Glofish... Breeding true - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 02-13-2013, 12:57 AM   #16
GraphicGr8s
Banned

PTrader: (9/100%)

Glofish are patented not copyrighted. Just like you patent a machine. Intentional breeding is illegal. The "and/or" is the key in item 4 below.

Quote:
GLOFISH® FLUORESCENT FISH LICENSE NOTICE

GloFish® fluorescent ornamental fish are intended solely for visual enjoyment as aquarium fish by end-users who have purchased these fish through authorized channels, and not for commercial reproduction. Please note the following important information:

1) These fish are the subject of various intellectual property rights owned or controlled by Yorktown Technologies, L.P. (“Yorktown”), both in the U.S. and internationally.

2) GloFish® is a trademark owned by Yorktown Technologies (Registration No. 3,056,697), and cannot be used in connection with the promotion or sale of any ornamental fish other than authentic GloFish® fluorescent fish, which are exclusively produced by Segrest Farms, Inc and 5-D Tropical, Inc. for sale on behalf of Yorktown.

3) GloFish® fluorescent fish are covered under one or more of the following United States Patent Numbers: 7,834,239; 7,858,844; 7,700,825; 7,135,613; 7,442,522; 7,537,915; 7,150,979 and 7,166,444, as well as other pending applications.

4) Intentional breeding and/or any sale, barter, or trade, of any offspring of GloFish® fluorescent ornamental fish is strictly prohibited.

5) Notwithstanding the foregoing, production of these fish is permitted for educational use by teachers and students in bona fide educational institutions, provided, however, that any sale, barter, or trade, of the offspring from such reproduction of these fish is strictly prohibited.

6) Please note that these fish may not be sold or transferred to anyone in the State of California, as this is prohibited by California Law. The producers of GloFish request that all consumers respect this regulation. For more information about this issue, please click here.

7) Any bag, container, or aquarium holding GloFish® fluorescent fish for resale, other than bags provided to end users, will be marked with either “GloFish® fluorescent fish”, or “GloFish®”, along with the name of the specific line(s) being held (i.e., Starfire Red®, Electric Green®, Sunburst Orange®, etc.)
Quote:
Breeding

Intentional breeding of GloFish is prohibited due to license restrictions.[2] It is made more difficult by hyperbaric treatment of the young to render them sterile.
I'm not a fan of any GMO
Here's to our wives and sweethearts - may they never meet.
If you agreed with me we'd both be right.
GraphicGr8s is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-13-2013, 01:19 AM   #17
wendyjo
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)

everything you could wanna know about the how, why, where of glofish

http://www.glofish.com/faq.asp#TheScienceofGloFish
wendyjo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2013, 01:01 PM   #18
HybridHerp
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)

TBH, if I ever did have glofish, I'd either do a blacklight tank of all different species of glofish (I know there are angels and tiger barbs with this) or I'd do these with some albino fish of some sort (white skirt, bushy nose cats....idk what else comes in albino lol)
Old 02-13-2013, 02:01 PM   #19
Rob in Puyallup
Opae Ula Crazed.

PTrader: (3/100%)
Default Re: Glofish... Breeding true

I do have a couple problems with Glofish. Zebra Danio (the only Glofish I've seen) are very pretty as they are. Glowing them is like "gilding the lily" as far as I can see. Turns them into weird curiosities, I guess.

My other problem is that in order to get full benefit of the glowing you need a black light, guess an actinic bulb would do. Either bulb gives an unnatural light for critters that are day active. Has the typical owner of these fish ever looked directly into one of these lights? I can't imagine being forced to live under one of those.

Seems at least one company is making lots of profits on the tank aquaria and neon ornaments as well...

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S III using Tapatalk 2
Rob in Puyallup is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2013, 02:27 PM   #20
Mumford
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (7/100%)
Default Glofish... Breeding true

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Toro View Post
I'm sorry. I must have had a scattered thought there. I just went and reread my post. I understand there was no dye used and I understand GMO. Sorry to frustrate you Mumford
I'm just upset that some people will do anything to make a buck. You probably are right about the mollies. I'm pretty sure the ones I've seen with numbers, hearts, designs on them are dyed or painted.
Oh I wasn't frustrated, I figured the caps would catch your attention

- Mumford

20 Gallon Long - Work in Progress
Mumford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2013, 06:54 PM   #21
lochaber
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraphicGr8s View Post
I'm not a fan of any GMO

I've got mixed feelings about GMOs in general, but I really hate the corporate bullying that seems to always go hand in hand with GMOs.
lochaber is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2014, 12:39 AM   #22
chowdan
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Sorry for reviving this thread.

Glo's have grown on me over the years. I have 2 tanks with the barbs and danios. I run antec blue lighting on them, however the purpose of the tank is pretty much for an aquaponics window farm.

I enjoy the "freaky" feeling they give off when lit up. Its a different scene than what most tanks can offer in my view, and I like different. My biggest problem with them is the fact that it is a patented product and not viewed as a living thing, though that could be very easily debated. I am glad to hear that the genes are passed on as I have intentions of breeding them to increase the bioload in my aquaponics system.

I do have questions about multiple off springs, the first set of offsprings would solely contain one gene color and not allow a "cross blend", however would multiple breedings of off springs eventually lead to a "cross blend"? Say a orange and blue breed and the off springs of an orange and blue breed again - would that eventually lead to a multi color?
chowdan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.