Something New: Fish suggestions for 20 Gallon tall?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 02-16-2013, 06:57 PM   #1
Vira
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Question

Something New: Fish suggestions for 20 Gallon tall?

Hello!!

I am looking for stocking suggestions for my 20 gallon tall.

I am interested in just about anything but I'd like something different than what I've had for years. My lfs actually has some pencil fish in stock but I hadn't decided if I wanted to buy them or not.

I currently have a planted 20 gallon long with 6 black long-skirt tetras, 5 albino cories, 2 mystery snails, 2 amano shrimp, 2 ottos and one female betta. I also have an 8 gallon with cardinal tetras and some cory fry in the works and another 8 gallon with a ton of cherry shrimp and two ottos. And then one 35 gallon heavily planted which has had gourami, rams, cory, feeder fish and snails over the years. There are also 4 more tanks but they are either empty or planted with no fish. I'm focusing on the 20 for now.

I really like sterbai cory, gourami, tetras, snails, but I'm curious if anyone has a combo they feel would be entertaining/different than what I have had. My husband wants loaches but I think they would get too big and I'd be forced to add them to my 75 which I had planned to use for axolotl.

I appreciate your help in brainstorming!
Vira is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2013, 07:50 PM   #2
LB79
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

Well, khuli loaches stay pretty small. Licorice gouramis, sparkling gouramis, badis, hatchetfish (if it's covered), emerald rasboras, ruby tetras, pencilfish.... there are a lot of unique choices out there just waiting to be explored.

–Boromir, The Lord Of The Rings
LB79 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 07:55 PM   #3
thebuddha
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (22/100%)

i think some rummy nose, sterbai, and marbled hatchet fish would look cool.

those powder blue gouramis are pretty cool looking too imo
thebuddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 08:21 PM   #4
Vira
Algae Grower

I did see rummy nose tetras at my lfs with the pencil fish too. They are very lovely!

I suppose I should have mentioned that the tank will not be fully covered. I usually plant semi-aquatics at the top of the tank like lilies and water ferns. My 20g long has two huge peace lilies.

The Kuhli Loaches are very cool to look at. I wonder if the floor space would be too small though. After thinking about it the 20 gallon tall doesn't really have a big footprint. Especially when planted.
Old 02-16-2013, 08:27 PM   #5
LB79
Wannabe Guru

Kuhlis are perfect small-tank fish. They're not really roamers. Thy prefer a hole and plant cover to racing around like their cousins.

Old 02-16-2013, 08:38 PM   #6
Vira
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by LB79 View Post
Kuhlis are perfect small-tank fish. They're not really roamers. Thy prefer a hole and plant cover to racing around like their cousins.
OK so they actually might do very well in the 20 then. I will definitely look into it. That would make my hubby very pleased!

The Badis also are intriguing. They look like beautiful fish. How does 5 badis and 5 sterbai cory sound?
Old 02-16-2013, 08:48 PM   #7
LB79
Wannabe Guru

Should work fine. The badis won't bother the cories like dwarf cichlids do.

Old 02-16-2013, 09:02 PM   #8
plantedtankfan
Algae Grower

If you like predatory fish, you could do some African Butterflyfish (Pantodon buchholzi). Then for the bottom, do some Kuhlis or cory. The butterfly live near the surface so it should be okay with kuhlis or maybe even badis.
plantedtankfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 09:36 PM   #9
Vira
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by plantedtankfan View Post
If you like predatory fish, you could do some African Butterflyfish (Pantodon buchholzi). Then for the bottom, do some Kuhlis or cory. The butterfly live near the surface so it should be okay with kuhlis or maybe even badis.
I love the african butterfly fish and they do sell them at Aquarium Adventure. I keep admiring them but I'm concerned they'd just hop out. Plus I don't think they do well with high light.
Old 02-16-2013, 09:41 PM   #10
plantedtankfan
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vira View Post
I love the african butterfly fish and they do sell them at Aquarium Adventure. I keep admiring them but I'm concerned they'd just hop out. Plus I don't think they do well with high light.
A mesh cover will help and some duckweed or Amazon frog bit will solve the high light. IMO if you like them, then you should keep them. You can just cut a hole through the mesh for your lily as they bloom.
plantedtankfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 09:50 PM   #11
Vira
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by plantedtankfan View Post
A mesh cover will help and some duckweed or Amazon frog bit will solve the high light. IMO if you like them, then you should keep them. You can just cut a hole through the mesh for your lily as they bloom.
Hmm mesh cover. I may be able to do that. I will, of course, have to check prices for all the fish before choosing. The butterflies were expensive last time I looked. But thank you for reminding me about them!
Old 02-16-2013, 10:09 PM   #12
lotuslullaby
Algae Grower

What about South American Bumble Bee Catfish (Microglanis Iheringi ) and dwarf gouramis. I have never tried this combo, but the Bumble Bee looks like a nice small catfish and the gouramis come in sunset colors and like the upper levels of a planted tank.

Last edited by lotuslullaby; 02-17-2013 at 02:25 AM.. Reason: typos
lotuslullaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 10:45 PM   #13
Vira
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotuslullaby View Post
What about South American Bumble Bee Catfish (Microglanis Iheringi ) and dwarf gouramis. I have never tried this combo, but the Bumble Bee like a nice small catfish and the gouramis come in sunset colors and like a the upper levels of a planted tank.
Woah! The bumble bees are awesome! They're like clown loaches in coloration - which is what appealed to my husband - but they stay small. I have never seen those before. They look like they would do well in my standard water too which is a bonus. These actually may be fun to add to my heavily planted 35 gallon in a larger quantity. I will add these to a definite buy for one of my tanks. It does look like I have to be wary of stores selling their similar cousin though. Apparently they are much bigger!
Old 02-17-2013, 02:29 AM   #14
lotuslullaby
Algae Grower

I noticed the bumble bee cat some time ago, but I will have to wait until I can set up a tank with slightly larger fish ( since the bumble bee might be tempted to nibble on really small fish ). Please let me know how they work out and what they like if you get some. =)
lotuslullaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 02:33 AM   #15
Vira
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotuslullaby View Post
I noticed the bumble bee cat some time ago, but I will have to wait until I can set up a tank with slightly larger fish ( since the bumble bee might be tempted to nibble on really small fish ). Please let me know how they work out and what they like if you get some. =)
Definitely! I will have to see if I can find them for sale first. Right now I only see them on Ebay but that's just a small search.

Edit:
I also note that there are a lot of warnings of them swallowing other fish. I might purchase a few and stick them in with my feeder fish and see if they eat them. Better that they swallow a 13 cent fish and not a $25 gourami or something!

Last edited by Vira; 02-17-2013 at 02:41 AM.. Reason: Additional Details