lost in lightning!!! for my new 50-60 gal project
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Lighting

Old 02-14-2013, 03:07 PM   #1
David P.
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

lost in lightning!!! for my new 50-60 gal project

Hi,
I'm reading since a while on this forum, found lots.. lots.. lots of informations, maybe to much . I'm kinda lost for lightning!!

I'm starting to plan my new projet. All my other tanks ar low-mid light, prety much low tech. I want this project to be high light, hight tech.:
1. Tank (not decided yet)
a. ADA or Do Aqua 90cm x 45cm x 45 cm (~160L)
b. Blau Aquaristic : 36'' x 20'' x 20'' (~230L)
2. CO2 system, drop check, diffuser, Blau aquaristic lily pipes, etc
3. Filter Eheim 2215/2217 or Sicce Whale 2 or 3 (all depend of tank size)

3. Hardscape, unsure but i think i'll be inspired by that :

4. Stocking: few species for larger number of each. not decided yet (oto, 6-8cory panda, 1-2 species of shoaling fish, probably RCS). i don't want something to crowded...

5. Lightning!!!! HELP!!
i looked at many treads, forum, suppliers.... but i'm lost. T5HO seems to be the way to go but some CFL seems good too. I will avoid LED.

- Aquatic Life 36" T5 High Output Fixture with 4 - 39W Bulbs and 4 - 1W Lunar LED's - Built-in Digital Timer
- Blau Aquaristic Lumina - 36" 4 x T5-HO 39W
- Deep Blue SolarXtreme - 36" Quad Lamp Fluorescent T5 HO Light System with Moonlight LEDs
- Hagen Glo T5 High Output 36" Double Light Fixture - With 1-Lifeglo II and 1-Marine-glo (actinic) 39 Watt T5 High Output Bulb

CFL:
Coralife FRESHWATER 36" 2-96 Watt Aqualight
but i have seen some supplier stopping to supply this product du to lack of demand !?!

Any advice on lightning would be REALLY REALLY appreciated,

thanks in advance!
David P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2013, 04:40 PM   #2
Ach1Ll3sH33L
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)

You should decide on the tank first cause both those tanks i would light a little differently. If it were me, i would spring for the larger tank, the extra depth and volume will go a long way when your aquascaping. T5ho's will give you a better, and more even spread of light with less spillover, you also have a ton a bulb's to choose from to get the look you want. Take a look at the ATI dimmable 36x4watt. these are expensive, but the ability to dim the fixture, ramp up the c02 and lighting in unison, is well worth the money. If your gonna go high tech, might as well go all out. Another thing worth looking into is a wet/dry sump. If you plan to go high light, the wet dry will give your tank much more 02, allowing you to run the c02 at higher levels safely.
Old 02-14-2013, 05:11 PM   #3
David P.
Algae Grower

Hi,
i have to say that i will probably pick the Blau Aquaristic tank, for the difference in volume as you mention, the price is between the ADA and Do-Aqua, it's a good compromise

For the fixture, i just looked at the ATI dimmable 36x4watt, looks nice, but must watch out for budget. i like the controler in it!!!

I will use T5HO for sure, still need to decide 6700k or 10000k.

I did not plan to use a wet-dry sump, i believed it was mainly for Reef aquarium. but i will read on it. It seems it help to have a crital clear water!

thx
Old 02-14-2013, 08:42 PM   #4
Hoppy
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (74/100%)

Before you give up the idea of LED lights, why are you so sure you don't want them? Light is light, whether from LEDs, T5's, T8's, PC's, etc. There are good and bad versions of all kinds of lights.
Old 02-14-2013, 09:01 PM   #5
Green_Flash
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)

Also remember 36x20 is an odd footprint, 36 x 18 is a common/standard foot print when looking for a stand to use, it may be hard to find a 36 x 20 stand w/o going custom.

I would pick the ADA 90-P, in the US, it is the same price as the Do!aqua 90-P, not sure if the same is true for Canada.
Since you are buying a large tank, might as well get the best option and do it right the first time. quality/reliability are the deciding factors.
Green_Flash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 09:10 PM   #6
David P.
Algae Grower

Hi,
i just got back from a ReefAquarium shop, i wanted to go there because i was refered to one of their seler, he's known to be a 'freak' for lightning...

