Cost of 40B vs. Cost of 20L
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 02-12-2013, 04:06 PM   #1
Mumford
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (7/100%)

Cost of 40B vs. Cost of 20L

Hello all.

I'm doing tons of research on what will be my first legit planted tank. (Proper soil, co2, lights, etc)

And the cost of this seems to be crazy!

Has anyone compared the cost of a 40 breeder versus a 20 long?

I love the freedom of a huge tank but I feel like the cost alone of the gear might kill me

Has anyone gone through the same process that I currently am?
Mumford is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2013, 04:48 PM   #2
CrypticLifeStyle
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

You can wait for a $1- per gallon sale at Petco. I see them a lot on my saltwater forums too for $30-$40. You can try craiglist. I think the extra room in a 40b is totally worth it. I love deptj
Old 02-12-2013, 05:03 PM   #3
Mumford
Planted Tank Obsessed

No no I mean total cost. The tank is just a small part
Old 02-12-2013, 05:21 PM   #4
stevenjohn21
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)

Unfortunatly with this hobby you can't put a budget on a tank setup and stay true to it......or at least i cant LOL
One thing leads to another and before you know it, you are well over your budget.

If you are staying on a low budget and dont mind waiting, i would look on craigslist as much as possible and place a add. If you are lucky enough to get the aquarium,filter,heater,light,stand for free then you can use the money you saved to buy things like C02 reg/cylinder, ferts, plants etc

My advice, since you are asking about the cost, is to visit the low tech threads on this site and look at some of the amazing tanks they have. Some just as nice if not better than high tech ! If you go with a cool water setup then you wont be spending as much on heater cost ...........the electric bill always hurts me this time of the year !

“Football is a simple game; 22 men chase a ball for 90 minutes and at the end, the Germans win.” -Gary Linekar

"Some people are on the pitch! They think it's all over! It is now, it's four!" -Kenneth Wolstenholme
stevenjohn21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 05:22 PM   #5
amberoze
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
Default Re: Cost of 40B vs. Cost of 20L

You can actually do a really Mich l nice planted tank on a budget. Miracle Gro organic garden soil substrate, black diamond blasting sand to cap it, a t8 fluorescent shop light from lows or home depot. The filter can even be an "underpowered" filter for your tank size because the plants will take up part of the filters job. You can even build the stand your self if you have the tools and skills. And patients, all of this will take patience.

Edit to add: you can skip the co2 as well, its really only needed if you are using liquid fertilizers, which you won't need with the soil substrate.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
amberoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 05:23 PM   #6
A.D.D.i.c.t.
Shrimpin' Ain't Easy

PTrader: (0/0%)

I would invest in the 40 regardless. Otherwise you'll probably own both eventually. Initial cost will no doubt be higher, but the payoff will be worth it. Increased water volume will give you less headaches down the road. More space to plant, and more options for livestock if you choose to keep fish. If I could start over I would have gone big from the beginning. My 3 cents.

the addiction continues...
Jumping Into the Deep End: DBP 3 Gallon Long
A.D.D.i.c.t. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 05:24 PM   #7
daworldisblack
Planted Member

One thing about the 20L that you may or may not like is that its 30" long. I have a 24" T5HO on mine and the spread is ok but with a 40B you can use a 36" fixture. It will def cost more - fixture and per bulb. Same deal with filters.. bigger = costs more. However, I think if you wait and take your time snapping up deals in the sales thread, this whole cost issue should be a non-issue. You may spend just as much with quality used stuff and a 40B as on everything new 20L.

60-P | 40Gal Breeder | 15Gal RCS | 15Gal Yellow Shrimp Tank | 20Gal Tall Killi Paradise | [Vids]

daworldisblack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 05:30 PM   #8
scapegoat
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)

I spent a few hundred setting up a 20g long. $20 for the tank, then came the substrate, t5ho lights, co2 system, plants, fish... maybe $100 for the stand that I built.

you can make it as cheap or expensive as you want. I could set up a dirted 40b for less than the 20
Old 02-12-2013, 09:48 PM   #9
Mumford
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenjohn21 View Post
Unfortunatly with this hobby you can't put a budget on a tank setup and stay true to it......or at least i cant LOL
One thing leads to another and before you know it, you are well over your budget.

