring making you invisible?e

my hairbrained ideas

fish newb

LOL yes, the houses were actualy part of the hill. I also thought of useing flexable plastic to support the soil... but I tested that one out... and it was a disaster. So I will keep trying

And I think shrimp would probibly work... but I dont have much luck with them. They always seem to either disapear... or jump out.
Old 01-02-2006, 12:26 AM   #14
GreenerSideofLIfe
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahbobarah
Man this is going to be one kewl tank.

How about downoi as a foreground plant? It looks like a tiny fern!!!
OHHH!!

I like that one!! That would be cool to use as trees. Ok... so they grow kinda like upside down trees But oh well! Very nice idea!
Old 01-02-2006, 01:00 AM   #15
A Hill
Sponsor

PTrader: (90/100%)
Send a message via AIM to A Hill

lol yeah and maybe do the moss wall idea thats a really neat one!

fish newb
A Hill is offline   Reply With Quote