CO2 useage. Is this normal ?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 09-17-2003, 11:07 PM   #1
Doomer
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

Just got my 20 # tank refilled today. It feeds a heavily planted 75 gal. and only lasted about 6 months. I was expecting it to last a little longer than that. Could I have a leak or did the tank use it all ?

Thanks
Doomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-17-2003, 11:37 PM   #2
JLudwig
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doomer
Just got my 20 # tank refilled today. It feeds a heavily planted 75 gal. and only lasted about 6 months. I was expecting it to last a little longer than that. Could I have a leak or did the tank use it all ?

Thanks
Hey Doomer....

I usually go through a 5lb tank in 6 months for a 30 gallon, you might be a little high but I keep the levels a little low in that tank ~ 15-20ppm... really cranking it you might go through that much...
Old 09-17-2003, 11:50 PM   #3
Rex Grigg
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Send a message via ICQ to Rex Grigg Send a message via AIM to Rex Grigg

What kind of bubble rate are you running? And have you checked for leaks?
Rex Grigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2003, 11:50 PM   #4
Buck
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (3/100%)

20#... 6 months ? :shock:

Check for leaks bro....
Old 09-17-2003, 11:56 PM   #5
Doomer
Planted Tank Obsessed

I'm using a solenoid/controller and a Reactor 1000. I checked for leaks using soapy water and Windex. Neither one works very well but it didn't show any leaks. I'm also running an Aquaclear 500 filter in addition to an Eheim 2028. I know the Aquaclear is causing some co2 loss but I didn't think it would be this much but maybe it is.
Old 09-18-2003, 12:03 AM   #6
Buck
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (3/100%)

whats the bubble rate to keep it at your desired setting ?
Old 09-18-2003, 12:05 AM   #7
Doomer
Planted Tank Obsessed

I just dipped the bubble counter in a pitcher of water and no leaks there. This is the only thing I can dip. The tubing is the black Clippard stuff and it fits very very tight at all connections.

Is it possible for a regulator to have a have an internal leak ? How about a solenoid ?

btw: I use a new washer when I change tanks.
Old 09-18-2003, 12:12 AM   #8
Guttboy
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Guttboy

Doomer,

you might want to see how many bubbles are going through the bubble counter per second. There comes a point with diminishing returns on the CO2 injection.....you may have so much CO2 coming out of the tank that it all cant become saturated in the water and you are losing it.

I run my bubble count in the counter at 2-3 bubbles per second. It is on an automatic pH with solenoid so when the pH gets to 6.8 it shuts off.

This is working for me and may not work for others.

I got a partial fill on my CO2 tank 5# one. They had to fill off an existing tank because they werent pumping that day and I didnt want to wait. So far the tank PSI has not budged. I have been running this for about 2 months now.

To go through 20# tank in 6 months is in my opinion excessive. Either you have that bubble count insane....or you have a leak. I would suspect some sort of a leak.

The only way to be sure of the leak in my opinion is to submerge the setup and check. This wont work because you will mess up your solenoid. Try looking at the obvious place...if your bubble count is not too high...aka a constant stream so much you cant count the bubbles...then work back towards the tank. Try putting the soapy water where there are connections to see. Also, over the period of 6 months the leak can be very small....so much so you wont see the bubbles either.

My 2.5 cents...

Good Luck.

Mike

10 Gallon...20 Endler's live bearers planted, peat/kitty litter/sand substrate

15 Gallon...Just Schultz Aquatic Plant soil
Guttboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2003, 12:42 AM   #9
Doomer
Planted Tank Obsessed

THE THREE STOOGES STRIKES AGAIN !!!!!!!

OK, I almost have to laugh (or cry)

I decided to tighten my Clippard needle valve. It screws directly into the regulator. It must have been fully tight already. I promptly rung it off. Luckily, I have a Noshok valve for a backup so I gathered all the fittings together to hook it up. I took the regulator out to the garage so I could put it in the vise while I tightend all the connections. When I put it in the vise I noticed that the body (the part that the adjustment screw fits in) was totally loose. Dunno if it would have leaked CO2 from there but it's nice and tight now.

My 6 year old asked me if she could play with the now broken Clippard valve and I said sure, why not. A few minutes later I looked over at here and she had manged to unscrew the valve from the body and it was now in 2 pieces. She did this without any tools so it had to be super loose to begin with.

Anyway, it's all back together now and I made sure everything was good and tight. Hopefully, if the problem was in this area, it's fixed now.

This all sounds like a Rube Goldberg fix.
Old 09-18-2003, 11:27 AM   #10
m.lemay
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

The Aquaclear could also be responsible for a lot of CO2 loss. You could easily be using twice as much as compared to a canister with no surface agitation.

Marcel
FILSTAR Pimp #2

75 gal heavily planted,50/50 Black beauty,Eco-complete substrate, Pressurised CO2 with solenoid, ph controller, AB Reactor 1000, 330 watts 9325K GE PC lighting,Ehiem Liquidoser, 2-Filstar xp3 canisters.
m.lemay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2003, 11:38 AM   #11
Doomer
Planted Tank Obsessed

Thanks Marcel. I've been thinking of removing it. It's a real PITA to clean and if I don't clean the tube once a week it will clog up completely.