100 gallon PLANTED Eartheater tank! - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 02-13-2013, 07:24 PM   #16
Adri.
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf19 View Post
Do you know if the red tailed shark does well with any smaller schooling fish?
Well...I do have 3 Odessa Barbs in the tank right now, as a temporary thing. Long story as to why there's only 3. She leaves them alone. However if it were me, I would not risk putting her in with a tank of small fish. She is a horribly vicious little thing. Today I watched her attack one of the smaller Eartheaters (about 4.5"? Maybe bigger...) she chased him around the tank as fast as she could until he was forced to go hide underneath the output of the fx5, inside the tall Wisteria. That doesn't happen too often, but it still does happen every now and then...When she was a little baby I had her in a 35 gallon, and she was so territorial that she killed 2 Mollys. And she's only gotten meaner since then, but the big tank has helped a lot. Still though, even in 100 gallons she's very territorial.
I guess it's possible that I just got an overly aggressive one. But personally I wouldn't risk putting one with small fish. However I'd be interested in what other people have experienced with these fish, I wonder if they're all as mean as mine.

She is so pretty, pictures just don't do her justice.
Adri. is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-13-2013, 07:33 PM   #17
im2smart4u
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Do you know if the red tailed shark does well with any smaller schooling fish?
A lot of people have had trouble with the red tailed sharks being aggressive, especially when they get older. I had one in a 29 gallon tank several years ago with platties, sword tails, and a betta, though, and never had any problems. It depends on the temperament of the individual fish.
im2smart4u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2013, 08:10 PM   #18
Adri.
Planted Member

So after I did all that, I finally got around to ordering my first bunch of plants from my LFS. If I remember correctly it is Crypt Spiralis, another kind of Crypt, and Jungle Val. One of each, but I'm going to be adding more. I also took a Narrow Leaf & Windelov Java Fern out of my other tanks, plus some plant that I got from Petsmart a couple months back. I have absolutely no idea what it is, but it's pretty. We'll see how much of the brown/red/pink color it retains after being in this tank for a while.

Tying a crypt to eggcrate...Any idea what kind it is? Would it be Wendtii "Green"? I have no idea.

Thanks goodness I had my little helper with me. Without her herding this plant, it might have grown legs and ran away! But as long as Nelly's watching them, I can be sure it isn't going anywhere!!

She also keeps a watchful eye on the fish at my favorite LFS. Everyone there gets a kick outta her, it's not often that you see a Border Collie attempting to herd fish. Or, last time, it was a slow-moving snail that kept her captivated for probably 10 minutes or more.

Anyways, after I adding the plants I also put in the 8 Angelfish from one of the tanks that's being torn down. There are 3 Odessa Barbs(temporary), and a Platy.

Can anybody ID this plant? I got it from Petsmart a couple months ago. In my other tank it's much taller with a lot of small leaves, instead of short with thick, dark leaves in this tank.

Old 02-13-2013, 08:10 PM   #19
Wolf19
Planted Member

The fish is so striking I want to develop my choice of other fish around it. Reading has so far suggested an aggresive fish. A tip on another website suggested placing the red-tailed black shark in as a last addition that way you prevent the rts from claiming territory over the entire tank. Along with the simple tips of avoiding similar looking fish, same genus, but to rather match it with a moderate aggresive fish that is more robust (some websites have suggested a variation of the barb)

It will be trial and error! I'm so far out from even having any fish (currently in week 2 of my dry start), will likely have my first fill of water during the last week of march, then planning to just focus on the plant growth and stabilize that system before slowly adding fish. IF I make the choice to add the red-tailed black shark in - it will be a final addition to the piece. Until then, I'll keep the learning up! Thanks for the advice.
Wolf19 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2013, 08:19 PM   #20
Adri.
Planted Member

Quote:
The fish is so striking I want to develop my choice of other fish around it. Reading has so far suggested an aggresive fish. A tip on another website suggested placing the red-tailed black shark in as a last addition that way you prevent the rts from claiming territory over the entire tank. Along with the simple tips of avoiding similar looking fish, same genus, but to rather match it with a moderate aggresive fish that is more robust (some websites have suggested a variation of the barb)

It will be trial and error! I'm so far out from even having any fish (currently in week 2 of my dry start), will likely have my first fill of water during the last week of march, then planning to just focus on the plant growth and stabilize that system before slowly adding fish. IF I make the choice to add the red-tailed black shark in - it will be a final addition to the piece. Until then, I'll keep the learning up! Thanks for the advice.
How big is your tank?
Old 02-13-2013, 09:42 PM   #21
lotuslullaby
Algae Grower

