Activity - Page 14
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Local Pet Stores, Clubs, and Conventions > Michigan

Old 04-09-2013, 08:55 AM   #196
Maechael
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

Looks nice, Sarazorz.
will have to read through another time, but I skimmed the pics, Beautiful, beautiful Rams.

I like what you did with the whitish sand and smaller gravel in those pics too.
I'd say if the cabomba comes out of the left back, Larger rotalas could work for you.
or maybe even one of the largish swords.

~George Orwell~

It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change.

~Charles Darwin~
Maechael is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-12-2013, 06:02 PM   #197
Maechael
Planted Tank Obsessed

Hooked up DIY Co2 test rig last night, 2- 1.5 liter bottles, 1 liter for bubble counter, 6 feet of air line, a check valve, t connector and an airstone later, and I'm pumping some serious Co2 currently running at about 10 BPS when shaken, and about 6 BPS when left sitting.

Hoping after a full day running it starts to even itself out.

~George Orwell~

It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change.

~Charles Darwin~
Old 04-12-2013, 06:35 PM   #198
Blackheart
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)

Considering doing my 56 gallon column tank as a Crypt only tank. Lots of Crypt Wendtii, driftwood, and maybe a few select easy plants like Anubias, Java Ferns, moss balls, etc.

Only thing is I can't figure out how to get the algae off of the crypts. :/

not sure what route I should go, either, stocking wise. might just go with cherry shrimp. if I stock at all. playing with the idea of having a tank for plants only.

Last edited by Blackheart; 04-12-2013 at 09:02 PM.. Reason: ...
Blackheart is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-13-2013, 04:30 AM   #199
Maechael
Planted Tank Obsessed

If you do use them, and want to remove most types of Algae, Otocinclus, most shrimp, but especially amanos and some types of plecos would help you.

I've heard of using Hydrogen peroxide in, small localized doses.
Also with some types of Algae, just lightly rubbing with fingers.

Best of luck, it sounds like an awesome.

~George Orwell~

~Charles Darwin~
Old 04-13-2013, 06:00 AM   #200
Duckmasta
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackheart View Post
Considering doing my 56 gallon column tank as a Crypt only tank. Lots of Crypt Wendtii, driftwood, and maybe a few select easy plants like Anubias, Java Ferns, moss balls, etc.

Only thing is I can't figure out how to get the algae off of the crypts. :/

not sure what route I should go, either, stocking wise. might just go with cherry shrimp. if I stock at all. playing with the idea of having a tank for plants only.
If your plants arent replanted yet, make a mix of water/hydrogen peroxide. 1 tbs peroxide per 1 quart of water, dip the plants for about 30 seconds - couple minutes, it will kill the algae thru breaking the cell wall, but not be long enough to hurt the plants at all. I just did this with all my plants when i set up the 100g, as the plants/dw/equipment had cyanoalgae on them from the 30g i pulled them from. the algae dies off and the fish nibble on it til its gone.
Old 04-15-2013, 12:48 AM   #201
Blackheart
Wannabe Guru

thanks guys! and as for the algae, I removed a lot of the crypts, as there were so many of them. The algae that was on the remaining crypts, I just rubbed off with my fingers. I have no stock in the tank now other than 1 Amano Shrimp. And I'm not sure how I wanna stock it.

The only thing that worries me is I have to use water from the backyard hose, and it's quite cold. My tank is down to 64 right now I can feel crypt melt coming.... But we shall see.

I think I might add crypt Spiralis in the background, because being a 56 gallon column style, it's really tall and all there is in there is Crypt Wendtii, even though I like the look off it just like that. What should I do?

Last edited by Blackheart; 04-15-2013 at 12:51 AM.. Reason: ...
Old 04-15-2013, 01:14 AM   #202
BarbH
Planted Member

Default Re: Activity

Finally more progress on setting up my tank. Ordered my lights for the tank yesterday, Finnex Fugeray. I also placed an order for my plants, a large order from aquarium plants.com which I am planning on coming in this Friday.

