Latest Infestation: Diatoms?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Algae

Old 02-16-2013, 02:09 AM   #1
karatekid14
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)

Latest Infestation: Diatoms?

My tank has been running for well over a year now and I am still suffering from algae. My latest fight is with diatom algae. I had heard that diatoms besides being caused by new tank syndrome, are often associated with too high of nutrient levels.

I have manually been pulling it out and lowered the water level to help oxygenate. I also have a pump to help with any dead spots and oxygenate.

Tank Specs
2x24W T5 HO ~8 hours a day
Co2 ~20 ppm
50% water change every week

Ferts 3x a week
Plantex CSM+B, KNO3, KH2PO4, K2SO4

PPM
Plantex CSM+B: Fe 0.5ppm
KNO3: K~ 6.13ppm N~ 2.196ppm NO3~ 9.723ppm
KH2PO4: K~ 0.184ppm P~ 0.146ppm PO4~ 0.448ppm
K2SO4: K~ 1.989ppm S~ 0.815ppm

Sorry if my info is confusing, I figured I should give it all. If you have any questions about the ferts please ask because I don't know if I gave relevant info.

Here is what it looked like Saturday and today. I can't keep up!

It is the thickest in the hair grass, although the pics don't show it.

Last edited by karatekid14; 02-16-2013 at 04:52 AM.. Reason: ...
karatekid14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2013, 03:15 AM   #2
l8nite
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I don't know enough to give you specific help, but I wanted to say:

1) Your tank looks awesome, even with the algae
2) Don't give up the fight, you'll get it under control with some patience and the advice from other folks here.
l8nite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 03:59 AM   #3
karce87
Long-time Lurker

PTrader: (24/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to karce87

It might be Rhizoclonium. I had it before. Just siphon it out as much as possible. lower the light period. increase CO2. That did the job for me.
karce87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 10:34 PM   #4
karatekid14
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I looked up Rhizoclonium and I don't think I have it. It looks very green and whatever algae I have is brown. I spent over 2 hours today pulling it out so now it looks like the photo from last Saturday. I am worried that by next Saturday it will look like the infested pictures.
Old 02-17-2013, 01:49 AM   #5
Jeffww
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

I have it. I have it EVERY time I start a new tank. It goes away on its own. In the meant time keep your co2 and circulation up. Siphon out what you can. I use a tooth brush and twirl it around. Eventually it goes away and never comes back.

It's a form of diatoms btw.
Jeffww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 02:10 AM   #6
xiaoxiy
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffww View Post
I have it. I have it EVERY time I start a new tank. It goes away on its own. In the meant time keep your co2 and circulation up. Siphon out what you can. I use a tooth brush and twirl it around. Eventually it goes away and never comes back.

It's a form of diatoms btw.
How long does it usually stay around for? I'm running into a diatom bloom in my new tank too. Been doing every 3 day water changes and scrubbing all my hardscape like crazy during the water changes.
xiaoxiy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 03:34 AM   #7
Jeffww
Planted Tank Guru

Give it a month. It's frustrating I know and you will probably have plants die on your while it happens. Just let it happen and when it's done it's done.
Old 02-17-2013, 03:57 AM   #8
sjb1987
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (120/100%)

Quote:
Give it a month. It's frustrating I know and you will probably have plants die on your while it happens. Just let it happen and when it's done it's done.
+1 very true.... Try not disturb your substrate either... It'll just make it worse
Old 02-17-2013, 04:06 PM   #9
karatekid14
Planted Tank Enthusiast

So the best option may be to let it run its' course, but what would be the cause of diatoms in an established tank? Unless I know what I did wrong I will have lots of frustrations. Also when people talk about ppm do they add the whole weeks amount of say K and say Xppm of K? Or are those levels the amount K you should dose each day. If it is each day then I have been doing things seriously wrong.
Old 02-18-2013, 08:34 PM   #10
latchdan
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (5/100%)

I'm having the same problem in an established tank. I just moved my tank and had to drain it and re-fill. Hope it goes away for me too I'm just removing it with a tooth brush but doesn't seem to slow it down. I also tried adden a couple fast growing plants to see if that will help as well.
latchdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 02:15 AM   #11
Jeffww
Planted Tank Guru

It comes from silicates. This can be from a change in your tap water, a change in substrate or just moving stuff around in the tank. The stuff's pretty bullet proof so I like to just use an old toothbrush with really messed up bristles to entangle everything and get rid of it.
Old 02-20-2013, 04:46 AM   #12
zzrguy
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)

I had diatom a added Otto's and they ate it then it came ba k i added shrimp they ate it it came back I added a snail he ate it it came back
. I now have Otto's Amanio shrimp and one little rams horn and the algae is under control.

29gal
zzrguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 11:06 PM   #13
AirstoND
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

nerites
AirstoND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 01:41 PM   #14
karatekid14
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
It comes from silicates. This can be from a change in your tap water, a change in substrate or just moving stuff around in the tank. The stuff's pretty bullet proof so I like to just use an old toothbrush with really messed up bristles to entangle everything and get rid of it.
I should get a silicate test kit and see if that is the problem. If it is I could get PhosGuard to remove the silicates, but that would also remove my phosphates. If I dosed higher phosphates would that counteract the PhosGuard or cause it to deplete faster?

As for otos and shrimp they won't touch the the algae. I would gets some nerites to clean the glass but I had a snail problem so there are still a few assassins left.
Old 02-21-2013, 10:11 PM   #15
latchdan
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (5/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by karatekid14 View Post
I should get a silicate test kit and see if that is the problem. If it is I could get PhosGuard to remove the silicates, but that would also remove my phosphates. If I dosed higher phosphates would that counteract the PhosGuard or cause it to deplete faster?

As for otos and shrimp they won't touch the the algae. I would gets some nerites to clean the glass but I had a snail problem so there are still a few assassins left.
I have a few nerites and from what I've seen haven't touched the algae. Althought they mainly stay on the glass and driftwood. I don't see them climbing the more delicate plants (which are most infested). Heck, the diatoms are growing on the snails shells.
latchdan is offline   Reply With Quote