Default Nice Tank

The tank looks really nice!! Other people have posted about braiding nylon ropes with plants in it ( mostly types of moss ), I wondered if that would work since it doesn't need the substrate. Maybe the Angels would enjoy the rope if they like the upper levels of the tank.
My sister had a red tailed shark in her tank and it was incredibly aggressive and would pick on the other fish, though I do not recall if it actually killed the fish. If you have a quarantine tank you might want to be prepared to remove the red tail have a small basket to cover him with upon introduction into the tank, until you see how he is going to be with the other fish.
lotuslullaby is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2013, 10:06 PM   #22
Wolf19
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adri. View Post
How big is your tank?
75G. Will start a journal monday - I'll PM you a link when it's up.
Old 02-14-2013, 12:59 AM   #23
switch26
Algae Grower

The plant you are trying to identify is Alternatha Reiineckii(sp?) At least im pretty sure.. I have it in my plant, and it looks the same, except mine is under different conditions and has a little different colors. The bottom of the leaves are pink as well.
switch26 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2013, 02:36 AM   #24
Adri.
Planted Member

Quote:
75G. Will start a journal monday - I'll PM you a link when it's up.
Cool! Don't forget!

Quote:
Originally Posted by switch26 View Post
The plant you are trying to identify is Alternatha Reiineckii(sp?) At least im pretty sure.. I have it in my plant, and it looks the same, except mine is under different conditions and has a little different colors. The bottom of the leaves are pink as well.
I think that's the one. Thanks! Next time I'm at Petsmart I'll double check.
Old 02-14-2013, 02:47 AM   #25
Adri.
Planted Member

New video! Since the last video, the following had been added:

Several plants,
Rocks!! Collected at the creek behind my house.
3 Odessa Barbs. They are not permanent residents.
1 Platy
8 Angels

The fx5 was moved to the left side of the tank, where I have a few feet between the tank and my wall. I'm going to put a tall table over it so that it can't be seen. It doesn't fit in the stand under my tank!

This video was taken right after feeding time. Constructive criticism is welcome!
I should be picking up more plants tomorrow, by the way. We'll see if my LFS gets in the ones that I want.

Old 02-14-2013, 02:54 AM   #26
drewsuf82
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (46/100%)

Such an interesting journal! Subbed....

BTW awesome dog!!!
drewsuf82 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2013, 02:54 AM   #27
Wolf19
Planted Member

I could watch your tank for a long time. Nice plant additions.
Old 02-14-2013, 03:42 AM   #28
Meganne
Planted Tank Obsessed

love your Geos.
your tank is similar to mine, but I have stayed with plants on the drift wood. I have had a time finding eartheaters, was hoping for Geophaygus Tapajos as they are smaller but stumbled on a heckli(sp?) locally. now I need another, I love this fish.
I had a couple angels in my tank but the geo kept them herded in the upper corner by the filter outlet, I am thinking another geo in the tank will help keep the one I have distracted as I see yours don't bother with your angels at all.
I also have rainbows and headlight tetras in this tank.
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...412&highlight=
Old 02-14-2013, 03:45 AM   #29
Adri.
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewsuf82 View Post
Such an interesting journal! Subbed....

BTW awesome dog!!!
Thank you!
She's great. She's my main photography subject. Contrary to what the pictures I've posted so far suggest, my pictures don't ALL suck! Lol!

Sorry. Not fish related, I know...But I have very little self-restraint when it comes to sharing pictures of my dog. Your fault! You brought it up!

Quote:
I could watch your tank for a long time. Nice plant additions.
Thanks! Hopefully tomorrow my LFS will have the plants I ordered so I can post another update in a few days!
When I started this hobby I never thought I'd end up being excited about plants, of all things! But here I am less than a year later....
Old 02-14-2013, 03:51 AM   #30
Adri.
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meganne View Post
love your Geos.
your tank is similar to mine, but I have stayed with plants on the drift wood. I have had a time finding eartheaters, was hoping for Geophaygus Tapajos as they are smaller but stumbled on a heckli(sp?) locally. now I need another, I love this fish.
I had a couple angels in my tank but the geo kept them herded in the upper corner by the filter outlet, I am thinking another geo in the tank will help keep the one I have distracted as I see yours don't bother with your angels at all.
I also have rainbows and headlight tetras in this tank.
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...412&highlight=
Yes, I do think it's the group that keeps them from harassing the other fish. I can count on one hand the number of times that I've one chase after a fish that wasn't another Geo...And that was all just a quick dart towards them during feeding time.
As you can see in the video they do harass each other quite a bit, but not to the point where it's a problem. All of them, EXCEPT for the dominant male(or female) have slightly tattered up back fins from picking on each other. Nobody messes with the dominant fish so he has perfect fins.

Here's a decent iPhone picture of him/her.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.