If you are staying on a low budget and dont mind waiting, i would look on craigslist as much as possible and place a add. If you are lucky enough to get the aquarium,filter,heater,light,stand for free then you can use the money you saved to buy things like C02 reg/cylinder, ferts, plants etc

My advice, since you are asking about the cost, is to visit the low tech threads on this site and look at some of the amazing tanks they have. Some just as nice if not better than high tech ! If you go with a cool water setup then you wont be spending as much on heater cost ...........the electric bill always hurts me this time of the year !
Well I'm looking for a higher tech tank, hence why I'm thinking the 20L.
Everything I get would be a little smaller/cheaper. Less fish, plants, substrate, etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.D.D.i.c.t. View Post
I would invest in the 40 regardless. Otherwise you'll probably own both eventually. Initial cost will no doubt be higher, but the payoff will be worth it. Increased water volume will give you less headaches down the road. More space to plant, and more options for livestock if you choose to keep fish. If I could start over I would have gone big from the beginning. My 3 cents.

the addiction continues...
Eventually but that could be 6 years out (or more)

Quote:
Originally Posted by daworldisblack View Post
One thing about the 20L that you may or may not like is that its 30" long. I have a 24" T5HO on mine and the spread is ok but with a 40B you can use a 36" fixture. It will def cost more - fixture and per bulb. Same deal with filters.. bigger = costs more. However, I think if you wait and take your time snapping up deals in the sales thread, this whole cost issue should be a non-issue. You may spend just as much with quality used stuff and a 40B as on everything new 20L.
Crap that is a good point. What do most people do for these I wonder?

Quote:
Originally Posted by scapegoat View Post
I spent a few hundred setting up a 20g long. $20 for the tank, then came the substrate, t5ho lights, co2 system, plants, fish... maybe $100 for the stand that I built.

you can make it as cheap or expensive as you want. I could set up a dirted 40b for less than the 20
I was planning on a few hundred for the 20L, the 40B seems like it's 400-500
Old 02-12-2013, 11:37 PM   #10
amberoze
Planted Tank Obsessed

Light Fixture : $46.24 (Recommend hardware store)
Four bulb :
Amazon.com: Good Earth G9804-T8-BKSS 2 Light Garage or Workshop Worklight with  Pull Chain Start, Black and Stainless Finish, T8 Bulbs Not Included: Home Improvement Amazon.com: Good Earth G9804-T8-BKSS 2 Light Garage or Workshop Worklight with Pull Chain Start, Black and Stainless Finish, T8 Bulbs Not Included: Home Improvement

Two bulb : $35.98
Amazon.com: Lithonia Lighting SB 232 120 GESB 4-Foot 2-Light T8 Fluorescent Ceiling Fixture, White: Home Improvement Amazon.com: Lithonia Lighting SB 232 120 GESB 4-Foot 2-Light T8 Fluorescent Ceiling Fixture, White: Home Improvement
(minus the plastic cover)

Light Bulbs : $6.75 (Recommend hardware store)
Amazon.com: Sylvania 21942 - FO25/741/ECO Straight T8 Fluorescent Tube Light Bulb: Home Improvement Amazon.com: Sylvania 21942 - FO25/741/ECO Straight T8 Fluorescent Tube Light Bulb: Home Improvement

Miracle Gro : $5.59 (Recommend local garden center store)
Amazon.com: Miracle-Gro Organic Choice Garden Soil - 1 Cubic Foot: Home Improvement Amazon.com: Miracle-Gro Organic Choice Garden Soil - 1 Cubic Foot: Home Improvement

Black Diamond : $8.99 (Recommend hardware store)
Amazon.com: Black Diamond Blasting Abrasive: Home Improvement Amazon.com: Black Diamond Blasting Abrasive: Home Improvement

Plants : $20
http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/aucti...nts&1360776600

Filter : $82.36
http://www.thatpetplace.com/eheim-22...-filter-55-gal

Say you get the tank for $40 at petco...

Total : $190.18 plus tax, and shipping for some. I do not recomend ordering it all online, as shipping will be OUTRAGEOUS. Do as much in person shopping as possible. All in all, Id say around $250 for everything...Depending on your fish of choice. Also, I left out co2 because it is unnecessary with good substrate and the right light.
Old 02-13-2013, 12:07 AM   #11
Higher Thinking
So good my algae pearls!

PTrader: (23/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by amberoze View Post

Edit to add: you can skip the co2 as well, its really only needed if you are using liquid fertilizers, which you won't need with the soil substrate.

