YO- I just found a baby shrimp
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 02-14-2013, 05:29 AM   #1
Cynical Fish Guy
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Smile

YO- I just found a baby shrimp

I have a very heavily planted tank 15 US gal, long: complete with schools of adult H Rasboras, Neon Tetras, with a dwarf sunset gourami, 3 corydoras trillineatus, an adult mystery snail, and what i believed to be between 5-7 ghost shrimp. I've got at least 4 female adults and 1 or two male adults. It is extremely common for me to spy berried ghost shrimp....

While playing with my flashlight tonight, I spied a 1cm ghost shrimp. He looked exactly like a miniature adult.... The shrimp somehow successfully bred in my tank. I have only spied 1 small offspring, and I have had many ghost shrimp over the past year..

I feed my tank brine shrimp somewhat frequently.... How did a young ghost shrimp survive in a tank like mine? It is preposterous. I don't use a filter (with a filter in it) because brown algae keeps clogging it.... I use it for water current. My plants filter the water anyway

My question: How do I have a young ghost shrimp in my tank?-- The screwball beat the odds.... I'm still amazed. Now I have no idea how many shrimp I actually have...or may have killed with my water change 2 days ago... I didn't see any shrimp though--the small guy looked happy playing in a algae field in the tank.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2013, 05:34 AM   #2
Cynical Fish Guy
Planted Member

I have not added shrimp to the tank in at least 6 months, and I never owned/bought a shrimp as small as this one is....for this particular tank. The shrimp may still make the menu, if spotted by a starving dwarf gourami, other than that he is too big for the other fish I think, and the adult shrimp leave the lil guy alone. I watched the encounter between the young shrimp and an adult shrimp.-- I never added routifers or anything to the tank either. Baby brine shrimp on an infrequent basis.... Lots of them at a time though.
Old 02-15-2013, 04:05 AM   #3
Cynical Fish Guy
Planted Member

Has anyone else found breeding ghost shrimp in there tank? I only ever expected berries... I think I may have two generations of survivors. At least 1 little guy is confirmed. The ghost shrimp found away to survive the larva stage somehow in my tank.....
Old 02-15-2013, 04:58 AM   #4
wicca27
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to wicca27

shrimp can make it some times they hide in the gravel untill bigger. and with it a ghost shrimp its clear so fish might not see it that small to eat it. there are several types of shrimp that are called "ghost" shrimp. and some do breed in fresh water
wicca27 is offline   Reply With Quote