I was under the false impression that T5HO were THE light suited for plants.
also..
He made me do some math for T5HO, some fixture are cheaper, but the one i target will be in 300-400$ price range. I was under the impression that T5HO were good for more than a year, i even saw somewhere up to 24 months... he told me that i should plan changing every 8 months or so (12 months max).
300$ fixture
4x39w T5HO (4x25-30$) lets say 100$ every 8 months
it makes 450$ initial + 100$ in the same year. 550$ year 1... its a pretty decent LED system at that price
Also power consuption, 156w vs a lot less for LED...

I also stumble on a pretty nice tread: http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=160396

ok ok... i will consider LED... in fact i'm pretty much changing my mind now... i feel i lost so much time trying to figure out CFL, T8, T5HO

i'm more lost than ever... and i feel lighting is one of the most improtant item to settle for my tank!!!
Old 02-14-2013, 09:16 PM   #7
David P.
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green_Flash View Post
Also remember 36x20 is an odd footprint, 36 x 18 is a common/standard foot print when looking for a stand to use, it may be hard to find a 36 x 20 stand w/o going custom.

I would pick the ADA 90-P, in the US, it is the same price as the Do!aqua 90-P, not sure if the same is true for Canada.
Since you are buying a large tank, might as well get the best option and do it right the first time. quality/reliability are the deciding factors.
i did look at the ADA 90x45x45 cm, it's more expensive than the Blau Aquaristic 36x20x20 inch.
ADA 564,00 $ 166 L
Do Aqua 369,00 $ 166 L
Blau 479,95 $ 230 L

as you said, i want a pretty solid set up for that tank, i'm looking for a nice design/nice looking build (for the ligntning) and a good quality.
i will avoid paying a ADA or Blau and put cheap stuff around it.
Old 02-15-2013, 02:54 AM   #8
Green_Flash
Wannabe Guru

Two T5's should be able to grow anything you like.

Interesting, the do!aqua is cheaper in canada. Those are very nice as well. The only difference is the glass, LIG vs regular.
Old 02-15-2013, 02:50 PM   #9
David P.
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green_Flash View Post
Interesting, the do!aqua is cheaper in canada. Those are very nice as well. The only difference is the glass, LIG vs regular.
The retailer told me that the price for Do Aqua will increase shortly, it will be closer to the Blau Aquaristic tank. I must decide ASAP for the tank!!
Old 02-15-2013, 08:51 PM   #10
Green_Flash
Wannabe Guru

$370 is a great price for that size tank, even here in the US it is not that cheap.
Old 02-16-2013, 12:48 AM   #11
David P.
Algae Grower

Hi,

Ok i'm still not decided yet, but it seems that most of the 4bulb T5HO fixture will produde to much light for any planted tank.

I guess i need to go with 2 bulbs fixture and aim at a mid light aquarium.

I feel that with H5TO it's either mid light or wayyyyy to much light.
It's sad because the nicest items (design) were for the 4 bulbs fixture (ATI, Blau).

If i look at the LED i found the Finnex Ray II Ultra Slim LED DS - Dual 7000k , wich seems realy good and at a good price. They are BO until mid-march
If i can get a decent price for the Blau Lumina LED 'Plant special', i might go with that even if more expensive, pretty nice features on it.
Old 02-16-2013, 01:58 AM   #12
Green_Flash
Wannabe Guru

Maxspect Razor 8K?
Old 02-16-2013, 02:32 AM   #13
David P.
Algae Grower

You are right, they are good, there was some raser in display in a lfs specialized in salt water aquariums. He did not held the 8k in stok, ony the 10k
Old 02-16-2013, 03:14 AM   #14
Ach1Ll3sH33L
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)

In concern to the bulb life of the t5's, i know some reefers replace bulbs as often as 8 months, but that's not really necessary for a planted tank. I've had quality geisemamn bulbs last 2 years, g.e star coats the same without any negative consequences to plant growth. I tried led's and I got adequate plant growth, but I ran into a problem with certain plant species and led lights, mostly red stems.
Old 02-16-2013, 03:19 AM   #15
l8nite
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)

I keep chuckling about the idea of "lightning" for a freshwater tank...
l8nite is offline   Reply With Quote