Medicineman's 260 gal open top tank#2 journal (56k warning)
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 12-20-2005, 08:35 AM   #1
medicineman
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to medicineman

Medicineman's 260 gal open top tank#2 journal (56k warning)

Hi fellas.

For this holiday I have myself a present... another 260 gal open top tank for me! Perhaps some people will call me a nut
This one finally came out of the assembly, built everything from scratch. The tank measures at 197 cm x 70 cm x 76 cm, slightly differs from my old 260 gal (#1 tank). The glass is 12mm and polished all around the, including the rims as well. I'm placing this one on the 2nd storey of the house, which is at the balcony. The location is protected from rain and excess sunlight by a huge canopy at the 3rd storey. It is dreched by sunlight at an angle from 2-5pm, so I can save some lighting bills
It is quite a pain to get the tank to 2nd level. It took 6 men to painstakingly lift it up the stairs (and it got my toe too... )

Welcome new tank!

The cabinet is teakwood with some ornamental traditional carvings done by handycraftsmen in central java.

As you see I ordered the cabinet to have many doors and those many grille to improve air circulation.

And another set of overflow system... the one that I love and trust. Overflow is 2" pipe and return line is 3/4" pipe. The height is set so I will have a nice level of water line at around 70-71 cm, leaving just a little space from the top.

This is the bottom "filter tank". Useful as always due to multi functional usage. (you cannot see the whole thing in the picture, but it continues to 60% the length of the main tank).

For the mean time, I'm filling it to test for leaks and to adjust the overflow/return height (just to minimize the splashes and outgassing)
Next will be lighting system, gravel, CO2 and another DIY chiller, not to forget all other stuff. This one is going to be another planted tank.

Last edited by medicineman; 09-10-2007 at 04:18 PM..
medicineman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-20-2005, 11:36 AM   #2
jimmydrsv
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)

I can't wait to see what you do with this tank.
jimmydrsv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 12:33 PM   #3
Loubard
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Congrats on a very cool tank and I can't wait to see more of it!
Old 12-20-2005, 01:49 PM   #4
Georgiadawgger
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)

Good gosh...that's a monster! What are the plans? Equipment?
Old 12-20-2005, 01:57 PM   #5
Lorenceo
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

Man thats a nice tank.
I love that stand, looks awesome.
Will be watching this thread.

Eheim Pimp Member #76
410 litre (110g) tank. Link
Lorenceo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 02:51 PM   #6
medicineman
Wannabe Guru

As some of you may have noticed, this tank #2 is an entirely different set from its sister tank http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...ad.php?t=23361 which is my 260 gal #1 downstairs

Due to availability and results, I decided I'm going to use some similar methods on the new tank.

Things to do :
1. Fine tweaking of the overflow filtration system
2. Soak the tank for 3 days then clean it thoroughly
3. Get some of "billboard" metal halides like the one on tank #1 (which is done and I did some homework moving all the ballast and heavy stuff to a remote place). Get some fluoroscent lighting for secondary "viewing" light. Perhaps another T12 or T8. Looks like this in the sister tank

4. Get the air con man to fix in one of those DIY "freezer" chiller like the one in my tank #1 http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...ad.php?t=23212
5. Get another CO2 tank and regulator set (which is done and working)
6. Get a good reactor (well this will do the job cheaply - I will need a powerhead for this)

7. Substrate (done). Volcanic gravel 2-3mm, graded and cleaned. 6 sacks of them.
8. Base fertilizer (done). 3 bags @11pounds of JBL aquabasis. Some plant tablets. Some coco peat. Some fern peat.
9. Custom lighting bracket (again I failed to hang them from the ceiling)
10. Several packets of filter floss and friends.
11. Plan for an air ventilation system
12. etc etc... that I will update and will consult with the forum if I'm lost or not sure.
Old 12-20-2005, 08:32 PM   #7
Gmoney
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

