Activity - Page 25
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Local Pet Stores, Clubs, and Conventions > Michigan

Old 07-13-2013, 12:35 AM   #361
lullafishi
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (7/100%)

Bought my first fish for my 40b today! 6 kerri tetras and 2 amano shrimp from Bluefish. The kerri tetras are being drip acclimated right now, and then they'll go into quarantine for the next 45 days. If all goes well I plan on adding to their school number.

The amanos are in my 40b and are happily exploring. I'm pretty excited to have something other than snails to study in there for awhile, haha.
lullafishi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2013, 12:41 AM   #362
BarbH
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lullafishi View Post
Bought my first fish for my 40b today! 6 kerri tetras and 2 amano shrimp from Bluefish. The kerri tetras are being drip acclimated right now, and then they'll go into quarantine for the next 45 days. If all goes well I plan on adding to their school number.

The amanos are in my 40b and are happily exploring. I'm pretty excited to have something other than snails to study in there for awhile, haha.
Congrats on your new additions. I always love seeing new life in my tanks. Looking forward to seeing some pictures.

Sent from my LG-MS770 using Tapatalk 2
BarbH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 08:28 AM   #363
Maechael
Planted Tank Obsessed

Ditto to What Barb said, Also hoping to get some pics of my own up tomorrow.

And by tomorrow I mean at some point in the next 6 months.
Hopefully.

~George Orwell~

It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change.

~Charles Darwin~
Maechael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 06:39 PM   #364
Blackheart
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)

I was thinking about setting up a 55 gallon tank. Idk if it's worth it or not, because I already have a 56 gallon column style tank. But obviously a 55 gallon is longer so it looks much larger.
Blackheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 11:21 PM   #365
BarbH
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackheart View Post
I was thinking about setting up a 55 gallon tank. Idk if it's worth it or not, because I already have a 56 gallon column style tank. But obviously a 55 gallon is longer so it looks much larger.
Do you know what you would want to put into the 55 gallon? If you have the room and haven't gotten the 55 yet might want to think about a 75. Same length but a little more depth to work with when scaping.

Sent from my LG-MS770 using Tapatalk 2
BarbH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 08:20 PM   #366
Blackheart
Wannabe Guru

Only White Clouds. and maybe a few small other tetras. I know the 75 is bigger, but then I'd also have to upgrade my filter system and I don't want to do that.
Old 07-17-2013, 06:53 PM   #367
Maechael
Planted Tank Obsessed

Go for the 75, don't upgrade filtration, just add to it.
If using a HOB get a secondary, or even a third this way when it comes time to clean, you can do one at a time, and always have 2 established filters running.

Finally broke down my 20 long, moved it's residents into either a 15 rimless, and 55 community tank.
Considering dropping another tank or two within the next month, just to keep maintenance down.

Also would allow me to have much better filtration on the remaining tanks, since I'd have extra filters haha.

Random side question, Do any of you Michiganders run Marina slimline filters?
I've been considering buying a few since they're cheap but I'm curious to see if they're worth it, or if I should just buy some small marineland or aquaclears instead.

~George Orwell~

It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change.

~Charles Darwin~
Old 07-19-2013, 06:19 PM   #368
Blackheart
Wannabe Guru

I decided not to go with the 55 or the 75, and went with a 40 breeder that I got from Petco today. I also noticed that they had those brooklyn 40g breeder stands for 52 bucks. I'm gonna go the cheap route, however, an attempt to build a stand out of cinder blocks, since they're only like a dollar something at Home Depot.

Hmmm I'm not too sure on the marineland slimline filters. I've seen them before, but the only HOB filters I've ever trusted honestly is Cascade power filters. So sorry can't help!

Last edited by Blackheart; 07-19-2013 at 06:23 PM.. Reason: ...
Old 07-20-2013, 01:38 AM   #369
Plant keeper
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maechael View Post
Go for the 75, don't upgrade filtration, just add to it.
If using a HOB get a secondary, or even a third this way when it comes time to clean, you can do one at a time, and always have 2 established filters running.

Finally broke down my 20 long, moved it's residents into either a 15 rimless, and 55 community tank.
Considering dropping another tank or two within the next month, just to keep maintenance down.

Also would allow me to have much better filtration on the remaining tanks, since I'd have extra filters haha.

Random side question, Do any of you Michiganders run Marina slimline filters?
I've been considering buying a few since they're cheap but I'm curious to see if they're worth it, or if I should just buy some small marineland or aquaclears instead.
I know a friend of mine has a Marina slimline filters and he likes it.

Last edited by Plant keeper; 07-20-2013 at 02:50 AM.. Reason: redid
Plant keeper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 02:37 AM   #370
GMYukonon24s
Planted Tank Guru

I have a Marina S15 that I picked up for $5 that was on clearance and I've never had a problem with it and I've enjoyed having it.

MIAPG - Come join us - Plantedtank - MI - Greatlakesaquaria
GMYukonon24s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 07:07 AM   #371
Maechael
Planted Tank Obsessed

Alright, Thanks everyone for the input, I've seen the marina's on clearance here and there, Next time I see them cheap I'm going to pick a few up for secondary filters on my larger tanks.

Also the Meijer in Birch Run is clearing it's Marineland Selection out, it's all on clearance at about 30% off.

~George Orwell~

~Charles Darwin~
Old 07-21-2013, 09:55 PM   #372
Blackheart
Wannabe Guru

considering setting up my 40g breeder tank as a plant only tank.
Old 07-22-2013, 01:32 PM   #373
lullafishi
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (7/100%)

The only fauna in my 40b right now are snails, two amano shrimp, and one guppy. I've only had the shrimp and guppy in there for a short while, but before them I enjoyed my planted snailquarium immensely. I wouldn't have guessed I'd enjoy planted-only tanks much, but they're very relaxing!
lullafishi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 08:41 PM   #374
Blackheart
Wannabe Guru

Well, honestly, I find the plants and everything that has to do with them much more interesting then the fish, shrimp, snails, etc.
Old 07-22-2013, 09:26 PM   #375
hutch11
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lullafishi View Post

Where did you find those kerri tetra? I have been in that store a lot lately and I havnt seen them yet! are they in the new rooms they expanded to?
hutch11 is offline   Reply With Quote