How to fix my plant tank?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Substrate

Old 02-12-2013, 01:47 AM   #1
kevin9xo
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

How to fix my plant tank?

hi

I guess i havent done enough research to make a plant tank but is there any way to fix this?

my Substrate i used is Eco complete and i heard that it breaks down easily and it is really bad. Today, i read to put dirt underneath the substrate so the nutrients stay in so the eco complete becomes useful...

I already put planted my 6 clumps of dwarf hair grass and one anubias with 7 rummy nose tetra and 6 RCS.

Is there any way to fix this or are my plants screwed?

AND my red cherry shrimps arent eating my algae wafers or the flakes that have fallen to the ground from the fish

sorry very new at this
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20130211_183807.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	85.6 KB
ID:	85762  

kevin9xo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2013, 01:53 AM   #2
Dx3Bash
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (8/100%)

Eco Complete isn't bad. It also does not break down. Root tabs will help your plants develop. I use it in my planted 55 without issue and have a nice jungle growing.
Old 02-12-2013, 01:59 AM   #3
pirayaman
Planted Tank Obsessed

take the hg out and split it up and plant it so it covers the front. i think the eco substrate is fine but if you really want to do it right with miracle grow potting soil and use the eco as a cap now is a great time to do it there are tons of good posts on how to do it
pirayaman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 03:55 AM   #4
karce87
Long-time Lurker

PTrader: (24/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to karce87

Tie your anubias on some thing so the rhizome doesnt rot. Like pirayaman said, split the HG into small clumps and spread them out evenly. About the shrimps, I think they are too stressed to eat. The tetras must have harassed them a lot with so little plants in the tank. you probably will not see any shrimps in the tank very soon unless you do something about that.
karce87 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 04:02 AM   #5
Monster Fish
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin9xo View Post
hi

I guess i havent done enough research to make a plant tank but is there any way to fix this?

my Substrate i used is Eco complete and i heard that it breaks down easily and it is really bad. Today, i read to put dirt underneath the substrate so the nutrients stay in so the eco complete becomes useful...

I already put planted my 6 clumps of dwarf hair grass and one anubias with 7 rummy nose tetra and 6 RCS.

Is there any way to fix this or are my plants screwed?

AND my red cherry shrimps arent eating my algae wafers or the flakes that have fallen to the ground from the fish

sorry very new at this

Eco-complete doesn't break down. Putting dirt under it is a whole different ballgame so I would just stick to using root tabs for now.

Separate the hairgrass into smaller clumps and it should do better. The anubias rhizome should always be above the substrate.

Did you cycle your tank?

Without knowing your water chemistry, the shrimp might be in the wrong conditions.
RAOK Club #77|The Fraternity of Dirt #112
Monster Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 04:07 AM   #6
sarahspins
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)

DHG grows really slowly with low light and no CO2 - I'd only worry if you see it turning brown and dying off, otherwise it's just going to take some time. I agree to separate it more... you need tiny clumps with no more than a dozen or so stems.
sarahspins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 05:16 AM   #7
kevin9xo
Algae Grower

My water chemistry is fine its all low levels and i think i know why my shrimps were stressed because my green fire tetra (i exchanged them with rummy nose) were nipping at my shrimps but now they are out and eating everything.

i have a 15 watt light and that black mini filter with the sponge in front is my co2 diffuser and the co2 bubbles stay in the sponge but im gonna buy a power head so it can let the co2 spread around
kevin9xo is offline   Reply With Quote