Red Spot Shrimp
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Shrimp & Other Invertebrates

Old 02-27-2013, 06:44 PM   #1
Bananariot
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (26/100%)

Red Spot Shrimp

So I was reading my March/April 2012 Issue of Amazonas featuring dwarf shrimp. I first bought the magazine because of the shrimp pic on the cover. I didn't recognize it and I still don't.

Apparently it's called the Red Spot Shrimp, only categorized as Caridina Sp.
Apparently the author selectively bred for the red color and its natural color is actually golden. One of the natural pics is attached below.

Anyone have information on this shrimp? Cause googling it didn't yield much.

Bananariot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2013, 06:51 PM   #2
Betta Maniac
Wanabe BKK Herder

PTrader: (17/100%)

No idea, but they're certainly pretty.
Old 02-27-2013, 07:07 PM   #3
Hobbes1911
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (19/100%)

Are they possibly a variant of the Red Tuepfel shrimp? If so then they are the same species as tangerine tigers. I sadly have a whole story about them (tried getting them into the country once)

Last edited by Hobbes1911; 02-27-2013 at 07:08 PM.. Reason: something
Hobbes1911 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2013, 07:36 PM   #4
madness
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)

I have that issue somewhere.

I was under the impression that they are talking about the Red Tupfel (same as the Tangerine Tiger and Aura Blue but just a much earlier red color variation that was popular in Germany).

I wouldn't want to swear to that in a court of law or anything though.
madness is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2013, 07:37 PM   #5
madness
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)

At the time of that article I think that it wasn't too long after the designation Caridina Serrata became more used for the Tupfel shrimp so that might explain why they don't list a specific species of Caridina.
madness is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2013, 07:50 PM   #6
Hobbes1911
Wannabe Guru

Yea, the Red Tuepfel shrimp are very nice. And from the looks of it, I'd say that's what they are talking about. I might have the German version of the magazine somewhere and can look if they are talking about that particular variant.

Some time ago, I wanted to start a colony of RTS and I'd love to have some in the American hobby, so i went on the hunt. Problem was, I couldn't find any in the States. So I spoke with a lot of Germans and finally found someone who was willing to sell me some. However, the problem is that no one in Germany really keeps them and the gene pool has consequently shrunk down quite a bit. The breeder assured me with little transport time, a healthy set up and adequate quarantining measures that I would be able to start my colony. But the first point was almost impossible to achieve since I live in the States. After we started talking a bit he did mention that he has experienced issues with the colony. They are very fragile, do not take change well at all and are susceptible to diseases. He said that he has them in several designated tanks, just to prevent the whole colony to wipe out when several shrimp get sick. They are the same species as the tangerine tigers/aura blue and were just a random red mutation. But the mutation appears to be very rare, thus you rarely get new genes into the pool. Kind of sad that most likely they will disappear from the hobby in the future. Maybe, we can all help together to establish them in this hobby, or hope for more random red mutations out of C. serrata.

Apart from that if you want some more info on the specs I can try and see if I can dig up the email.
Old 02-27-2013, 11:36 PM   #7
abc
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)

nice shrimp but have never seen these being sold by anyone. I wonder when it will filter to aquabid or hobbyists who sell them online here
abc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2013, 12:33 AM   #8
Hobbes1911
Wannabe Guru

won't happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abc View Post
nice shrimp but have never seen these being sold by anyone. I wonder when it will filter to aquabid or hobbyists who sell them online here
Old 02-28-2013, 09:05 PM   #9
pinoyghost2
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)

Those are indeed Tupfel shrimps or Caridina Serrata...same as Tangerine Tigers and Aura Blue. In Germany they have had the Blue version long before it hit the US. I had both blue and red shrimps for about 6 months, before Aura Blue was even heard of. Imported them from Germany thru a local German LFS owner.

Unfortunately they are slow growers, and like to hang out in plants not on the bottom, so they don't really eat the regular shrimp food. I found it quite hard to get them fed with anything that didn't stick to floating plants or moss.

Tangerine Tigers and Aura Blue were developed from the original shrimp which is the Red version.
pinoyghost2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.