Beautiful tank and stand. Can't wait to see it aquascaped. Keep the pictures coming.
nano-reef
Gmoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 11:53 PM   #8
Urkevitz
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

Jawdropping The teakwood stand is beautiful, and I love the glass bricks behind the tank!
Urkevitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 01:17 AM   #9
Hop
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Nice layout there. When do we get the full virtual home tour?
Old 12-21-2005, 01:20 AM   #10
bigstick120
Algae Eater

PTrader: (243/100%)

Very nice, looks like you have a nice home as well!
bigstick120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 04:01 PM   #11
medicineman
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Jawdropping The teakwood stand is beautiful, and I love the glass bricks behind the tank!
I tried to look for a decent location to place the tank. It seems that this layout works well enough. The granite floor will also withstand all water and weathering. Kinda risky inside though with those sensitive marble one.
Kinda reminded me of amano's exibition house layout. Remember that? The one tank under stairs in front of glass bricks.

Quote:
Very nice, looks like you have a nice home as well!
Nice layout there. When do we get the full virtual home tour?
Well.. I think home sweet home, though some people would over appreciate it. The house's no architec's masterpiece but merely a rough DIY design. Frankly it kinda stands out here but I'm not going to boast now.. there are so much more nicer home out there. It must have been the selection and materials that people will love. Thank you for the kind words and appreciation on the house. Well.. virtual home tour.. a little bit around the tank maybe.

Back to the tank...

And so today I hacked off a bit of the top of the return pipe, just to fine tweak it at a desireable level which is 2-3 cm under the water surface. This way I will get just nice agitation on the surface to make those nice water ripples. At the current level, the squirting of water is considerably controlled and I will not get any splash of water to the underside and on top of the rims as well as the sides.

However this proves a new problem as there is more water gushing back to the filter tank below when the pump is off. I'd better add a check valve soon inbetween the return line.

I check out the driftwood I bought several weeks earlier.They are sinking all right. Several weeks of a dip inside the koi pond does the job. Lets see how they look inside the tank later.

Some of the pond inhabitants. I have some shrimps and a shoal of breeding sumatra tiger barb in there as well. They seems to be happy when I add those woods inside.

Old 12-22-2005, 12:08 AM   #12
medicineman
Wannabe Guru

A bit "glass brick" tour...

The balcony features afternoon basking in the sun facility and a high flowing air circulation. There would be some surface water movement due to this air flow every now and then.
Might be too much sunlight from 2-4 but not to worry as it doesnt beam all day. If I'm getting much more than I need, a black sticker will do the job.
Old 12-22-2005, 12:50 AM   #13
matthewburk
Algae Grower

Awesome all around. Wish I could find some black pipe like that to use in my tank, what is that?
matthewburk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005, 03:37 AM   #14
medicineman
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewburk
Awesome all around. Wish I could find some black pipe like that to use in my tank, what is that?
Whoops... those "black pipes" are just sillhuette ... tehehe
You see that I took the pictures in the afternoon when the sun is shining from behind.

Seriously, those are just regular grey pipes "rucika" brand. If you desperately needs a black pipe, just make a joint connection and paint the pipe black (spray can will do). Just be sure to prep the pipe well. It should last a year or so until you have to undone the pipe, paint it and install it back. (It has been done in saltwater tank by my tank fabricator)
Old 12-22-2005, 04:56 AM   #15
matthewburk
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by medicineman
Whoops... those "black pipes" are just sillhuette ... tehehe
You see that I took the pictures in the afternoon when the sun is shining from behind.

Seriously, those are just regular grey pipes "rucika" brand. If you desperately needs a black pipe, just make a joint connection and paint the pipe black (spray can will do). Just be sure to prep the pipe well. It should last a year or so until you have to undone the pipe, paint it and install it back. (It has been done in saltwater tank by my tank fabricator)
Just paint it I think ill try that, any suggestions on what paint to use or not to use? How should I prep the pipe?
matthewburk is offline   Reply With Quote