Planted Community tanks
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 02-13-2013, 07:42 PM   #1
Blackheart
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)

Planted Community tanks

So I had a curious question about these... Do you think these are acceptable for smaller tanks? I'm not really talking about small small, I have a 56 gallon tank.

Could you say, do a community tank, say of like, 4, 5, 6 different species, so long as there were small schools of them like 5-7 of each fish?
Blackheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-13-2013, 07:49 PM   #2
sarahspins
Planted Tank Obsessed

Yes.. my community tank has 2 angels, a herd of oto's (I put 15 in there, hoping at least half would survive - and I don't think I've lost any.. I'm leaving them alone for now, but eventually some will be moved into other tanks), 6 cherry barbs, 2 albino BN pleco's and soon I will add in a school of rummynose tetras (they are arriving tomorrow and are going into a 30 long quarantine tank) - and my tank will be stocked.

My tank is moderately (maybe heavily) planted and so far, so good It's been up and running since September when I joined the forum.
sarahspins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 09:58 PM   #3
lotuslullaby
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Smile community tank

We are very impressed with our tetras and corydoras so far. Most of the corys and tetras come in pretty small sizes, so it is easy to come up with a nice combination. The rasboras look neat too. We decided to add a Male Betta in with our community fish and it is working out well so far. It is nice to see a bunch of schooling fish with different behaviors. I think the corys are especially fun to watch ( sand is a good idea if you go with corys ). We are going to try otos too, but haven't gotten that far yet.
lotuslullaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 10:06 PM   #4
Dx3Bash
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (7/100%)

Yes. In my 55 gallon jungle I have 14 Neons, 8 Rummy-Nose, and 9 Rasboras Espei. This is in addition to a few corys and ottos. No issues. However, the only fish that really "school" are the Rasboras Espei.
Old 02-14-2013, 01:50 AM   #5
greenaqua
Algae Grower

Quote:
We decided to add a Male Betta in with our community fish
How big is the Betta? Its not chasing anyone else?

I had 8 Rummy nose first and they were schooling and then I added 8 Neons...now both don't school!!
greenaqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 04:00 AM   #6
LB79
Wannabe Guru

You could pack a lot of fish in a tank that size if you did regular (weekly) large water changes (no larger than 50% would be fine).

–Boromir, The Lord Of The Rings
LB79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 04:11 AM   #7
Blackheart
Wannabe Guru

Well I'm not talking about a LOT of fish lol

Maybe 3 or 4 different schooling tetras. not sure though. considering maybe just doing head and tail light tetras and a small school of denison barbs.

Last edited by Blackheart; 02-14-2013 at 04:11 AM.. Reason: ...
Blackheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 04:26 AM   #8
wicca27
Planted Tank Guru

Send a message via Yahoo to wicca27

there are alot of small schooling fish, neons, cardinals, glowlights, emperor tetras, several different kinds of rasbora that would work
wicca27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 03:01 PM   #9
lotuslullaby
Algae Grower

Smile Betta in a Community Tank

We have a 25 gallon tank, that is just slightly wider than it is tall. We added some crypts and java ferns, then added 6 neon tetras while we were waiting for a shipment of plants ( water sprite, hygrophilla agustopholia, and micro sword ). The new plants were planted upon arrival and two weeks later we moved a full size male betta from the quarantine tank. The neons love him and follow him all over. The betta ignores the neons, but he does zoom over and flare up at some of the snails that must have hitchhiked in on the plants ( though we have never seen him eat a snail ). The neons are actually much more aggressive at feeding time and the betta never seems to mind this, but lets them eat their fill. The one thing that hasn't worked out is that we thought the betta would stay at the top of the tank, the neons, in the middle, and that we would have corys for the bottom level. Our betta loves the plants so much that he is most often playing down in the middle and bottom of the tank in the plants. I have heard of people with aggressive bettas though. It might be a good idea to have a 5g or 8g tank available to remove the betta to if they are aggressive, introduce the betta after the other fish have claimed the tank, have a small plastic colender to place over the betta until he settles in, and make sure there are lots of plants , rock caves, or stumps for fish to hide in. We have been lucky and our betta didn't require any of the precautions, but always better to be prepared.
lotuslullaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 09:23 PM   #10
plantedtankfan
Algae Grower

In my 46g bowfront, I have a female angel, 23 Black Neon Tetras, 15 Rummy Nose, 3 GRB and 3 otos and 1 SAE.
plantedtankfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 12:23 AM   #11
marko d
Algae Grower

I have really enjoyed my white clouds for the last couple months. Real active, school nicely. Resiliant, havent lost any. Not the most colorful fish, but lots of personality. They love floating plants. Hungry lil buggers. Got ten of them in my 20 long with 2 otos, and 2 GBR, ghost shrimp, z. neorite.

Posted from Plantedtank.net App for Android
marko d is offline   Reply With Quote