Plant out of Water
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 02-15-2013, 05:42 PM   #1
Adam C
Algae Grower

PTrader: (44/100%)

Plant out of Water

So a few weeks ago I picked up a 48"x72" 5 shelf rack that I am using to do some emmersed culturing Of the 5 shelves, 2 are almost full. For the lighting, I suspended t8 fixtures from the shelves. One fixture is a 4xt8 over the taller humidity domes, and the other is a 2 bulb fixture. When I do get around to setting up the 2 or 3 other shelves I will go with one more of each fixture.

Its been almost 3 weeks since I first set it up and the plants are doing amazing (most have only been in there a week). So far, the flora list includes Lindernia Rotundifolia, Nesaea Crass. Red, Limnophila Aromatica, HC, pogostemon helferi, flame moss, Ludwigia Rubin, bacopa myriophylloides, Ludwigia Brevipes, pogostemon erectus, hygro. siamensis, and ludwigia senegalensis.

I have placed a few orders for some new plants and I intend on putting some of them into emmersed conditions once they arrive. Others will go into some of the many tanks we have to see how they all do under different conditions.

Anyways, enjoy the pics and I hope to have more for you soon.

Adam C is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2013, 04:50 PM   #2
Adam C
Algae Grower

I wanted to post some updated pictures and show everyone some of the plants. The lindernia rotundifolia has absolutely exploded with growth. In fact, this morning I got our first lindernia flower. Quite pretty I might add.

The species in the pics below are lindernia rotundifolia variegated, ludwigia senegalensis, limnophila aromatica, and hygrophila corymbosa var siamensis.

Anyways, just wanted to share some shots (and have an excuse to play around with the camera and figure it out a little more). I hope to get more pics up soon.

~ Adam
Old 02-22-2013, 05:10 PM   #3
pweifan
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (58/100%)

This looks great
pweifan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 08:47 PM   #4
Adam C
Algae Grower

I wanted to take a few minutes and give everyone an update as well as share some pictures.

Almost everything has being doing excellent. I've been having trouble with bacopa myriophylloides converting but it seems that stems are finally producing some side shoots. Hopefully they will do better now.

Mold and fungus can definitely become issues! LOL. I acted quickly and the fresh smell of soil has been restored to the grow pantry In case you are wondering, I simply diluted normal H2O2 with water and applied it foliar feeding style. Some plants did not like this at all, but damage was done to leaves that had began to drop. Almost every plant is now doing better since the spray.

I also followed the spray up this morning with a micros, water, and H2O2 watering. (~ 1/5 H2O2 4/5 H2O)

I got a little bored this morning so I decided to rig a DIY co2 system for the top rack. Its only been on there a few hours, but I'm under the impression I will see results soon. I have 2x 3L bottles running individually to two grow trays each. We'll see how it goes.

Well, before I go rambling, I should cut it short and share some new pics! The first pic is of the set as it looks today. The second pictures is of p. helferi. It did not like the H2O2 spray but it looks a lot happier today. Finally is flame moss that has gone crazy. I didn't start with very much so to see it grow this fast is exciting.

Thanks everyone for your comments!

~ Adam
Old 02-26-2013, 09:33 PM   #5
mosspearl
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)

I love your plant set up!
OOO Order of Ornamentaria
Member in good standing

mosspearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 09:55 PM   #6
Chulios66
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Thumbs up Nice!

Pure genius! Way to get your creativity on.
Chulios66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 11:41 AM   #7
h4n
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (713/100%)

Looking good Adam!

Those taller dome are nice, Where did you get those?

And the flame moss looks so cool!

the DIY co2 is plumbed into each dome?

What soil are you using there?
h4n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 01:29 PM   #8
Adam C
Algae Grower

Thanks h4n!

I picked up the domes from a local hydroponic store. They have worked excellently. Although, it would be nice if they sort of clipped on the trays like the smaller domes do.

The co2 is two individual systems running into two grow trays each. I simply t'd the airline tubing and put it into the top vents on the domes.

The soil is Jungle Growth Flower and Vegetable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by h4n View Post
Looking good Adam!

Those taller dome are nice, Where did you get those?

And the flame moss looks so cool!

the DIY co2 is plumbed into each dome?

What soil are you using there?
Old 02-27-2013, 03:02 PM   #9
h4n
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (713/100%)
Default Re: Plant out of Water

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam C View Post
Thanks h4n!

I picked up the domes from a local hydroponic store. They have worked excellently. Although, it would be nice if they sort of clipped on the trays like the smaller domes do.

The co2 is two individual systems running into two grow trays each. I simply t'd the airline tubing and put it into the top vents on the domes.

The soil is Jungle Growth Flower and Vegetable.
Nice man!
I'll have to check my Local hydro store.

Did you get that soil there also?

-Sent from my Samsung Note, a "Phablet"
h4n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 04:01 PM   #10
Adam C
Algae Grower

Yea, hydroponic stores have a lot of nice tools that could be used for aquaculture.

Soil was picked up at a local nursery. I've always been a fan of the Jungle Growth for Veggies because of its rich dark color and use of vermiculite. Its given me really good results with vegetables and so far, I'm liking it versus MGOPT for aquatics.