Red Cherry Shrimp -I am an Idiot *_*
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Shrimp & Other Invertebrates

Old 02-16-2013, 04:06 AM   #1
sportsfan2
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Red Cherry Shrimp -I am an Idiot *_*

1 month ago, after my betta of 18 months died, I decided to start from scratch fearing the possibility of sickness/disease in the aquarium and embark on a shrimp only tank.

It is a 10 gallon, with a 50W heater, and a sponge filter. Knowing I needed to cycle this brand new tank. I bought pure ammonia, API Master test kit, Seachem Prime, and.... Tetra Safe Start -_-.

I added Caribsea Super Naturals Tahitian moon sand (rinsed), and then added my driftwood marimo moss ball, java fern, and Anubias. Then added Seachem Prime. Then exams came and... yea... the tank was just filled with plants

FAST FORWARD TO TODAY (The Tank is Uncycled)>

From here everything goes downhill....Well today my pushy cousins came over and begged me to buy shrimp since I had a perfectly good setup just sitting there. I finally broke, added the TSS, and then being such as STUPID ***** IDIOT thinking the TSS needed ammonia I dosed the water to 1ppm Ammonia (that's what it reads as of 1 hour ago). I figured that for some reason I wasnt going to the LFS that day. But then off we went to my LFS where I bought 5 Cherry Shrimp.

FAST FORWARD 2 HOURS AGO>>

The shrimp are currently in a half gallon betta container, with Wysteria. The water is only about 2 inches high (0.1 a gallon of water all from the LFS bag) They seem to be pretty chill they're walking around normally. Meanwhile The ammonia in the tank still reads 1ppm, sponge filter running. Also the pH is 8

I am such a nublet.... *sigh*

Right now I feel my options are:

1) Add Prime to the 10 gallon, to detoxify the ammonia. Add the shrimp and do a crapload of WC's.

2) Fill the 1/2 gallon container to capacity with Prime treated water, add an airstone, meanwhile cycle the 10 gallon with TSS.

I've heard conflicting reports that Prime makes TSS null and void (kills the beneficial baceria). I also know that TSS will die without ammonia generated from fish/shrimp (This is why I thought dosing ammonia would be good).
It seems that I should forget the TSS, add the shrimp, and just do constant WC's with Prime to keep the ammonia in check for the shrimps..

I know RCS are extremely sensitive to Ammonia. Please, I beg for expert advice.

Thanks.

BTW, I'm a teen (16 years)
sportsfan2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2013, 04:49 AM   #2
I3raven
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)

There is two options, you can either return the shrimps or get bottled beneficial bacteria. However, it has NOT been proved it actually cycles tanks. But, there has been some fish keepers who have used beneficial bottled products and claimed they have successfully sped up the process. The best option is to return the shrimps, it saves you money because you have to buy more chemical products to keep the shrimps alive the cycling process. Since shrimps are delicate creatures, you should never use any chemicals except dechlorinizers. In my opinion, keeping fish, shrimps, and snails during the cycling process is just plain cruel due to ammonia spikes which causes ammonia burns. No aquatic animals should suffer this process regardless if they are hardy or not.
I3raven is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2013, 05:00 AM   #3
sportsfan2
Algae Grower

Ah yes, the 10 gallon already has TSS in it. It's just that the ammonia levels read 1ppm.

Would the 10 gallon be safe for the shrimps?

Thanks.
Old 02-16-2013, 05:16 AM   #4
I3raven
Planted Tank Obsessed

Honestly, I think beneficial bacteria is pointless, and I regret spending money on on it a long time ago. Your shrimps will still go through the stress of cycling. Beneficial bacteria basically just speeds up the process, it never guaranteed the safety of fish, especially shrimps. If you do choose to add the shrimps to the tank, I would add old filter media, gravel, and a lot of plants. The combination of beneficial bacteria and objects from established aquariums should cycle the aquarium in 2-3 weeks, but still I really believe you should return the shrimps. If you have any friends who hold established aquariums, you could try asking them to hold the shrimps until you cycle or seed the tank. Sorry for the ignorance on TSS, I didn't know it was short for Tetra Safe Start.
Old 02-16-2013, 05:34 AM   #5
sportsfan2
Algae Grower

Bah, im so mad at myself for my ignorance. I know I should've just stayed patient and go the pure ammonia route.

