Why not Peru all the time, you ask
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Sponsors > Invertebrates by Msjinkzd

Old 02-21-2013, 02:42 PM   #1
msjinkzd
Rachel O'Leary

PTrader: (205/100%)
Send a message via AIM to msjinkzd

Why not Peru all the time, you ask

http://msjinkzd.com/news/why-doesnt-...inclus-cocama/

Why doesn’t she have fish from Peru all the time? We want Otocinclus cocama!

I have been overloaded with requests for the fish that I have recently brought in from Peru and wanted to take a minute to explain why they are not available all the time, at least from my shop.

There are several factors which play into the export of fish from Peru. First, I have to find someone reliable to send me the fish that I order- this is easier said than done! Second, freight is VERY expensive, more than double that of many other South American countries. Because of this, doing a large order is financially very, very difficult for me. Thirdly, the majority of fish which are exported come out of Iquitos, in the Northern part of Peru, which has a unique climate.
Name:  peru_map.jpg
Views: 365
Size:  13.5 KB

Iquitos experiences a noticeable wet season, which arrives in November and ends in May, with March and April tending to feature the wettest weather, seeing precipitation levels of around 12 inches. In May, Iquitos sees the Amazon River reach its highest levels, steadily dropping some 30 feet or 40 feet to its lowest point in October, and then rising steadily thereafter.

Name:  peru water.gif
Views: 372
Size:  12.5 KB

Because of this, most of the tiny fish that I am interested in can only be collected and exported in a very narrow window, during the late summer and fall.

So, despite me wishing I could have these amazing critters ALL the time, this is only possible if a company had the foresight to stockpile a bunch and then offer them for sale throughout the rest of the year, which also results in way inflated pricing.

And that, in a nut shell, is my explanation of why I have those fish only in certain parts of the year.
msjinkzd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2013, 07:46 PM   #2
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (441/100%)

Admittedly, this does nothing to quell my thirst for fancy Peruvian fish. But it certainly is interesting to read!

A perfect reminder that this hobby is dependent upon nature and an even more perfect reminder that we're at the whims of weather when it comes to shipping.
somewhatshocked is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2013, 09:07 PM   #3
msjinkzd
Rachel O'Leary

PTrader: (205/100%)
Send a message via AIM to msjinkzd

Tell me about it, wish I could get them all year round, but figured this would help explain, at least a little bit, why they are 1. so expensive 2. so uncommonly available.
msjinkzd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2013, 09:26 PM   #4
mistergreen
No more Bow ties

PTrader: (13/100%)

We wouldn't want them harvested year round. The species would be wiped out if that was the case.
mistergreen is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2013, 01:43 AM   #5
PRSRocker3390
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (39/100%)

Great post about the Peru importing and rain, I'm glad you shared that! I agree, I love the fish from Peru that you get in but I would never want them to be over harvested.
Algae Supporter #1 (BBA) - Rena Filstar #150 (XP3/XP2)
PRSRocker3390 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2013, 03:11 AM   #6
laqu
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)

i understand but love my Parotocinclus peru so much that i would love more... i'll have to wait i guess.
1 betta

Here they are http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/al...p?albumid=9625

6 gallon journal
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...208&highlight=

you can see more photos here the 4 8" cubes are on flicker... will get to their journal at some point (they are fun as they change often)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/laq/

webdesign: www.littleowlwebdesign.com
laqu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.