large project discussion
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion > Riparium/Terrarium/Vivarium

Old 12-22-2005, 01:00 AM   #1
eusair
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

large project discussion

a little introduction: i have a tank and a goal which includes fish, lizard(s), waterfall(s), stream, water and land plants, etc. getting to this goal is going to take a great deal of time because i've never done this before. what i have is desire, creativity, ingenuity, and a propensity toward the extreme. what i intend to do here is spill it all out and see what kind of responses i receive.

i acquired the tank a while ago. dimensions 48"L x 13"W x 18"H with 1/4" thick glass. currently, it is in pieces because the bottom glass was broken and the silicone job was terrible. i am picking up the bottom piece of glass tomorrow.

reconstruction should be pretty easy for me, since i still have the cheap plastic aquarium base (nothing on the top, although i did buy a screen that fits). will be tracking down GE window & door silicone. but before i do, i am seriously considering putting bulkheads in the bottom. if i do, i'll have to build a stand, which is fine. it would be purely functional and not aestetically pleasing. but this tank doesn't deserve anything great. it is mostly just for learning purposes.

the other day, i purchased this RO filter system. a very good deal, imo. a must considering i have very hard water. in fact, if i boil a pot of water long enough, i will end up with a film on the edges of the pot that i can peal off. i can't wait to cook with the RO water instead.

i'm thinking that it would be good to have a pressurized storage tank, but haven't decided yet. you see, i want to set up a misting system using an inline pump. hopefully the same pump as i use for the RO system. if possible, i would like to split the tube that goes to the waterfall and regulate the misting system via a solenoid valve. this could decrease the flow of the waterfall while misting, but i think it will be minimal, given the right pump. if i had a tank, i could use the pressure from it to run the misting system if i had to.

i was thinking of having a couple of outlets in the aquarium tank bottom that would converge with each other, then pass through the pump. after this, i was thinking of splitting the tube and sending half (valve?) the water straight back in via an inlet hole to the waterfall. the rest would go through the RO filter, then either to the same waterfall (if space is limited) or another waterfall, passing by the tank? and misting along the way, as stated above.

the lighting i am hoping to use is a 1000W HPS full spectrum grow light on a 6ft track. that's right, i have an entire room devoted to plants (mostly cacti and succulents). if i have to, i could get some kind of tube lighting to supplement, but i doubt i will need to (i may actually have to shade the tank!). what i will definately have to do is mist Often and add a gallon or 2 of water every few days. hmm. where do i add that water? straight in to the tank? that doesn't sound good to me.

i should probably stop for now. i can get long winded when writing and i have so much more i could say!

please respond with any and all of your thoughts. i need everything i can get.

thank you so much

nicholas
eusair is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2006, 05:42 PM   #2
eusair
Algae Grower

hmm. i must be insane and nobody wants to tell me.
Old 01-02-2006, 12:54 AM   #3
Khamul1of9
Algae Grower

I would comment, but its way beyond my skills. I have not the authority to say yea, or nay.

Sorry.
Khamul1of9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2006, 02:08 AM   #4
A Hill
Sponsor

PTrader: (90/100%)
Send a message via AIM to A Hill
Talking

so from what i read it looks like you have the standard 55g? like one i have... i really hate to burst ur buble but that isnt a HUGE tank it may look it but it really isnt... i have how it isnt deep enough for things like this.. custom made tanks are much better for this type of thing... and i believe you said that replacing the bottom would be no prob but why bother you could make a custom tank.. and ideal size tank to me for something like this would be... 5'x3'deepx 3-4 feet high so you could look right in and it could sit on the floor and it would have a "pond" then you could attatch lots of plants and stuff on the sides going up and maybe make a water fall going ALL the way down! im sure some poison part frogs would LOVE something like this along with shrimp they should be ok even some white clouds i think might do good!

the main problem with ur demensions is that its got no depth thats why i hate the demensions on mine so bad...

my 2 cents...
fish newb

now if you wanted to go SMALLER you could easily make something cool especially if the water was like half of it and the land was on teh other half that would give you alot more to work with.....

some more ideas....

also check out blackjungle! they have lots of stuff for terariums!
A Hill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2006, 01:21 AM   #5
eusair
Algae Grower

i don't like the size/shape of the tank either. i'm am just going to use this one to learn on. i can use all the equipment on a bigger tank later; and believe me, i want to go bigger

my original plan was to cut it in half and do the waterfall in the middle. actually, i don't have much of a landscape plan, atm. as you said, it is difficult with so little depth. i readily admit that i can't do all that i desire and still make it look good in this tank. but this is all about gaining experience.

i was thinking about making underwater caverns in order to increase land area. not sure how yet. animals aren't top on the list. i'm more of a plant guy. i plan to get some of the smallest plants available for planted tanks.

i decided that i shouldn't devote my RO unit entirely to this aquarium. instead, i am going to install it under the sink and put the RO water into a reservoir. i wonder if i can still use just one pump for the misting system and the flowing water?

it is time to drill some holes in the bottom glass. i want to get that done before i put the tank back together. so i suppose i need to decide on a basic landscape design. should i have 2 drain holes? how big should they be? i want good underwater circulation. time to do a forum search.
Old 01-03-2006, 01:41 AM   #6
A Hill
Sponsor

PTrader: (90/100%)
Send a message via AIM to A Hill

for the best scape layout i would do something like this...... here is your tank

{___}

here is it devided with half water half land

{__/'''''''}

just the idea for how it would look... the demensions and scale arent right...

fish newb
A Hill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.