Activity - Page 12
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Local Pet Stores, Clubs, and Conventions > Michigan

Old 04-01-2013, 01:44 AM   #166
Maechael
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

and if they don't like to stay down, you can train them up if required.

for basically the same effect.

Best of luck Mate.

~George Orwell~

It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change.

~Charles Darwin~
Maechael is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2013, 10:41 PM   #167
Maechael
Planted Tank Obsessed

New stand is temporarily finalized. Hoping to build another sometime soon, to better specifications, preferably to hold some more 10 Gallons, ends out.

~George Orwell~

It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change.

~Charles Darwin~
Old 04-01-2013, 10:43 PM   #168
Maechael
Planted Tank Obsessed

Let me know what you folks think, open to a lot of input.
Thinking the stand as is could hold another tank, or 2.

~George Orwell~

~Charles Darwin~
Old 04-01-2013, 10:59 PM   #169
seuadr
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)

simple and functional. i like it. you could fit a pretty big tank on those shelves, too if you wanted to.
seuadr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 11:46 PM   #170
Maechael
Planted Tank Obsessed

As is, I wouldn't trust much more weight than maybe, maybe 3 10 gallons on bottom and 2 on top.

It's not reinforced in the center, just a box frame with 1/2 inch plywood sitting on top.

Next stand will be 2x4 box frame, with 6 vertical supports and 3/4 inch plywood that will be nailed down.

~George Orwell~

~Charles Darwin~
Old 04-02-2013, 01:05 PM   #171
GMYukonon24s
Planted Tank Guru

As seuadr stated simple and functional, I like the stand as well. What did you use to hang the light?

MIAPG - Come join us - Plantedtank - MI - Greatlakesaquaria
GMYukonon24s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 05:03 PM   #172
lullafishi
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (7/100%)

I got my built-by-a-carpenter-friend custom stand yesterday! I didn't have time to take a photo, but I'll see if I can tonight. And I've got another friend (who works at a sign shop) coming over this week to apply black vinyl to the back of the tank for me.

I was also able to take advantage of a really nice weekend and spray paint my Eheim intake and spray bar with Plasti-Dip. It took more coats than I thought it would, and even with frequent shaking the paint came out more as a spray of large droplets than fine mist. Seems to have worked well though, and although it's not a super flat/even surface, you really can't see the texture unless you're up close. I'm calling it a success.

Now I need to acquire some driftwood/rocks for the hardscape, read up on fishless cycling, and put together a 10 or 15 gallon QT.

Anyone local have any spare parts suitable for a quarantine tank?
lullafishi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 07:54 PM   #173
Maechael
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMYukonon24s View Post
As seuadr stated simple and functional, I like the stand as well. What did you use to hang the light?

I used nylon rope, or rather twine I guess to suspend it from some finishing nails on the side of the stand.

I plan on having an addition later on, of a 2x4 mini shelf, to suspend an upper light from for the top tanks.

Would love to have a stand built for about 10 10 gallons in the not too distant future.

Also, With any luck I'll be working in a machine shop this time come two weeks. Whoo-hoo!

~George Orwell~

~Charles Darwin~
Old 04-02-2013, 11:06 PM   #174
GMYukonon24s
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by lullafishi View Post
I got my built-by-a-carpenter-friend custom stand yesterday! I didn't have time to take a photo, but I'll see if I can tonight. And I've got another friend (who works at a sign shop) coming over this week to apply black vinyl to the back of the tank for me.

I was also able to take advantage of a really nice weekend and spray paint my Eheim intake and spray bar with Plasti-Dip. It took more coats than I thought it would, and even with frequent shaking the paint came out more as a spray of large droplets than fine mist. Seems to have worked well though, and although it's not a super flat/even surface, you really can't see the texture unless you're up close. I'm calling it a success.

Now I need to acquire some driftwood/rocks for the hardscape, read up on fishless cycling, and put together a 10 or 15 gallon QT.

