ETK's 48 Gallon High Tech
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 02-16-2013, 06:44 PM   #1
ETK
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

ETK's 48 Gallon High Tech

Hi everyone, first post here. First of all, thank you to everyone on here for creating such an incredible resource. This forum is my number 1 source of information.

Start with pictures!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/9334361...7632782924016/

Plants:
-HC (just planted, not in most pics)
-Anubias Frazeri
-Red Stem Plant
-Green Stem Plant
(Some of the stem plants will be replaced as the tank settles in. Planning to add Riccia Rocks near driftwood, more Anubias in shady spots, maybe a crypt or two)

Animals:
7 Black Phantom Tetras
3 Botia Striata (Zebra Loaches)
13 Amano Shrimp
5 Ottos
(planning to add a small group of Angelfish)

Equipment:
-Mr. Aqua 48 gallon, 36"x18"x18", rimless glass tank.
-Fishneedit 150W metal halide, hanging from ceiling.
-Fluval FX5 with biomax, a handful of old eheim bio media with good bacteria, and one coarse filter pad and one polishing pad. Yes, I know that is a huge filter for this tank. More on that later.
-Pressurized CO2 with a Milwaukee regulator, and an Ista mix max inline reactor.
-Hydor 300W inline heater.
-Flourite/gravel mix (reused, with lots of mulm), capped with pool filter sand.
-Driftwood from the LFS.

Here is my thinking behind the huge filter: I know from my last tank that you can get by less filtration, but it takes more work. Also, if your filtration is low, you probably need to add pump(s) for circulation. I chose the FX5 because it is the highest flow rate and most media volume for the price, and it gets mostly positive reviews for maintenance and reliability.
Also, once you do the numbers, the FX5 makes sense for this tank: Pump is rates at 925 GPH, but that is just the pump without the filter. Once you add the filter, you get a rating of 563 GPH, but that is without media. I not only added media, but also an inline CO2 reactor and an inline heater. On top of all that, I am using a PVC manifold to connect them all. One you add it all up, flow rate is probably less than 10X tank volume.

There are a couple problems with using inline equipment with an FX5. First, the huge 1” tubing doesn’t match any other items (heaters, reactors, UV filters, lily pipes). Second, the flow rate is probably too high anyway (UV filters and CO2 reactors, specifically). So, instead of reducing the tubing diameter and running all of the equipment inline, I decided to make a PVC contraption that allows me to run up to 3 devices in parallel. To make changing out equipment and adjusting flow rates easier, I added ball valves, and also included a bypass so that I can maximize flow and/or run the filter without sending any water through the reactor or heater of whatever I choose to add. The main sections of the manifold at 1” PVC, and the device loops are ˝” PVC with removable hose barbs to attach 13 or 17mm tubing. Right now there is an extra loop that I am not using, that may someday hold a UV filter, inline drop checker (anyone try that? Might be fun to build. As you can tell I do not like clutter in the tank), or ???
Here is the tanks progression so far:

After 2 weeks, the tank is running great! Zero ammonia and nitrites. Started EI dosing a week ago, and plants are growing well. Heading to the LFS later today to get some more plants and maybe a small group of Angelfish as the centerpiece.

Let me know what you think! Any recommendations for plants or fish?

-ETK
ETK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2013, 08:55 PM   #2
maclean216

Love the plumbing. Where in Socal are you/.
maclean216 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2013, 09:00 PM   #3
ETK
Planted Member

Thanks! That plumbing took a while to design and build, but it was a really fun project and well worth it. I love being able to adjust the flow through the co2 reactor without reducing overall flow. With the mix max reactor you can see the wheel spinning and judge the flow rate visually.

I am in Sherman Oaks. Any good planted tank shops down in SD?
Old 02-19-2013, 04:32 AM   #4
ETK
Planted Member

Default Angelfish, Anubias Nana, Crypt and Riccia

Here is a pic of the tank as it stands.

-Added three angelfish (Orange Marbled, i think)
-Added a second Anubius, this time a Nana. Perched in the driftwood on the right.
-Added a Crypt. When I removed it from the rockwool it came apart, so I planted it as three separate plants.
-Added Riccia. For now I am just floating it. After it grows for a while I will start making Riccia rocks to place around the driftwood.

Algae has finally made an appearance: a tiny amount on the glass, and a little on the sand. Hopefully the tiny patches of HC will cover the sand before the algae makes much progress. I also upped the CO2 a little. I am around 4 BPS.

I am also working on a light shield for the fishneedit metal halide. This version (pictured) is larger than the final product will be. I found Feral13's journal a little late, so I didn't know to pick up hinges for the light shield. Here is his awesome journal:
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=120702
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Light Shield.JPG
Views:	67
Size:	92.6 KB
ID:	90194  

Name:	ETK 2.18.13.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	87.3 KB
ID:	90202  

Old 02-19-2013, 05:15 PM   #5
ETK
Planted Member

Here are some of my Black Phantom Tetras. Had these for a long time, and one of them was actually born and raised in my 29 gallon! Somehow he survived hiding in some overgrown HC.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Black Phantom Tetras.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	123.3 KB
ID:	90314  

Old 02-19-2013, 05:30 PM   #6
tippeecanoe
Algae Grower

Very nice. I like what you've done so far and am looking forward to seeing what you want to do in future.
Nikon Pimp #098
Fraternity of Dirt #121
tippeecanoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2013, 05:47 PM   #7
ETK
Planted Member

Mahalo Tippee!