No point in regret, so anyway there is absolutely no remain of my old cycled tank. I feared there was some sort of disease/problem with the tank and totally "nuked" it. The Java Fern has grown really well, some leaves are 8-10 inches tall. The moss ball is also growing lushly. The anubias, not so much I'll probably take it out and put it in a watervase near the window (ferts too).

hmm.. returning them would be a great hassle. I also don't know if they'll accept them back. I could possibly ask another LFS if I could borrow/purchase some filter media? Maybe that will really instant cycle the aquarium.

BTW it's nighttime, will the shrimps survive overnight with only about 0.2 gallons still of water and Wisteria? I could add an airstone as well as treated tap water (treat with prime) The temp is a stable 65ish degrees.

So I guess it's final, the shrimps won't survive if I acclimate and put them in the 10gallon right now...

Thanks.
Old 02-16-2013, 05:39 AM   #6
Loumeer
Planted Member

What do you have to work with? You could easily buy some RO/DI water from the grocery store and remineralize it and put it in a tun with an air stone and the plants in a tub. This isnt ideal but could serve as a short term solution.

How long has the tank been running? It usually doesnt take all that long to cycle a tank.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsfan2 View Post
Bah, im so mad at myself for my ignorance. I know I should've just stayed patient and go the pure ammonia route.

No point in regret, so anyway there is absolutely no remain of my old cycled tank. I feared there was some sort of disease/problem with the tank and totally "nuked" it. The Java Fern has grown really well, some leaves are 8-10 inches tall. The moss ball is also growing lushly. The anubias, not so much I'll probably take it out and put it in a watervase near the window (ferts too).

hmm.. returning them would be a great hassle. I also don't know if they'll accept them back. I could possibly ask another LFS if I could borrow/purchase some filter media? Maybe that will really instant cycle the aquarium.

BTW it's nighttime, will the shrimps survive overnight with only about 0.2 gallons still of water and Wisteria? I could add an airstone as well as treated tap water (treat with prime) The temp is a stable 65ish degrees.

So I guess it's final, the shrimps won't survive if I acclimate and put them in the 10gallon right now...

Thanks.
Loumeer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2013, 05:50 AM   #7
creekbottom
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Firstly, I am no expert. Cherry shrimp are alot tougher than most people realize. But putting them in your tank right now will most likely kill them.

The good thing is that they have a small bioload and don't have much of a problem with cold water.

Can you put them in something bigger? Large kitchen bowl, tupperware container, keep the plants in it. Not sure about adding an airstone, that might depend on how large a container you can find otherwise it might be a shrimp vortex. Do daily water changes just in case.

As for the tank - you'll probably have to wait it out. Do water changes, keep monitoring levels. I've never used TSS and know nothing about it but it should help cycle your tank a little faster. Try turning the heat up a little too, that might speed things up.

Good luck!
creekbottom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2013, 06:05 AM   #8
82nd_Airborne
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

I'd just add treated tap to the 1/2 gallon and add the airstone. The TSS will speed up a cycle, and your shrimp should be fine in the 1/2 gallon until it removes the ammonia you added. Monitor both tanks and as soon as the ammonia is out of the 10g add them. Test the 10g daily for a week or two and do WC as needed. This is of course my opinion, but if returning the shrimp is not an option, this is what I would do.
82nd_Airborne is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2013, 06:20 AM   #9
OrangeSoda
Algae Grower

Holy much ado about nothing.

Just fill the temp tank with dechlorinated water. Shrimp have almost no bioload and you only have five of them. They would be fine in the half gallon even if the wisteria wasn't there. With the wisteria you are fine. Since it's a temp tank and you probably don't have any biofilm in there, remember to feed them.
Cycle the ten with the ammonia, give it time and do it right.

Edit: Is the five shrimp all that you are going to add to the ten?

