Lighting for 30 gallon?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Lighting


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2013, 06:04 AM   #1
Ashnic05
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
Ashnic05's Avatar
 
PTrader: (1/100%)
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 497
Question

Lighting for 30 gallon?


Want to know what lighting I would need to get high light for my 30g. Dimensions: 36" L x 18" H x 12" D. I was previously told to get 2 bulb T5HO for moderate light, so would I need 3 bulbs to get high? I plan on doing DIY CO2 also. Thanks in advance!
__________________
“Alive without breath,
As cold as death;
Never thirsty, ever drinking,
All in mail never clinking.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien

FINNEX CLUB MEMBER!

Last edited by Ashnic05; 02-12-2013 at 06:06 AM.. Reason: .
Ashnic05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 02-12-2013, 08:32 AM   #2
dtang21
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (5/100%)
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 29
Default

Take a look at this thread: http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=184368

Scroll down to the chart that's titled "PAR vs Distance for Various T5 Lighting Fixtures." That should help narrow down the list for ya.
dtang21 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 08:37 AM   #3
Ashnic05
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
Ashnic05's Avatar
 
PTrader: (1/100%)
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 497
Default

I have that thread bookmarked but thank you! I've also previously talked to Hoppy about low light but realize now that many of the plants I want need medium to high light. The charts kind of confuse me but read another thread posted tonight and saw many recommended the finnex ray 2, which I think I'll try. Thanks for your input!
__________________
“Alive without breath,
As cold as death;
Never thirsty, ever drinking,
All in mail never clinking.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien

FINNEX CLUB MEMBER!
Ashnic05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 04:15 PM   #4
Sluuuder
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
Sluuuder's Avatar
 
PTrader: (8/100%)
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Lexington,NC
Posts: 307
Default

I have a 30 gallon and I'm going to go with the finnex II. http://www.aquavibrant.com/finnex-ra...ual-7000k.html

That's what everyone told me would be the best option. It should be enough for medium to high light plants. It grows dwarf baby tears very well from what everyone has said.
__________________

Selling Red Cherry Shrimp! Message for details!!!
Sluuuder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 07:41 PM   #5
Ashnic05
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
Ashnic05's Avatar
 
PTrader: (1/100%)
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 497
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sluuuder View Post
I have a 30 gallon and I'm going to go with the finnex II. http://www.aquavibrant.com/finnex-ra...ual-7000k.html

That's what everyone told me would be the best option. It should be enough for medium to high light plants. It grows dwarf baby tears very well from what everyone has said.
The post I mentioned previously was actually yours, so thank you for you input Sounds like the finnex ray 2 is the best option for both of our tanks! I'm excited to buy it.
__________________
“Alive without breath,
As cold as death;
Never thirsty, ever drinking,
All in mail never clinking.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien

FINNEX CLUB MEMBER!
Ashnic05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 08:07 PM   #6
defender.TX
Algae Grower
 
defender.TX's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 71
Default

Like Sluuuder mentioned, there really isn't a valid reason to pass up the Finnex Ray II if you have a tank size that fits well.
__________________
defender.TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 01:04 AM   #7
Sluuuder
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
Sluuuder's Avatar
 
PTrader: (8/100%)
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Lexington,NC
Posts: 307
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashnic05 View Post
The post I mentioned previously was actually yours, so thank you for you input Sounds like the finnex ray 2 is the best option for both of our tanks! I'm excited to buy it.
Yeah cause honestly the next best light for out tanks is a 30inch oddessy t5HO with four bulbs and 136 watts. High lighting but the oddessy is 85 I think and LEDs look much better so yeah the finnex II should be best for our tanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by defender.TX View Post
Like Sluuuder mentioned, there really isn't a valid reason to pass up the Finnex Ray II if you have a tank size that fits well.
Yeah, it should be a nice snug fit.
__________________

Selling Red Cherry Shrimp! Message for details!!!
Sluuuder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 01:40 AM   #8
Ashnic05
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
Ashnic05's Avatar
 
PTrader: (1/100%)
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 497
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sluuuder View Post
Yeah cause honestly the next best light for out tanks is a 30inch oddessy t5HO with four bulbs and 136 watts. High lighting but the oddessy is 85 I think and LEDs look much better so yeah the finnex II should be best for our tanks.
I was also trying to avoid getting a 30", because my tank is 36" long and I don't want dark corners (my current problem)! Finnex 2 I think will do very well.
__________________
“Alive without breath,
As cold as death;
Never thirsty, ever drinking,
All in mail never clinking.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien

FINNEX CLUB MEMBER!
Ashnic05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:33 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Planted Tank LLC 2012