hi-tech 2.5g nano
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 05-29-2014, 11:35 PM   #1
Ecas32
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

hi-tech 2.5g nano

Today I started my first nano tank and wanted to share with you all!

It is a PetSmart 2.5g that I de-rimmed myself. On top, I am running a Finnex Fugeray Planted+ 12", and I could not be any happier with the fixture. This is also my first go at DSM as I am trying to carpet some UG that I stumbled upon on the eBay in the U.S.

And hopefully I'm doing this right....? I set a cup of RO water in there with some flourish in it and have saran wrap on the top with holes poked in it.

Thanks!
Ecas32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2014, 09:36 PM   #2
Ecas32
Algae Grower

Well, my UG didn't make for probably a multitude of reasons but I will not go into that. I am trying again with HC tomorrow. Updates to come!
Old 06-03-2014, 02:44 AM   #3
yellabelly
Algae Grower

Default tough start

Not a dry start method user yet but have contemplated it for my next build. What do you think went wrong? From what I saw from the downward shot of the UG, it looked alittle to filled with water. Not trying to be a jerk just interested in the specifics. Some say to fill up to a half inch from the lowest part of the substrate. Good luck with the HC.

You have a great scape btw.
yellabelly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 03:25 AM   #4
gnikwoc
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)

What substrate is that? The biggest and probably hardest issue I had with dry start is; leave it alone. Especially in the first week or so, when the plants transition.

If it's an inert substrate, weaken down your ferts and flood with that, if it is a dirt based approach, you should be golden. Would be handed if you added your specs to this, just helps input.

I'm not sure of why you have an additional cup in there? The wetness of the substrate should keep the humidity up.

I'm no expert but I have done some emersed stuff and dry starts successfully. It's Slooooow BTW, it's a good start to stop floating etc, but sometimes it's actually slower than a fully functional high tech tank.
gnikwoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 04:40 AM   #5
Ecas32
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellabelly View Post
Not a dry start method user yet but have contemplated it for my next build. What do you think went wrong? From what I saw from the downward shot of the UG, it looked alittle to filled with water. Not trying to be a jerk just interested in the specifics. Some say to fill up to a half inch from the lowest part of the substrate. Good luck with the HC.

You have a great scape btw.
yella, quite a few things were wrong with this from the start unfortunately.... for starters, I received the plants via usps and was expecting a box to be delivered to my front door but the box was small enough to fit in my mailbox so they put it in there and I did not think to check my mail that day until late evening so it sat out in the heat all day baking (I live in FL). Second, these plants were a submerged culture and I tried to do an emersed growth. Which is one of the reasons why I had a good bit of water in there, I was trying to compensate I guess haha! I also had a hard time separating the roots from the leaves so I just barrier half of what was visible and hoped for the best.

Thank you though for the kind words to the scape! I figure I will have a better chance with the HC as it is an emeresed culture.
Old 06-03-2014, 04:43 AM   #6
Ecas32
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnikwoc View Post
What substrate is that? The biggest and probably hardest issue I had with dry start is; leave it alone. Especially in the first week or so, when the plants transition.

If it's an inert substrate, weaken down your ferts and flood with that, if it is a dirt based approach, you should be golden. Would be handed if you added your specs to this, just helps input.

I'm not sure of why you have an additional cup in there? The wetness of the substrate should keep the humidity up.

I'm no expert but I have done some emersed stuff and dry starts successfully. It's Slooooow BTW, it's a good start to stop floating etc, but sometimes it's actually slower than a fully functional high tech tank.
Its just the basic Petco brand fine grain black sand. And haha, yeah I guess that's true. I red something about a container of water one time and I've had so much trouble getting a straight answer on DSM.

But no, any input is welcome! Thank you!
Old 06-03-2014, 02:54 PM   #7
gnikwoc
Algae Grower

OK. So just spray with a weak ferlizer solution, as you don't want to burn your plants , but they need food. you want the water level below the sand. Keep it covered and 10-12 hour photo period is OK. My tip for any white fungus ( humidity too high) appearing is just clean with alcohol. Its didn't do anything to my plants. And good luck.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
Old 06-03-2014, 03:11 PM   #8
gnikwoc
Algae Grower

Actually, I'm going to give you some other input. Substrate is something that really can make us noobs life *sooo* much easier. I do a lot of emersed plants/carpet emersed plants in miracle gro and it's just so easy. Since this is a tiny tank, and you haven't really invested a huge amount of time into it. Do something experimental and I bet you will thank me later. Make this a dirt tank. Just get some Miracle gro potting soil, sieve out some of the bigger stuff, and make a border+cap with your current substrate. You wont even need to bother spraying with fertilizer for your dry start after that. I think most of the problems I've had as a noob have been substrate related. It's just an easy buffer to our inexperience. Plus the nirtogen cycle will be setup in the soil by the time you flood. My 2 c.

PS I say dirt instead of aquasoil as this is a tiny tank.

This is a a box of dirt I leave outside my window. I don't do anything to it. It started with 2 pots of DHG.

Last edited by gnikwoc; 06-03-2014 at 05:12 PM.. Reason: incorrect name
Old 06-06-2014, 08:21 PM   #9
Ecas32
Algae Grower

Trying again with HC.

Old 06-07-2014, 08:54 PM   #10
Ecas32
Algae Grower

So the HC that I planted in this tank is starting to turn yellowish brown.... and I don't understand because these came from the same order as the HC in my 55 that I planted at the same time with the same substrate and the HC in my 55 is doing great. I can't tell exactly since I don't have a par reader but the lighting seems to be generally in the same ballpark.

Does anybody have any ideas why this might be happening?
Old 06-07-2014, 10:02 PM   #11
umarnasir335
Planted Member

PTrader: (10/100%)

Could the "brown stuff" be a bacterial bloom?
I would think that too much water in a dry start could cause havoc if water levels are inconsistent...
umarnasir335 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 12:33 AM   #12
Ecas32
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by umarnasir335 View Post
Could the "brown stuff" be a bacterial bloom?
I would think that too much water in a dry start could cause havoc if water levels are inconsistent...
I just took some water out of the soil so we'll see if the condition improves any. Thank for the heads up!
Old 06-08-2014, 04:45 PM   #13
Ecas32
Algae Grower

The condition is worsening and they appear to be dying off. I moved a few of the pieces that looked like they might still be able to make it into my 55 that seems to be flourishing with its dry start under the same exact conditions.....

Also I determined its not a fungus or bacterial bloom, there is no tiny white filament or anything that indicates otherwise. It just is straight dying and I can't figure out why for anything. Then two tanks have seemingly the exact same conditions.

Is it worth me moving over the ones that are no longer green as well? Any chance they might bounce back??

Last edited by Ecas32; 06-08-2014 at 05:22 PM.. Reason: additional information
Old 06-09-2014, 02:49 PM   #14
Ecas32
Algae Grower

Quick question: is it possible that I have too high of lighting? The 2.5g is very shallow and the led very bright. I could raise it up fairly easy if need be....
Old 06-09-2014, 08:56 PM   #15
Ecas32
Algae Grower

I went ahead and raised the fixture just incase this was the cause of the problem. I can always adjust it up or down to wherever it needs to be. I put one of my plugs of HC from my 55 dry start into the nano to see if this solved any problems.

Can anyone give me any input as to why I am having this problem???