Anyone local have any spare parts suitable for a quarantine tank?
I can't wait to see what your stand looks like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maechael View Post
I used nylon rope, or rather twine I guess to suspend it from some finishing nails on the side of the stand.

I plan on having an addition later on, of a 2x4 mini shelf, to suspend an upper light from for the top tanks.

Would love to have a stand built for about 10 10 gallons in the not too distant future.

Also, With any luck I'll be working in a machine shop this time come two weeks. Whoo-hoo!
What would you put in 10 - 10 gallons? Good luck on the work.

MIAPG - Come join us - Plantedtank - MI - Greatlakesaquaria
GMYukonon24s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 01:51 AM   #175
Maechael
Planted Tank Obsessed

Thanks GM and I would use it as a growout/quarantine setup for plants.

And maybe 4 tanks for shrimp hehe.

I love the idea of suspending 2 dual bulb T5 setups over a row of 10, 10 gallons.
and just the endless possibilities presented by it.

Been thinking about selling plants for some time, since it seems people are more interested in finding the right plants for their tanks. At least around here haha.

Imagine, 10 tanks filled with Rotala, cryptocorynes, ludwigia, and DWL to start out?

~George Orwell~

~Charles Darwin~
Old 04-05-2013, 05:05 AM   #176
Maechael
Planted Tank Obsessed

Current update for the Stand in previous pics, bottom shelf, Same.
Top shelf currently holding empty 10 Gallon, 3- 1.5 ish Jars, with Plants a 1 gallon and 2 gallon critter keeper, 1 gallon with rotala rotundifolia, or indica not sure.
2 gallon has What I believe to be Crypt parva and the same rotala as the others.

All lit by a single 13 watt CFL lamp in the middle, no algae yet expecting some in near future though.

Thinking of putting a Betta in the larger Critter keeper, once plant mass is at a nice point.

~George Orwell~

~Charles Darwin~
Old 04-05-2013, 07:25 PM   #177
lullafishi
Planted Tank Obsessed

Finally got around to taking a photo of my new birch wood stand! I was aiming for a more mid-century inspired/modern look, which is hard without being able to use thin/pin legs, haha. I'm still debating if I want to stain the doors or not. I like the contrast for now.

It's built by a friend-of-the-family carpenter, who was kind enough to include adjustable shelves and a pull out drawer.

Old 04-05-2013, 07:45 PM   #178
Mumford
Planted Tank Obsessed

Default Activity

Quote:
Originally Posted by lullafishi View Post
Finally got around to taking a photo of my new birch wood stand! I was aiming for a more mid-century inspired/modern look, which is hard without being able to use thin/pin legs, haha. I'm still debating if I want to stain the doors or not. I like the contrast for now.

It's built by a friend-of-the-family carpenter, who was kind enough to include adjustable shelves and a pull out drawer.

I want one! Pm me his email if he's looking for extra cash

- Mumford

20 Gallon Long - Work in Progress
Mumford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 08:08 PM   #179
lullafishi
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumford View Post
I want one! Pm me his email if he's looking for extra cash
He's my sister-in-law's grandfather, and unfortunately I'm pretty sure he doesn't really know how to use e-mail. He's retired and loves to stay active by building things, so I could ask him if he's interested in taking on another aquarium stand if you'd like!

Something to note is that although he knows how to build solid furniture, he's not as good as he once was when it comes to little cosmetic details. Mine has a few areas where the stain dripped and wasn't smoothed back out and a few other minor cosmetic things, but you don't really notice unless you're looking for them.
Old 04-05-2013, 08:22 PM   #180
Maechael
Planted Tank Obsessed

That is a very nice looking stand setup. I'd keep the contrast with the doors/panels.
But you could always clear coat it, making sure water damage isn't a concern for a longer time.

Is it made out of 3/4 plywood by chance? Or is that a plank and I'm just imagining things?

~George Orwell~

~Charles Darwin~