N1k0n #58

They asked me to move because I was blocking a fire exit.
If you're flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a fire exit. -Mitch Hedberg

Last edited by OrangeSoda; 02-16-2013 at 06:30 AM.. Reason: Question added.
OrangeSoda is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2013, 06:26 AM   #10
OrangeSoda
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by 82nd_Airborne View Post
Monitor both tanks and as soon as the ammonia is out of the 10g add them.

This was good right up until here. Please remember that once the ammonia is processed by the bacteria. NitrIte is produced. Keep feeding the tank ammonia until both the ammonia and nitrIte is gone. Once all you read is nitrAtes, Do a water change. After that your tank is cycled and you can safely add livestock.

N1k0n #58

If you're flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a fire exit. -Mitch Hedberg
Old 02-16-2013, 03:24 PM   #11
I3raven
Planted Tank Obsessed

Like I said, maintaining shrimp in an uncycled aquarium is tedious and it would lead to buying more products. So if I had to keep the shrimps in a uncycled aquarium, I would check the water about twice a week and I would do a 20% water change weekly. But, if there was a dangerous amount of ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate, I would do a 30% water change slowly. I would not use any chemical products, except for beneficial bacteria. Adding anything from a pre-established aquarium to a uncycled tank would probably cut about 1-2 weeks. Cycling a tank could take from 3 weeks to even 6 weeks, so attempting to keep shrimps alive during the cycling process could be back breaking.

I have to disagree, Cherry Shrimps are easy to care for, but can be also hard. I've heard countless stories on deaths from instantly adding shrimps to the tank without drip acclimation method, deaths from adding a decoration with harmful chemicals leaching into the water, deaths from metals such as copper. I understand some people have successfully kept and bred shrimps for many years, but so many factors can cause RCS to die. Don't feel discouraged in buying RCS, they are undeniably fun to care for and maintain if you are aware of what you add or do to the tank.
Old 02-16-2013, 03:56 PM   #12
OrangeSoda
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by I3raven View Post
Like I said, maintaining shrimp in an uncycled aquarium is tedious and it would lead to buying more products.

Everything raven is saying is true.

Except the idea that 5 shrimp will generate a bioload that will produce an ammonia spike. This might be true if you are trying to keep them in 5 ounces of water for an extended period of time with no plants. They will be fine in a half gallon alone until the ten has cycled.

Once again, I have to ask if it will be a shrimp only tank. If it's just going to be the shrimp with plants, do a 100% water change on the ten and test to see that the ammonia is gone. Once you're sure that there is no ammonia, drip acclimate the shrimp into the ten. As long as there are plants in there the shrimp will be fine.

Essentially with the plants being able to handle more bioload than the shrimp can produce, the ammonia will never have a chance to build up.

The overriding factor here is going to be the length of time that the ten has been set up. If there is no biofilm, you will have to feed regularly.

I've been keeping RCS and CRS for the past five years and I can assure you that they are not as fragile as they are being made out to be.

N1k0n #58

Old 02-16-2013, 05:43 PM   #13
sportsfan2
Algae Grower

Hey guys sorry just woke up now. Thanks for all the replies.

Yes it will be just a cherry shrimp colony. All I have right now are the 5. Only shrimp for now, maybe snails but not for months.

Anyway my options are:
1) to keep the 5 in the filled half gallon, airstone, Wisteria and maybe add the marimo moss ball? Then cycle the tank with Ammonia and forget the TSS?

2) 100% water change, add shrimp. Do the water changes

I think i'll go with option 1. Thanks for all the input guys!
Old 02-16-2013, 06:18 PM   #14
sportsfan2
Algae Grower

More Info:

The tank had been running for a month prior. However it was just plants and light, and prime treated water. No ferts, nada havent even done a water change since the rescape.

Also the tank has a heater, and currently at 80F

Thanks.
Old 02-16-2013, 06:21 PM   #15
sportsfan2
Algae Grower

One last question...

On the matter of cycling the 10gallon and the fact there is TSS in it, should I do a 100% WC first before adding the pure ammonia?

Thanks!

Tags
shrimp

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.