Soothing Shrimp's Mad Shrimp Gene Factory - Page 17
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Shrimp & Other Invertebrates

Old 06-28-2013, 05:26 PM   #241
MABJ
Invert Warrior

PTrader: (14/100%)

I find it interesting the DBV are so small.

Do the females stay small as well?
Mark A Belcher Junior, founder -- DBP Club.
MABJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-28-2013, 05:50 PM   #242
Soothing Shrimp
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (131/100%)

With the rare exception, all pretty much stay small. Maybe 3/4" or so. My theory is that they inherited a short gene and now it is stabilized into the stock.

You can maximize growth with lots of fresh water though.
Old 06-28-2013, 06:22 PM   #243
Lexinverts
Maestro of Invertology

PTrader: (42/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soothing Shrimp View Post
Entirely different genetics. The original sapphires came from my mutations tank, then I had to breed to get more, and then cull and create the colony and then cull some more, etc. You know the routine. heh Finally I got them to breed 100% true blue.
Could they have come from Chocolates, then? Or were they just a Fire Red mutation?

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=338362
Lexinverts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 06:32 PM   #244
Soothing Shrimp
Planted Tank Guru

I suppose in essence everything could come from chocolates since they have almost all combos in them.

The mutations tank was a tank where if something odd showed up from any of my colonies, it would go into the tank until I figured out if I wanted a project with them. Often they would interbreed with other mutations in the interim and I'd wind up with more odd mutations. This sapphire mutation (variety) was found in the f3 or f4 generations.

These were not from the same mutation strain as Nessies.
Old 06-28-2013, 06:50 PM   #245
MABJ
Invert Warrior

PTrader: (14/100%)

No need to max growth, I love that they're really small. Makes a spec even more viable for them
Mark A Belcher Junior, founder -- DBP Club.
MABJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 07:33 PM   #246
wicca27
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to wicca27

bryce those are awesome. i so want some sapphire and nessie's lol. did the male green make it or did he kick the can like the female i sent? what about the odd ball shrimp i sent have you messed with them at all or are they just running amuck lol
wicca27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 08:30 PM   #247
Soothing Shrimp
Planted Tank Guru

Heyya Wicca.

The wasabis are breeding among themselves. Should have a pretty good colony by the end of the year.

The male battlecat is still alive, but hasn't procreated with his two fem BVs though.
Old 06-29-2013, 02:17 AM   #248
wicca27
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to wicca27

that is a shame i hope he gets the job done for you. glad the wasabi are doing good for you
wicca27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 12:48 PM   #249
Soothing Shrimp
Planted Tank Guru

About to embark on an experiment. One of my 1.5g tanks has hydra. I have no idea where they came from considering none of my other tanks have it, but regardless- hydra have appeared over the past week.

I have read in my reading that spixis will take care of hydra. However they are illegal to cross state lines. So...

My experiment is to use a couple large ramshorn taken from another tank, and see if it eats the hydra. The mystery snail in there is currently leaving them alone.

I also have a couple small pond snails in there...so we'll see what the results are in a week.
Old 07-07-2013, 04:30 PM   #250
Soothing Shrimp
Planted Tank Guru

Just wanted to share a crazy experience that may give you a laugh.

I just traded off my granites from my 30g tank, so I figured I'd transfer my malawa into it instead. I changed out the water to drop the ph, and started the netting. Needless to say, since malawa have a much more powerful tail flip, I was having a very difficult time netting larger numbers.

I started by siphoning the babies through a tube into a shrimp net held above a 5 gallon bucket. I've done this before, so I knew it would work, but I still wasn't catching out the huge number of shrimp I had in there.

After more trials and errors, I finally became so frustrated, I grabbed the tenner they were in with maybe a gallon or two of water left, walked it to the 30g, turned it on it's smaller side and inserted the whole @#%%# thing into the 30g to tip it over and take it out...THAT worked.
Old 07-07-2013, 04:37 PM   #251
Lexinverts
Maestro of Invertology

Quote:

I just traded off my granites from my 30g tank, so I figured I'd transfer my malawa into it instead. I changed out the water to drop the ph, and started the netting. Needless to say, since malawa have a much more powerful tail flip, I was having a very difficult time netting larger numbers.

I started by siphoning the babies through a tube into a shrimp net held above a 5 gallon bucket. I've done this before, so I knew it would work, but I still wasn't catching out the huge number of shrimp I had in there.

After more trials and errors, I finally became so frustrated, I grabbed the tenner they were in with maybe a gallon or two of water left, walked it to the 30g, turned it on it's smaller side and inserted the whole @#%%# thing into the 30g to tip it over and take it out...THAT worked.
Now, that's thinking outside the box.

Are you trying to selectively breed Malawa shrimps? They seem to me to be like some of the color-changer shrimps that never seem to respond to selective breeding. Have you gotten anywhere with them?

Old 07-07-2013, 04:56 PM   #252
Oceangirl
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)

Quote:

I like it!
Oceangirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 04:58 PM   #253
Soothing Shrimp
Planted Tank Guru

I culled most of the clearish ones over time. Now I have mostly the darker colored malawa that few seem to sell for some reason. (?) At least every time I added new blood from someone, I've been sold clearish.

Too busy to select beyond that, besides which- even after keeping and breeding these for years, I still can't tell the fems from the males unless berried!
Old 07-07-2013, 04:59 PM   #254
Soothing Shrimp
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oceangirl View Post
I like it!
LOL I wouldn't have done it that way if I only had a hundred or so.
Old 07-07-2013, 05:02 PM   #255
Lexinverts
Maestro of Invertology

Quote:
I culled most of the clearish ones over time. Now I have mostly the darker colored malawa that few seem to sell for some reason. (?) At least every time I added new blood from someone, I've been sold clearish.

Too busy to select beyond that, besides which- even after keeping and breeding these for years, I still can't tell the fems from the males unless berried!
This is similar to what I am trying to do with the Granites. But, those are easy to sex.