Quote:
Total : $190.18 plus tax, and shipping for some. I do not recomend ordering it all online, as shipping will be OUTRAGEOUS. Do as much in person shopping as possible. All in all, Id say around $250 for everything...Depending on your fish of choice. Also, I left out co2 because it is unnecessary with good substrate and the right light.
I'm sorry, but you are definitely incorrect with regards to co2. It is absolutely fundamental regardless of substrate. What would that matter anyway? The right light, like some high output varieties, necessitate that you use co2 to avoid issues with algae. While not mandatory, I would never advise someone (twice) that co2 is unnecessary. Liquid or dry ferts make no difference. Plants need co2 and the limited amount available from atmospheric concentrations will definitely hinder the type and quality of plants you will successfully grow.

All that to say, you can set up a DIY co2 system for a few dollars. In the end though, one always winds up going pressurized.
Old 02-13-2013, 01:13 AM   #12
amberoze
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Higher Thinking View Post
I'm sorry, but you are definitely incorrect with regards to co2. It is absolutely fundamental regardless of substrate. What would that matter anyway? The right light, like some high output varieties, necessitate that you use co2 to avoid issues with algae. While not mandatory, I would never advise someone (twice) that co2 is unnecessary. Liquid or dry ferts make no difference. Plants need co2 and the limited amount available from atmospheric concentrations will definitely hinder the type and quality of plants you will successfully grow.

All that to say, you can set up a DIY co2 system for a few dollars. In the end though, one always winds up going pressurized.
I have five(5).. heavily planted tanks... Not one bit of co2 involved. Even growing plants like HC, crypts, riccia, etc. where co2 is recommended. I have medium light levels at best. Each and every aquarium hobbyist has their own opinions on how things should be done, so please don't tell me that my opinion is wrong and back yourself with your own opinion with out stating hard facts. I'm not here to argue with anyone, only to discuss this wonderful hobby that we all enjoy.

Old 02-13-2013, 05:39 AM   #13
talontsiawd
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to talontsiawd

I will bet that whatever brand of equipment you choose, the only thing that will be 2x as expensive will be the tank. The 40B will be cheaper per gallon, meaning that at the same turnover rate, the filter will be far from 2x as much. Same the the lighting, the fixture will only be marginally more expensive. Sure, the 40B will be more expensive, but maybe by 1/3 or less, so it comes down to preference.

Someone brought up the fact that the 20 long is 30 inches. I started with a 29 gallon and have had a few more 20 longs. Lighting can be annoying on these tanks. My current 20 long has a 24 inch fixture as I got sick of it, though many 30 in fixtures have 24 in bulbs which solves that. In high light, I don't have issues. However, with a 36 inch tank, you have several other options if you change your mind on tank size. With a 30 inch, not so much, you have 3 tanks that have vastly different depths so it's not easy to switch things up.

On the flip side, you don't need a crazy light to get high light into a 20 long. It's only 12 inch tall so just about any dual bulb T5HO fixture will be a good amount of light. A great dual bulb T5Ho fixture may be to much, especially right on the rim. So lighting can be really cheap for these tanks which is usually a major expense.

At the end of the day, buy the one you want more. Nothing is more frustrating than saving a few bucks, only to buy all over again.
talontsiawd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 11:42 AM   #14
Razorworm
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
You can actually do a really Mich l nice planted tank on a budget. Miracle Gro organic garden soil substrate, black diamond blasting sand to cap it, a t8 fluorescent shop light from lows or home depot. The filter can even be an "underpowered" filter for your tank size because the plants will take up part of the filters job. You can even build the stand your self if you have the tools and skills. And patients, all of this will take patience.

Great ideas ( especially if this is your first go at a planted tank )! Save even more money and go the MTS route.
Razorworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 01:30 PM   #15
OVT
Carpe Diem

PTrader: (142/100%)

As many said before me, the cost of 40B over 20L would be marginal at best. Personally, every time I try to save $10 I lose $100.

Can you build and run a gorgeous tank without co2? Absolutely.
Will you be able to grow all the pants you might want to without co2? No.

Can you grow half-decent HC without co2? Crypts? Absolutely. Big deal ...
But let's see some pictures of Rotala roundifolia that shows any color but green. Or R. macrandra. co2 is a tool for specific jobs. Don't knock it or other members until you've tried it.