Which aquasoil for HC?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Substrate

Old 02-12-2013, 07:45 AM   #1
Knicolas
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

Which aquasoil for HC?

My lfs is recommending I use powder type for HC but have seen others use normal type. I don't mind paying the extra for powder, but I also found someone selling a bag of normal type for a good price. This will be in a Mini-L.

and a random question, how long can aquasoil be left out in the open?

Edit*** I'll be using the dry start method

Last edited by Knicolas; 02-12-2013 at 10:20 AM.. Reason: Add
Knicolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2013, 10:08 AM   #2
BeastMaster
Darth Rimless

PTrader: (1/100%)

In 3 of the 4 tanks that I have set up with HC, I laid out the general elevation for the tank theme using normal Aquasoil, placed the hardscape in position (rocks, driftwood) then put down a 1/2" layer of powder Aquasoil for planting. I tease apart individual stems with roots and place the HC plantlets in the wet/submerged powder about 1/2" apart (very tedious). Using powder helps alot when inserting the plantlets because the smaller granules tend to collapse into the stem/root thereby holding down the plant better and minimizing floating HC. In a fourth tank I recently used just normal and am trying to replace some tenellus with HC. Planting tends to be a little more difficult in holding down stems/roots in just normal Aquasoil. Time will tell if HC will handle this technique for growth. No experience with emersed start-up or using plugs. Hope this helps.
Eheim Pimp Club #540 Finnex Club Member #11 ADA Gentleman #6 DBP Club 12G Club 60P Club BeastMaster Project Tanks
BeastMaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 10:15 AM   #3
BeastMaster
Darth Rimless

On your 2nd question about open bags of Aquasoil, I think that if the bag is sealed to shield from moisture, it should be alright. I've had opened bags of Aquasoil and Fluval Stratum for a couple of months without any problems of possible mold or clumping.
Eheim Pimp Club #540 Finnex Club Member #11 ADA Gentleman #6 DBP Club 12G Club 60P Club BeastMaster Project Tanks
Old 02-12-2013, 10:17 AM   #4
acitydweller
ओं मणिपद्मे हूं

PTrader: (174/100%)

finner substrate offers a denser more compact base for smaller plants to take root in. IME, its preferred for plants like HC if only for looks but in doing an emersed setup, its not as important as there isn't the problem where it would float in water or be dislodged due to current so it may be more along the lines of personal preference.
Old 02-12-2013, 10:18 AM   #5
Knicolas
Planted Member

Thanks for the reply. Should I just get a 9L bag of the powder type and call it a day?
Old 02-12-2013, 10:34 AM   #6
BeastMaster
Darth Rimless

You might want to talk to JoJo @ Aquascapes. If your going to use just Aquasoil powder, the "base" may compact overtime and cause unforseen problems. If your doing dry start, then you can probably use normal Aquasoil. Be alot cheaper. Good Luck.
Old 02-13-2013, 02:22 AM   #7
Knicolas
Planted Member

Thanks BeastMaster, I ended up getting a 9L bag of normal and a 3L bag of powder.

Old 02-13-2013, 03:28 AM   #8
BeastMaster
Darth Rimless

Looks like the start of a nice project! Can't wait to see some pics when you finish your scaping.
Old 02-13-2013, 03:38 AM   #9
sayurasem
SCAPEr

PTrader: (2/100%)

Great choice! Although the powder will sink to the bottom after some time. The powder substrate is like icing to a cake
sayurasem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 04:53 AM   #10
Knicolas
Planted Member

Here's a link to my build thread. http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=242850

Last edited by Knicolas; 02-13-2013 at 04:54 AM.. Reason: Misspelling