Aqua Sol White LED For Planted 60-P
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Lighting

Old 02-13-2013, 05:17 PM   #1
Acen
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Aqua Sol White LED For Planted 60-P

Does Kelvin Really Matter in a planted tank? or is brightness the key?

I have a Aqua Sol Led White over my 60-P that can go from 12-14K down to 6500k, It has a brightness of up to 275watt Equivalent according to the manufacturer. Of course i wont be using it at 100%. I tend to like the look of the higher more Blue/White Kelvin.

Is anyone else outhere using a setup like this?
if so what colour temp or timing schedule are you using or would recommend?

Im doing a primarily Moss scape
My easy plants List:
Fissindins Mini
Fissidens Font
Vals Nana
S. Repens
UG
Flame
x-mas Moss

Last edited by Acen; 02-13-2013 at 05:40 PM.. Reason: spell
Acen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-13-2013, 07:20 PM   #2
TexasCichlid
Surrounded by Blyxa

PTrader: (27/100%)

I'd say you have a lot more light than you need on that tank you what you are doing. Lots of variables. Do you have CO2? Are you dosing ferts? How high do you have the light above the tank? What % do you have it dimmed down to?
TexasCichlid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2013, 02:09 PM   #3
Steve001
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acen View Post
Does Kelvin Really Matter in a planted tank? or is brightness the key?
It matters somewhat because it indicates that light would be high [a spike] in blue light and possibly deficient in shorter wavelengths. Or it could just have a high output in blue light that over powers other wavelengths. There's no way to tell without seeing a spectral distribution graph. Sunlight at tropical latitudes is approximately 5500-5900 k with a spread that looks like this.

Quote:
I have a Aqua Sol Led White over my 60-P that can go from 12-14K down to 6500k, It has a brightness of up to 275watt Equivalent according to the manufacturer. Of course i wont be using it at 100%. I tend to like the look of the higher more Blue/White Kelvin.
Ignore watts because that tells you the amount of energy this light uses in 1 hour and nothing more.

Quote:
Is anyone else outhere using a setup like this?
if so what colour temp or timing schedule are you using or would recommend?
For any lighting source a K temperature between 5500-6500 [ closer to 5500k] coupled with a color rendering index of over 90 will provide all that your plants need. With mulitiple color led's this can be easily achieved over most single source lighting.
Attached Images

Steve001 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2013, 09:05 PM   #4
Acen
Algae Grower

Thanx Steve001. good info i asked because im currently running 5000
k LED's from home depot and the growth is good, but i have also seen good results from the 9-10K range also. I read somewhere that the plants would adjust to ANY colour and that brightness was more important.

Yes im dosing EI,
light is 24" above surface
Co2 injected
Old 02-14-2013, 09:06 PM   #5
Acen
Algae Grower

For the record

"K does not matter much, but the colors might appear nicer and reflect pretty , some combos seem to produce nice color, but it's a trial and error type of thing really.

Do not trust the light bulb marketing

I'd do a mix of different color temps with the LED's,, mostly towards the red end, and few blues and other colors mixed."
Old 02-15-2013, 12:34 AM   #6
Steve001
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Thanx Steve001. good info i asked because im currently running 5000
k LED's from home depot and the growth is good, but i have also seen good results from the 9-10K range also. I read somewhere that the plants would adjust to ANY colour and that brightness was more important.
You're welcome.

Single source lighting like 6500 K... cfl's, flourescents tubes etc is always deficient or perhaps with no intention from the manufacturer just happen to be no more than adequate. There are exceptions though such as plasma lighting, but that's overkill except for very large tanks. The best option in my opinion at the moment are the use of multi-color led's now available. Using either will produce good PAR, CRI and high lumen. LED is more practical though.

Frankly, I don't see why 6500K bulbs or higher K bulbs are the preferred temperature instead of bulbs that have a K temp of 5500 K. There are bulbs in that K temp.

Last edited by Steve001; 02-15-2013 at 01:11 PM.. Reason: x
Old 02-15-2013, 06:28 PM   #7
Acen
Algae Grower

I think its the pretty thing, the hobby is largely influenced by what looks good to the human eye, so ultimately we are trying to strike a balance between the plant and aquarium needs and our own aesthetic preference.
Old 02-15-2013, 08:58 PM   #8
Steve001
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
I think its the pretty thing, the hobby is largely influenced by what looks good to the human eye, so ultimately we are trying to strike a balance between the plant and aquarium needs and our own aesthetic preference.
That and the fact people may not know there are bulbs, cfl's in fact, in the 5500K range with above 90 CRI. Plants look good in that light too.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.