Wellbiz(jason's) Journal. Updated Pics 5-10-04
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 09-17-2003, 03:13 PM   #1
wellbiz
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

Hear are a few pics of my 120g.... Please excuse the extreamly poor photography skills.....

Jason
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-17-2003, 04:10 PM   #2
wellbiz
Wannabe Guru

Here are a few pics of the DIY stand I made.....
Old 09-17-2003, 04:33 PM   #3
don
Algae Grower

Send a message via ICQ to don Send a message via AIM to don Send a message via Yahoo to don

I really like your tank .. the light colored sand reminds me of my local lakes.
don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2003, 04:36 PM   #4
GulfCoastAquarian
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (6/100%)
Send a message via ICQ to GulfCoastAquarian Send a message via Yahoo to GulfCoastAquarian

Impressive setup! Great job on the stand. Keep us posted as the tank grows in and matures!
Old 09-17-2003, 10:54 PM   #5
wellbiz
Wannabe Guru

Thanks for the kind words ...

The tank is a great joy. I will try to get a few more pics posted soon....

I would love some suggestions for upgrades, fish, or plant selection
I am still pretty new to the whole aquascaping thing. However been keeping fish sense I could walk(@28years)...

Right now the tank has 6 lemon tetras(thinking maybe adding a big school of rumynose tetras for the schooling effect), sissor tails, two rubber lipped plecos, two otos, 4 corys, few ghost shrimp... I have 2 more corys and a pair of Kribs who are in QT for a few more days....

Jason
Old 09-18-2003, 12:13 AM   #6
Guttboy
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Guttboy

WTG Well biz!

Great tank! I like the sand....I am running sand, kitty litter, and peat in my 10 gallon....I picked up the 15 gallon and have (right now) 100% Schultz aquatic plant soil in it. I will most likely put sand in with that.

Mike

10 Gallon...20 Endler's live bearers planted, peat/kitty litter/sand substrate

15 Gallon...Just Schultz Aquatic Plant soil
Guttboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2003, 12:17 AM   #7
Buck
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (3/100%)

Love the sandy look... as far as plants and fish go, I will leave that up to you.

However if you ask me about structure, that tank is beggin for some stone. A nice light colored ledge through it to give some contrast to the plants. As the plants mature and grow over it , the tank would resemble a pool in a stream.

Take care not to let the sand compact with time, I use a 1/4" dowel wittled down to a point to agitate my sand now and again... not aggressively, just enough to "fluff it" and also be sure to remember where the fert tabs or plant spikes have been added so as not to bring them to the surface.

Very nice look to the tank, when the plants mature and fill out it will be an awesome home for your fish

Buck 8)
Old 09-18-2003, 03:40 AM   #8
wellbiz
Wannabe Guru

Mike,Buck,

Thanks guys.... That is actually a sand/flourite mix... Flourite on bottom covered with sand... This is the first time I have used sand, and so far so good. As you can see by the Pic's my cory's love it....

Buck, I agree, there needs to be some rock work. I just havent found the right stuff yet... Everything around hear(michigan) is river rock or field stone worn smooth by all the water and that pesky Ice age :shock: .. No good sharp angular stuff except in the U.P. and that is too far a drive :cry: ... The LFS's only sell slate or saltwater setup rock...

Thanks for the sand tip.... I will keep an eye on things and remember to do as you instructed

Thanks, I will post some more pics tomorrow
Jason
Old 09-18-2003, 03:04 PM   #9
Gwinna
Algae Grower

Send a message via AIM to Gwinna

I got a lot of my rock from the local landscape supply store. They have an amazing variety, and around here it's usually $0.15 a pound, instead of petstores where it's $7 a pound! I'm not talking about the chain stores, it's the little independent stores that sell supplies for making a patio, or a retaining wall. Good luck
125 gallon planted community of white clouds, gouramis, dojo loaches and a pleco. 55 gallon angel tank that the pleco won't let me plant. 30 gallon surprise pacu, who also won't let me plant. 30 gallon hex livebearers, moderately planted.
Gwinna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2003, 04:36 PM   #10
wellbiz
Wannabe Guru

Gwinna,

Thanks, I will be hitting a few places this weekend to see what I can find...

Here are a few more pics....
Old 09-25-2003, 01:45 AM   #11
wellbiz
Wannabe Guru

It has been a sad week for the tank. :cry: I introduced my beloved kribs from QT.

Everything was fine, the two were fighting somewhat establishing there territory, but nothing major. The wife and I went to dinner and a movie, when we got back, The bigger of the two was belly up on the surface of the water. To my suprise his corpse was not to beat up... I can only assume the stress of switching tanks and the territorial battle was more than he could handle....

The water tested fine, heck I even did a small change of 20% the day before. There have been no other losses and everyone in the tank is doing great. I even compared water values from the QT to the new one and they were almost a mirror image...

Just one of those things that can be frustrating about the hobby on occasion... I will try to post some more pics by the weekend, my plants are going crazy.... :?

Still havent found any suitable rock, most stores in my area and putting away the landscaping supplys for the winter... :x

Jason
Old 09-25-2003, 01:55 AM   #12
Guttboy
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Guttboy

Jason....man I am sorry to hear that.....take care

Mike

10 Gallon...20 Endler's live bearers planted, peat/kitty litter/sand substrate

15 Gallon...Just Schultz Aquatic Plant soil
Guttboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2003, 02:41 AM   #13
wellbiz
Wannabe Guru

Mike,

Thanks for the kind words...

It is never that pesky snail or your least favorite fish... Always the one you are proud of... Same goes for plants to... Never the hornwort, always the glosso....

But that is what makes this hobby interesting. I learn everyday... Now I have a huge choice of what fish to replace him with.... :shock:

Jason
Old 09-26-2003, 04:21 AM   #14
fishpoop
Planted Member

Send a message via AIM to fishpoop

yea it's always the best fish/plant that die!
fishpoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2003, 09:35 PM   #15
aeternum23
Planted Tank Obsessed

Wellbiz, good looking tank. Can you tell me if the stand is empty underneath, i.e. no center brace or dividers?
aeternum23 is offline   Reply With Quote