Sent from my SCH-R720 using Tapatalk 2
BarbH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2013, 01:42 AM   #203
Maechael
Planted Tank Obsessed

Default The idea

Quote:
thanks guys! and as for the algae, I removed a lot of the crypts, as there were so many of them. The algae that was on the remaining crypts, I just rubbed off with my fingers. I have no stock in the tank now other than 1 Amano Shrimp. And I'm not sure how I wanna stock it.

The only thing that worries me is I have to use water from the backyard hose, and it's quite cold. My tank is down to 64 right now I can feel crypt melt coming.... But we shall see.

I think I might add crypt Spiralis in the background, because being a 56 gallon column style, it's really tall and all there is in there is Crypt Wendtii, even though I like the look off it just like that. What should I do?

If you want to have longer plants in the back, something like Spiralis would work, or corkscrew val, or jungle, italian. plenty of long background plants could work if you wanted, even some unconventional ones. I say make it a shrimp tank, with maybe some top level swimmers.

~George Orwell~

~Charles Darwin~
Old 04-15-2013, 02:01 AM   #204
Blackheart
Wannabe Guru

Well, I was thinking to either go with just Cherry Shrimp, or White Clouds. Or both.
Old 04-15-2013, 04:06 AM   #205
Maechael
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Well, I was thinking to either go with just Cherry Shrimp, or White Clouds. Or both.
Well there you go haha.

Do you keep larger fish, as in would these be feeder breeders?
Best of luck, and I hope it comes together well.

In my area of Activity, I'm looking into making/buying Drop Checkers to go along with DIY Co2, so I can use it in tanks that have more than just snails.

And I'm truly considering Removing some Larger fish from my ownership, since they don't look too happy as of late.
Considering running a 6 bottle DIYCo2 setup for multiple tanks, money comes it begins haha.

~George Orwell~

~Charles Darwin~
Old 04-15-2013, 05:13 AM   #206
Blackheart
Wannabe Guru

Ohh nope. I don't keep larger fish. This is the only tank I have set up. I just always loved White Clouds spectacular coloration.

And while your on that, I wouldn't mind setting up some kind of C02 system myself. But I'm not really a DIY kind a guy. so not sure what to do! good luck to you, though.

Last edited by Blackheart; 04-15-2013 at 05:16 AM.. Reason: ...
Old 04-15-2013, 07:25 AM   #207
Duckmasta
Algae Grower

Annoyed today. Only downfall of my 72" T5HO fixture from aquatraders.... i have to go to them to get the 57.5" bulbs it takes, and one of my 6500K burned out today (about 8 monthes old anyways).. looks like i get to make an order this weekend. At least the 2 10000K bulbs should keep plants goin for now until new ones arrive.
Old 04-15-2013, 09:07 PM   #208
Maechael
Planted Tank Obsessed

Black Heart, I could help, remotely with DIY Co2 if you'd like, best advice you'll get, don't use PVC hosing, or silicone, use silicone tubing and gorilla glue, then cover that with silicone for an extra bit of security. Had 2 breaches in my bottles already that I think I've resealed. My next attempt at this will involve more bottles, with less pressure per bottle, and a whole lot more check valves.

Duckmasta, have you checked out Menards? they have a large selection of Full tube Fluorescent set up, I think they have 8" through 12 foot bulbs on hand at the Clio one.
Best of luck though.

Oh and I have an interview for an actual career tomorrow, wish me luck.

~George Orwell~

~Charles Darwin~
Old 04-16-2013, 07:49 AM   #209
Duckmasta
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maechael View Post

Duckmasta, have you checked out Menards? they have a large selection of Full tube Fluorescent set up, I think they have 8" through 12 foot bulbs on hand at the Clio one.
Best of luck though.

Oh and I have an interview for an actual career tomorrow, wish me luck.

Good luck man! And Menards selection jumps from 46" -64" -72", all only T12 options, not T5HO as i need.
Old 04-17-2013, 12:27 AM   #210
Maechael
Planted Tank Obsessed

Ahh, sorry about that Duckmasta.

I've got great news for me though, I start my new career on the 6th of next month.
So excited for this.

Thinking that I'll start V2.0 DIY Co2 tomorrow night.
Thinking 6-2liter bottles, chained through each other, to a central 2-1 liter bubble checker to a gang valve setup.

~George Orwell~

~Charles Darwin~

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.