Soothing Shrimp's Mad Shrimp Gene Factory
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Shrimp & Other Invertebrates

Old 02-12-2013, 04:26 PM   #1
Soothing Shrimp
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (128/100%)

Soothing Shrimp's Mad Shrimp Gene Factory

Okay, time to start a little journal for myself and others following along. Ideas change as fast as I can put them in a post. So if you are a little crazy, like to have fun and maybe even challenge conventional wisdom, read on with several grains of salt and a saddlebag full of salt shakers.

I work with shrimp mutations quite a bit. 'Tis my passion. When a new color of cherry comes out I salivate. Can't help it. Kind of like Pavlov's Dogs. LOL

Recently I had some colors pop out of a mutation that look very much like already known colors.

One of these is blue velvet. Starts out red as babies and then it fades into a blue color by young adult. I'll be calling these Aqua so as to avoid confusion.

Another is carbon rili. I have both the clear body and blue bodied version. I named the blue bodied ones Boxers before the carbons came out, so again the different name will avoid confusion.

Why do this in public instead of in private like the rest of so many projects?

Simple, I can use insights that I may not have- yet another member may think of. (Ugh. Prepositional ending.)

Plus, if this helps someone else try a project themselves, then go for it!

Here's my thinking as of this day. If I cross the "new mutations" with the known colors from already developed strains- one of two things will happen.

Either I will get offspring that looks like the developed strain (which means the genetics are similar enough that this NOT a "new" mutation.)

Or I will get weird offspring (which means the genetics for the color is located on a different loci- hence a new mutation strain.)

Last edited by Soothing Shrimp; 05-01-2013 at 03:07 PM.. Reason: more info
Soothing Shrimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2013, 04:34 PM   #2
wicca27
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to wicca27

hehe i was thinking there was a reason the the theoretical question thread lol. i like to play with shrimp too. it can be fun and really rewarding. right now im kinda working on a line of prl. i figured that after almost 2 years of breeding and never adding new stock and not yet seen a snow or golden baby from any of them its kinda safe to say they are not crossed with any. i dont really cull but they patter is slowly getting better ie more white even though its not the greatest but then again i dont have 100% perfect water either. i also get blue rili. i have some that are as dark as the blue velvets but mine dont always get the red, they start out dark blue. ive seen your version of the carbons and they are so pretty. you have done great work with them. i cant wait to see what you do next. please keep up the good work, its awsome and no telling what the new color will be. im trying to work on purple rili lol
wicca27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 04:36 PM   #3
Soothing Shrimp
Planted Tank Guru

First thing on my agenda is to buy (2) 2.5g tanks and cycle them...

Not planning on spending a ton of money, so it looks like these tanks maybe the cheapest way to go: http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...AvailInUS%2FNo
Old 02-12-2013, 04:41 PM   #4
Soothing Shrimp
Planted Tank Guru

Wicca, I hope you do get the purple! I was working on a purple cherry for awhile I called Plum, however with the mortality rates, I finally figured maybe the purple from my cherries was either a weak gene or bacterial infection. I culled everything.
---

I'm planning on going super low tech on the tanks. Inert substrate, double sponge filter.

I am a little concerned about the temp though. I have all shrimp in 78-80F If I move the shrimp over to the 2.5gs, I'd be better off without a heater, however I don't know if the sudden drop in temp will affect them in a bad way...
Old 02-12-2013, 04:50 PM   #5
sbarbee54
The Security Dude

PTrader: (99/100%)

Have you thought though if you do get : " I will get weird offspring (which means the genetics for the color is located on a different loci- hence a new mutation strain.) " The gene could be recessive. Thus coming out down the line
Finnex Pimp #8
sbarbee54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 04:52 PM   #6
Soothing Shrimp
Planted Tank Guru

However if the colors of both shrimp were the same genetics, then the same color should appear first generation- because they would both be recessive.
Old 02-12-2013, 05:12 PM   #7
Soothing Shrimp
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbarbee54 View Post
Have you thought though if you do get : " I will get weird offspring (which means the genetics for the color is located on a different loci- hence a new mutation strain.) " The gene could be recessive. Thus coming out down the line

Ah! That's actually what I am hoping for sbarbee.

You see if I have different loci of the color, that means I have a totally seperate strain than what is currently offered.

Although they would LOOK the same- genetically they would not be. So, when mixed with other colors of shrimp, they could offer up something that hasn't been seen before!

I seriously doubt that either one of these colors are dominant.
Old 02-12-2013, 05:12 PM   #8
sbarbee54
The Security Dude

I do not think that is true in all cases. As studies on people have shown that if one Identical twin with the same genetic and blood pattern as his brother have children with the same women the out come is different in each trial. I have read on this because I am a identical twin, that had the exact same blood pattern as my twin. We are in the 1%-2% of twins like this.
Finnex Pimp #8
Old 02-12-2013, 05:28 PM   #9
Soothing Shrimp
Planted Tank Guru

Well, that is very interesting news, and could possibly put a crimp on things. Thanks you for sharing that with me. It is certainly something to re-examine when I get to that point!
Old 02-12-2013, 05:42 PM   #10
sbarbee54
The Security Dude

Shrimp could be different, but I have spent years reading up on twins. I belong to a network of twins and there is all kinds of stuff I have learned from it.
Finnex Pimp #8
Old 02-12-2013, 06:16 PM   #11
speedie408
Canon Pimp #001

PTrader: (385/100%)

What do you have up your sleeve Bryce?

Pics or it's all lies!
speedie408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 07:46 PM   #12
ravensgate
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (64/100%)

Get 'em Speedie! Lol! I think bouncing the ideas around us really going to be helpful Bryce
ravensgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 08:39 PM   #13
wicca27
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to wicca27

if its small tanks and you want to keep them warmer find a shelving unit that will hold them weight wise and just put them up higher. upper part will alawys be warmer than the lower shelves
wicca27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 08:53 PM   #14
metallicanick78
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)

Sbarbee- what do you mean "the outcome is different in each trial"? Im not following the comparison to soothings situation.
metallicanick78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 08:54 PM   #15
Puddles
Suspended

PTrader: (26/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soothing Shrimp View Post

I am a little concerned about the temp though. I have all shrimp in 78-80F If I move the shrimp over to the 2.5gs, I'd be better off without a heater, however I don't know if the sudden drop in temp will affect them in a bad way...
You can just take water out of the tank they are in and let it gradually cool to room temperature. That would be less of a sudden shock than transferring from one tank to another immediately.
Puddles is offline   Reply With Quote