Pressure foam under large aquarium advice
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 02-19-2013, 05:01 PM   #1
bradleyheathhays
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Pressure foam under large aquarium advice

Setting up a 72" long 125 gal on a support I already know is irregular so I need to compensate all that I can. I've run up on this Youtube video showing the use of what is called pressure foam or possibly polystrom to help compensate for my kind of tank support issue. I've searched a couple online aquarium supply stores but I haven't been able to turn up any such product.

Here's the video...

Did a search on polystrom and it seems like it's out of Australia, and I'm guessing there's a US equivalent.

Does anyone know where I should look for this kind of foam?

Thanks
bradleyheathhays is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2013, 05:36 PM   #2
Ach1Ll3sH33L
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)

you just need a thick rubber type mat, a lot of people use those yoga matts, i found this at my target and cut it up for my 50 gallon, worked well and is thick
http://www.target.com/p/gaiam-premiu...ok+fitness+mat
Old 02-19-2013, 05:40 PM   #3
Phantomlink
Algae Grower

dont quote me on this but I remember looking around for this stuff when I was setting up my 125 gallon. Is the tank your doing flat bottom or is the bottom elevated some compared to the sides of the tank? Everywhere I was reading mentioned the foam should only be used on flat bottom tanks because when the bottom is elevated the tank is designed to support all the weight on the sides/corner apparently the elevated tanks run into problems with foam.

I'm not really sure myself still trying to find a concrete answer my tanks are all elevated and I have foam under my two heaviest ones but I do need to empty and level my 125 soon so if I have to remove the foam its best to do it then
Phantomlink is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2013, 05:43 PM   #4
Bushkill
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

I didn't look at the video all the way through, but that's a flat-bottom tank. In other words it doesn't have the standard plastic trim around the bottom. Whatever brand of foam gets used, the reason for it is to compensate for any irregularities coming from the flat surface it's set on. Looks like a rimless tank set on an untempered bottom pane in he vid. They have vastly different stress dynamics from a stock, rimmed tank with a tempered bottom panel.

Is your 125G a stock 125G with plastic trim?

What's the nature of the "irregularities" of your "support"?
Bushkill is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2013, 05:45 PM   #5
Bushkill
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantomlink View Post
dont quote me on this but I remember looking around for this stuff when I was setting up my 125 gallon. Is the tank your doing flat bottom or is the bottom elevated some compared to the sides of the tank? Everywhere I was reading mentioned the foam should only be used on flat bottom tanks because when the bottom is elevated the tank is designed to support all the weight on the sides/corner apparently the elevated tanks run into problems with foam.

I'm not really sure myself still trying to find a concrete answer my tanks are all elevated and I have foam under my two heaviest ones but I do need to empty and level my 125 soon so if I have to remove the foam its best to do it then
Call any manufacturer of rimmed tanks (aren't many left now). If you don't use their stand, the warranty is void. Others will void a warranty if you use foam on their stand.
Bushkill is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2013, 06:32 PM   #6
Phantomlink
Algae Grower

I didnt know that, but thats fine to me I never sent in the warrenty papers when I got my tanks. The one tank I bought second hand that did leak I'm in the middle of selling it as a terrarium for more then I paid for it, tanks are really expensive in my area I go out of town to buy them. Every type of stand the store sells anyways isnt made by Aqueon All Glass they sell mostly Stingray stands
Phantomlink is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.