My bowl attempt (NOW WITH INHABITANT) (THAT NOW LAID EGGS) - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Planted Nano Tanks

Old 02-18-2013, 01:44 AM   #16
LyzzaRyzz
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (16/100%)

I have the same bowl with java moss in it...I would try even less rocks, what your planning doesnt really need much substrate, and the less rocks, the more water!

LyzzaRyzz's Tanks and More! - http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=226122
LyzzaRyzz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2013, 09:20 PM   #17
tmcpherson301
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

So, some bits of ends of my moss looks like they either have white looking worms on them or are turning whiteish themselves (looks more like the 2nd to me), does anyone have any idea of what this is?

More Fun in a 2.5: http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=481674
tmcpherson301 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2013, 06:28 AM   #18
Koi Kameon
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)
Default Horned nerites!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanzzzz View Post
Snail should be fine,
They are small, barely more than a half inch and colorful. My favorite is the bumblebee nerite--you guessed it--black and gold swirls. The larger nerites put out a lot of waste for such a small bowl. The horned nerites don't. Plus, nerites do not successfully breed in fresh water so you don't need to worry about being swamped with snails.

I have been very happy with my nerites from a guy on ebay, if you want info. Not so happy with other dealers and a dealer on this website. PM me if you want the name of the ebay guy.

Koi
Koi Kameon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2013, 10:44 PM   #19
tmcpherson301
Algae Grower

So my generic whatever snail it is that people said I had laid eggs, I'm wondering though, do these need a second snail to fertalize? Or will I soon be covered in these snails? Lastly do I need to take any special care to keep them alive? They are currently just below the water line.

Old 02-26-2013, 10:15 PM   #20
tmcpherson301
Algae Grower

bump cause id like to know something about these eggs, specially the hatch time, oh and i named the snail skittles

Old 02-27-2013, 08:56 PM   #21
Knotyoureality
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)

These little critters are hermaphrodites--and no doubt yours had access to a partner before going in the bowl.

Hatching generally happens in 10-20 days, success depends on a tons of factors. No special care needed other than making sure they stay wet. They'll be readily visible on the glass and easy to remove if you start getting too many.

While large tanks often seen population explosions due to the amount of food naturally available in the way of decaying plant material, bio-film, etc. these sort of micro tanks typically balance out from any population boom very quickly. Indeed, under conditions of minimal to zero additional feeding being done (or high competition from other life in the bowl) adult pond snails will lay less and even eat their own egg masses, greatly diminishing the rate of reproduction.
Knotyoureality is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.