Here is another livestock close-up. This is one of three Botia Striata (Zebra Loach). I got these for my 29 gallon to control the snail population. They eliminated the snails almost immediately! I like these loaches because they stay relatively small and they are peaceful. Oh, and they have stripes. Who doesn't like stripes?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Botia Striata.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	79.0 KB
ID:	90354  

Old 02-19-2013, 06:49 PM   #8
raulfd4
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

I really like the "wave" in your substrate.
raulfd4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2013, 07:04 PM   #9
Ach1Ll3sH33L
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)

Glad to see more people getting this tank! How do you like the milwake regulator? Is the needle valve pretty stable?
Old 02-19-2013, 07:15 PM   #10
ETK
Planted Member

I have had no problems with the Milwaukee regulator. The trick for the needle valve is to keep an eye on the pressure in between the tank and the valve. It needs to be 20-30 pounds. When you first set it up it sometimes goes down after after the first few hours, which makes the needle valve finnicky. As long as you get the pressure stable around 20-30 pounds, it works great and the needle valve is linear and stable.

I used to use a 2.5 pound tank, though, and that was a pain since it only lasted about 2 months on my 29 gallon. Also, I can't find any more of the specific washer that it uses. I have been reusing the nylon one it came with, which has worked fine so far. I guess it's reusable . . ..

The 10 lb tank has been great -- been using it for a long time. Much more than 4 times the useful capacity of the 2.5 lb.
Old 02-19-2013, 07:51 PM   #11
ETK
Planted Member

Here is a close-up of my Angelfish. these are just under silver dollar sized.

Anyone know if their shape is normal?

I am curious about the rounded shape of their dorsal fins. Can I expect them to take a more typical stretched out Angelfish shape eventually? Are these fish healthy, or is their shape evidence of health problems or bad conditions previously? I have only had them a few days and they looked like this when I got them.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Angelfish.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	100.5 KB
ID:	90474  

Old 02-19-2013, 09:46 PM   #12
tippeecanoe
Algae Grower

Quote:
Anyone know if their shape is normal?

I am curious about the rounded shape of their dorsal fins. Can I expect them to take a more typical stretched out Angelfish shape eventually? Are these fish healthy, or is their shape evidence of health problems or bad conditions previously? I have only had them a few days and they looked like this when I got them.
I may be wrong, but I believe the dorsal fins should have been "fully in the upright and locked position" by now. It's probably more a result of poor breeding/inbreeding that has occurred here. If the fish are eating well and you don't plan on breeding them further, no sense in not enjoying them for the time being.
Nikon Pimp #098
Fraternity of Dirt #121
tippeecanoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2013, 06:27 AM   #13
ETK
Planted Member

Default ETK's 48 Gallon High Tech

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1361773044.155694.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	188.9 KB
ID:	93994

Here is the tank after the first real trimming. Not much to trim yet, but I am trying the make the stem plants into bushes, so I cut pretty low. I am going to cut them progressively higher each time in an effort to create the nice dense branching look that I have seen on other tanks.

Here is a pic of some of my Bacopa, which seems to be branching. I am not sure what this plant will look like trimmed this way, but I mostly have it I here to get the tank established, so I am willing to experiment.

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1361773414.778892.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	166.7 KB
ID:	94002

I can't remember the name of this red plant, but it is really thriving. Not really sure how it will respond to trimming since the nodes are pretty far apart and the leaves are big, so I don't think it will make a dense bush.

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1361773787.288190.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	237.5 KB
ID:	94018

And here is the HC. No need to trim this yet, but I think it is growing.

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1361773524.546411.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	264.5 KB
ID:	94010
Old 03-04-2013, 06:37 AM   #14
ETK
Planted Member

Added some riccia stones and trimmed the plants tonight. I had a bunch of riccia since I let it grow for a while as a floating mat. Here are some pics:

I used a green netting and fishing line to attach the riccia to river rocks. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1362378865.414676.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	204.2 KB
ID:	98474

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1362378942.100275.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	162.4 KB
ID:	98482Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1362378977.314934.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	302.0 KB
ID:	98498Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1362378994.254953.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	254.0 KB
ID:	98506Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1362379014.996823.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	284.8 KB
ID:	98514Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1362379034.422024.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	229.7 KB
ID:	98522
Attached Images

Old 03-20-2013, 06:50 PM   #15
ETK
Planted Member

Here are a couple pics of a light shield I made recently for my fishneedit 150 watt metal halide. Another TPT member led the way by showing how to use disassembled hinges to slide into the slots in the light. I chose to glue the hinges to thin aluminum from Home Depot (1'x1' sheets are about $1). All you need is a thin piece of aluminum, JB Weld epoxy, tin snips, 1.5" hinges with removable pin, and a metal file to take the sharp edges off after cutting the aluminum to size.Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1363801575.859299.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	72.9 KB
ID:	109090Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1363801587.918044.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	87.6 KB
ID:	109098Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1363801602.198735.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	34.5 KB
ID:	109106Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1363801828.096643.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	170.0 KB
ID:	109114

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.